HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulin DUI

Old
02-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Oilbender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have no issue with MADD. My problem is the double standard.

Yeah, drinking and driving is bad and should be curbed. But there are many more other impairments which need just as much or more attention. But because of whatever reason, MADD refuses to acknowledge them. Probably because many members themselves are guilty.

Drinking and driving is so horrible, despite more accidents probably occurring from devices like GPS, cellphones, eating, putting on makeup, etc. It cheapens the effort. If Bulin was busted talking on the phone in a city/town that chastises it as much as we do drinking and driving, would any of you really give a crap? Probably not.

Just my 2 cents.
"Daddy I swear to god I wasn't on my cellphone. I totally smashed up the BMW. I'm so sorry daddy!"

(I hope I don't have to explain this one)

Oilbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Why should an association (or whatever they are designated) like MADD be expected to expand their message. Their entire membership was established based on the notion of them having a common exprience of being affected by drunk drivers.

They weren't set up to be the social concience of all things related to driving.

That's not to say there isn't a place for a group dedicated to the cause of all other driving issues, it's just pointing out that MADD simply isn't that group.
Very good point and I considered that when I addressed the issue.

It was merely a suggestion for a group that is such an advocate of making "the right choice" when it comes to driving could expand their realm to cover "the right choices" with their message.

After-all, they are a well known, established organization in the lobbyist community. I couldn't think of a better organization to take up the cause in a short order.

Cheers!

Julio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have no issue with MADD. My problem is the double standard.

Yeah, drinking and driving is bad and should be curbed. But there are many more other impairments which need just as much or more attention. But because of whatever reason, MADD refuses to acknowledge them. Probably because many members themselves are guilty.

Drinking and driving is so horrible, despite more accidents probably occurring from devices like GPS, cellphones, eating, putting on makeup, etc. It cheapens the effort. If Bulin was busted talking on the phone in a city/town that chastises it as much as we do drinking and driving, would any of you really give a crap? Probably not.

Just my 2 cents.
Well, here is Alberta our genius government doesnt think its a big deal, cause of course the sniff the rural/right wing vote, where personal freedom is all that matters.
They, as most politicians, have no morality, getting votes is their only morality.
And I really dont see why anybody should have an issue with MADD. I dont think just because they dont make the cell phone issue their "issue" makes their cause any less just.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Why should an association (or whatever they are designated) like MADD be expected to expand their message. Their entire membership was established based on the notion of them having a common exprience of being affected by drunk drivers.

They weren't set up to be the social concience of all things related to driving.

That's not to say there isn't a place for a group dedicated to the cause of all other driving issues, it's just pointing out that MADD simply isn't that group.
Excellent post. The term in the charitable sector is 'Mission Drift' and it places at risk focus/clarity/purpose and potentially advocates and funding support. MADD is best served focusing on the core purpose for what they were formed to address. Besides which MADD is still dealing with a public trust/accountability issues about their use of public funds (something like only 20% of funds raised were going into their program initiatives).

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:

I may seem to be sitting on the fence, but I agree to this as well. Besides, and please do not take this as an insult to any organization that empowers people in certain situations to chage things, but MAID (Mothers Against Impaired Driving) doesn't have the same impact as MADD

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:29 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I somewhat agree, but by continually referring to it as "drunk driving", you are doing a disservice to your cause.

Drunk driving is not the problem. Impaired driving is, of which drunk drivers are one example. And as said already in this thread, your judgement can be impaired from many things like drugs, cell phone talking, texting, GPS/stereo programming, medication and lack of sleep.

Thats why I dont like groups like MADD and SADD. They should be reformed as groups like PAID (people against impaired driving) and get the real message out. Focusing on one group while quiet societal acceptance of many other equally dangerous activities takes place is very hypocritical and gives mixes / confusing messages to people. The fact that distracted driving is known to be dangerous and yet is ignored for the most part is very reminicent of how drunk driving was looked at back in the 80s.

Here are some links:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nht...wType=standard

"Driver inattention is the leading factor in most crashes and near-crashes ... 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds before the event. Primary causes of driver inattention are distracting activities, such as cell phone use, and drowsiness.
Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better. Impaired driving causes car accidents, and all of it should be handled as the same crime. Driving while impaired, whether it's from alcohol, drowsiness, drug use, or text messaging, should all carry the same penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbypants View Post
I was going to make a Heatley joke about hitting a 'Bulin wall, but indirectly you beat me to it. Well done, good sir.

Let's throw MacT into the mix for old time sakes.
If MacT was coach, we wouldn't have to worry about team members receiving DUI's. Our team would be well-schooled in how to be responsible, defensive drivers. Hemsky would make some comment about how his car is more suited to drifting, and should be used as such. Penner would alternate days driving a Dodge Charger, and a Winnebago. Moreau would be constantly getting flat tires, causing him to spend more time in the shop than on the road. Most of the team's vehicles would either break down or run out of gas halfway to their destination, so often that we'd all be left wondering how these cars were ever worth the price that was paid for them.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:43 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
If MacT was coach, we wouldn't have to worry about team members receiving DUI's. Our team would be well-schooled in how to be responsible, defensive drivers. Hemsky would make some comment about how his car is more suited to drifting, and should be used as such. Penner would alternate days driving a Dodge Charger, and a Winnebago. Moreau would be constantly getting flat tires, causing him to spend more time in the shop than on the road. Most of the team's vehicles would either break down or run out of gas halfway to their destination, so often that we'd all be left wondering how these cars were ever worth the price that was paid for them.

-JH.

Too good!

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I somewhat agree. But I think there should be also forgiveness and support specially if we see signs of true remorse (and we will).

I think we try too much to put hockey players in general on a pedestal where they don't belong. Not only we want them to be great players we also want them to be morally better than the rest of us and to be role models for our children. But they are generally not. They are just very very good at hockey and that is it. Frankly I would never consider overpayed undereducated entertainers as role models for my children.

Khabi made a boneheaded mistake and hopefully he learns something from it. The more important issue for us is: Is he still good enough and healthy enough to be a very effective goalie for us for the remainder of his contract?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I somewhat agree, but by continually referring to it as "drunk driving", you are doing a disservice to your cause.

Drunk driving is not the problem. Impaired driving is, of which drunk drivers are one example. And as said already in this thread, your judgement can be impaired from many things like drugs, cell phone talking, texting, GPS/stereo programming, medication and lack of sleep.

Thats why I dont like groups like MADD and SADD. They should be reformed as groups like PAID (people against impaired driving) and get the real message out. Focusing on one group while quiet societal acceptance of many other equally dangerous activities takes place is very hypocritical and gives mixes / confusing messages to people. The fact that distracted driving is known to be dangerous and yet is ignored for the most part is very reminicent of how drunk driving was looked at back in the 80s.

Here are some links:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nht...wType=standard

"Driver inattention is the leading factor in most crashes and near-crashes ... 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds before the event. Primary causes of driver inattention are distracting activities, such as cell phone use, and drowsiness.

http://parentingteens.suite101.com/a..._textmessaging

"Nearly 50 percent of teens admit to text messaging while driving -- an alarming statistic that now rivals driving and drinking in terms of danger and prevalence."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4776063.ece

"Texting while driving is riskier than driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, a study has suggested.

Their reaction times deteriorated by 35 per cent, much worse than those who drank alcohol at the legal limit, who were 12 per cent slower, or those who had taken cannabis, who were 21 per cent slower."

I reliaze this is off-topic and isnt meant to justify Khabi's actions, but its important to touch upon.

Edit: Ha, I see that the last few posts are right in line with what I am saying.
Both very reasonable responses and I don't disagree. Thanks for adding meaningfully to the dialogue.

I worded my post in the way that I did to be consistent with the very strong feelings that this issue does invoke in society. Which overall, I think, is a positive development.

At least as compared to the 60's and 70's where attitudes were different and problematic as it pertains to impaired driving.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote