HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your "I Hate the Ref" Moments

Old
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Yes, I should have gotten a two minute high sticking call, I was given a four.

He was checked into the boards. We play rec league roller hockey. its a no contact league.

Thats the thing, our goalie didn't check him, he got run over behind the net.

Yeah, and Mike has someone to blame for his broken collar bone.
Make sure you know the rules of your league, some leagues, most leagues actually have gone to a 4 minute stick infraction type of rule, any high stick, cross check, slash, etc is an automatic 4 minute penalty. There are guys who have been playing for years and still don't get it, not saying you are one of them, just saying it's important to know the rules.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
From L.A., left god, almost 10 years ago if I got my time line straight lol,

You want another reason why the guy laid on ya? lol Now don't get all pissy on me, but it's men's hockey, they all suck, generally speaking that is about 90% of the reasons why things happen in men's hockey, is because guys have either A. played in their youth, gave it up and are now back to it, or B. never played in their youth but love the game and are playing now.

NEITHER is a bad thing when you have your head on straight, but it's rare for someone from either group to know the game well enough to be able to comment without bias on a play that happened in a game they were involved with, either it was a GREAT CALL because your team benefited from it, or it was a BRUTAL CALL, because you didn't, there is no middle ground on about 90% of the calls made in men's hockey.

The guy got pushed into you, hard, not hard, doesn't matter, he was probably disoriented, was looking around wondered WTF just happened, looked for his stick, had you yelling in his ear, etc.

BTW, I am pretty sure it took less than 5 seconds to get the puck to the slot, so try this sometime, k next shinny or pre-game ya got some time on your hands, stand in front of then net, put a defenseman in the crease, have someone flatten you from behind or not either way, hard enough into the "goaltender" and then count how long it takes for you to disentangle yourself. You'd be surprised.
A. I'm 90% sure that the rink has been there for more than 10 years. Right next to historical Oxanard and Wagon Wheel if you know what that is.

B. I've mentioned this in the thread, this isn't beer league. This is a 16A tournament against Utahs top team.

C. I wasn't yelling at him and I know he wasn't going WTF?? And he wasn't tangled up he was laying on me. And there was a puck battle behind the net, and popped to the side and passed into the slot. Do you really think falling down is going to disorient someone? If this pissing match doesn't stop I'm out.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 12:27 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
A. I'm 90% sure that the rink has been there for more than 10 years. Right next to historical Oxanard and Wagon Wheel if you know what that is.

B. I've mentioned this in the thread, this isn't beer league. This is a 16A tournament against Utahs top team.

C. I wasn't yelling at him and I know he wasn't going WTF?? And he wasn't tangled up he was laying on me. And there was a puck battle behind the net, and popped to the side and passed into the slot. Do you really think falling down is going to disorient someone? If this pissing match doesn't stop I'm out.
16A is beer league for 16 year olds, hate to break it to you. Also, Utah's top team is like playing Hawaii's best.

Anyways, you are obviously biased in this and can't possibly see how the rule is applied in this situation, so you are right, I am done.

What's funny is, you even acknowledge that it isn't a penalty, yet you still complained and posted about it, that one, I need to wrap my head around, give me a minute, it's almost like the guy last night that got tossed because my partner was......

Smiling.

Old
02-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Gino 14

Quote:

He was checked into the boards. We play rec league roller hockey. its a no contact league.

Never heard of a no contact league, must be something new. No check, yes. To think that you can play a game like roller hockey and have it no contact just shows your complete lack of understanding not just of the rules, but of the game.

Quote:
I missed the part where you said the ref hit the guy into the boards. Oh, wait, everything is the ref's fault in your world, isn't it?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 06:32 AM
CanadaBacon

Beer league for 16 year olds?

Wouldnt it just be minor hockey?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 06:36 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Never heard of a no contact league, must be something new. No check, yes. To think that you can play a game like roller hockey and have it no contact just shows your complete lack of understanding not just of the rules, but of the game.
All of our leagues under Senior A is non-contact. It means like you state, no check. Everyone here atleast realizes (for the most part, you always get people that take the non-contact bit literally) that non-contact doesnt actually mean non-contact.

Old
02-20-2010, 07:18 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Beer league for 16 year olds?

Wouldnt it just be minor hockey?
LOL 16 A is minor hockey,

So is 16 AAA,

Are they the same league, not even close.

Hence the A league is beer league for 16 year olds.

Old
02-20-2010, 07:32 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
LOL 16 A is minor hockey,

So is 16 AAA,

Are they the same league, not even close.

Hence the A league is beer league for 16 year olds.

House league is correct term. Cant call any minor hockey beer league for obvious reasons.

Old
02-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
16A is beer league for 16 year olds, hate to break it to you. Also, Utah's top team is like playing Hawaii's best.

Anyways, you are obviously biased in this and can't possibly see how the rule is applied in this situation, so you are right, I am done.

What's funny is, you even acknowledge that it isn't a penalty, yet you still complained and posted about it, that one, I need to wrap my head around, give me a minute, it's almost like the guy last night that got tossed because my partner was......

Smiling.
If I get a signature this has to be it, dumbest thing Ive ever heard on the board in my years hear(and I go on the Trade board). 16 year old beer league makes no sense either for obvious reasons. And I would disagree with CanadaBacon about it being house league. Almost any 16A travel player would dominate in house. Heck, Ive seen house games and watched players Id have a chance at playing player with.

And just because it isnt a penalty doesnt mean you cant call anything. You do know that right? And besides the fact that the Utah killed every team, who werent slouches, does Hawaii even have an ice rink? Ive always wondered...

And alot of the 16A players should be AA, but would rather be on a dominating A team than AA, and I should be AA(long story)

Edit:Errmm maybe not the dumbest thing ever just saw a proposal...Price+1st for Duchene....

Old
02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Today was my I hate the ref day. Im a clean player, everybody in the league knows it, and I have a good relationship with the refs. 'till today.

< 30 seconds in the third, down a goal faceoffs down in the offensive zone, goalies pulled. puck drops Im the 6th F so I go to the net. shot comes and its stopped. I get a shove and a punch in the face. Its not the first time Ive been punched in the face by this team, they're a bunch of ass*oles. No call. Ref was right there, asked me if I was ok, and I started complaining about the lack of a call. He says I cross checked the guy, and he hit me back. Bogus. The guy who hit me was on the other wing and came at me after the whistle blow. I complained some more and I get a misconduct- and I'm out of the game- no penalty against my team, just I'm out. I was at the end of my shift in any case, but to have a 6 on 4 as it should have been would have been huge. We could have tied it up with all that time.

f'ing stupid.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
If I get a signature this has to be it, dumbest thing Ive ever heard on the board in my years hear(and I go on the Trade board). 16 year old beer league makes no sense either for obvious reasons. And I would disagree with CanadaBacon about it being house league. Almost any 16A travel player would dominate in house. Heck, Ive seen house games and watched players Id have a chance at playing player with.

And just because it isnt a penalty doesnt mean you cant call anything. You do know that right? And besides the fact that the Utah killed every team, who werent slouches, does Hawaii even have an ice rink? Ive always wondered...

And alot of the 16A players should be AA, but would rather be on a dominating A team than AA, and I should be AA(long story)

Edit:Errmm maybe not the dumbest thing ever just saw a proposal...Price+1st for Duchene....
Before you get too deep there sparky, I know the hockey in Cali, specifically SCAHA, and 16A in SCAHA is pretty much, HOUSE league, if you want to be technical in any Eastern State about the Carolina's, Vegas, Phoenix, etc, I know you think you might be the next Roy, but trust me, it's house league.

As far as the UTAH team being good, that again, is pretty funny, yes, yes, I know, they have killed every team that isn't slouches, though I would suppose they should have killed the teams that were slouches as well, it doesn't mean they have played good teams, it means they are the best team in house league.

BTW, I love this gem,

And just because it isnt a penalty doesnt mean you cant call anything. You do know that right?

So, if it's not a penalty or infraction, what exactly do you want called?

That was genius.

Old
02-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Today was my I hate the ref day. Im a clean player, everybody in the league knows it, and I have a good relationship with the refs. 'till today.

< 30 seconds in the third, down a goal faceoffs down in the offensive zone, goalies pulled. puck drops Im the 6th F so I go to the net. shot comes and its stopped. I get a shove and a punch in the face. Its not the first time Ive been punched in the face by this team, they're a bunch of ass*oles. No call. Ref was right there, asked me if I was ok, and I started complaining about the lack of a call. He says I cross checked the guy, and he hit me back. Bogus. The guy who hit me was on the other wing and came at me after the whistle blow. I complained some more and I get a misconduct- and I'm out of the game- no penalty against my team, just I'm out. I was at the end of my shift in any case, but to have a 6 on 4 as it should have been would have been huge. We could have tied it up with all that time.

f'ing stupid.

And just think, by complaining to the ref rather than continuing to play, you put your team down a man. Not only do you get tossed, you hurt your team by taking yourself out of the play, but it's the refs fault. Brilliant.

Old
02-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Before you get too deep there sparky, I know the hockey in Cali, specifically SCAHA, and 16A in SCAHA is pretty much, HOUSE league, if you want to be technical in any Eastern State about the Carolina's, Vegas, Phoenix, etc, I know you think you might be the next Roy, but trust me, it's house league.

As far as the UTAH team being good, that again, is pretty funny, yes, yes, I know, they have killed every team that isn't slouches, though I would suppose they should have killed the teams that were slouches as well, it doesn't mean they have played good teams, it means they are the best team in house league.

BTW, I love this gem,

And just because it isnt a penalty doesnt mean you cant call anything. You do know that right?

So, if it's not a penalty or infraction, what exactly do you want called?

You said you havent been here for 10 years, and you think you still know enough to comment on SCAHA hockey? Its changed...alot. And you still believe this is house league quality in 16A? Maybe you should come over and watch a 16A game, then a house game. Its night and day. I could go out as player and do fairly well, and I havent skated out in a league in since first year squirt(or last year mite agewise). I just filled in for about 10 minutes once earlier last year when a goalie was late. I didnt try and had a shutout against what I learned was the by far top team. Only had to try on one kid...a former travel teammate the year before who no one would take due to his 'tude. And it could of been called an in the crease, crease violation after he didnt attempt to get up or out of the crease. Not a penalty.

That was genius.
Quote:
And just think, by complaining to the ref rather than continuing to play, you put your team down a man. Not only do you get tossed, you hurt your team by taking yourself out of the play, but it's the refs fault. Brilliant.
Didnt he say he complained after the whistle? But unless he cursed or chased after the ref I wonder what he said.

Old
02-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Stripes

Quote:
The referee didn't break his collar bone. Whether or not there should have been a penalty could be a different story, but you cannot blame the referee for the injury.

Also, if a guy totaled my car, whether he's driving me home or not, I'd be pissed off too. It was a no-win situation for the referee to be assigned to a game involving a player with whom he has a shaky relationship with away from the game.

Quote:
I've never heard of a roller hockey league that involves contact. It's not the same as no-bodychecking ice hockey where contact is allowed. I officiated roller hockey for two summers and we were told to call all contact. Roller hockey is not a contact sport. Hell, shoulder pads aren't even required once you get to a certain age (I believe it's 13-14 here).

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 08:52 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
The referee didn't break his collar bone. Whether or not there should have been a penalty could be a different story, but you cannot blame the referee for the injury.

Also, if a guy totaled my car, whether he's driving me home or not, I'd be pissed off too. It was a no-win situation for the referee to be assigned to a game involving a player with whom he has a shaky relationship with away from the game.

I've never heard of a roller hockey league that involves contact. It's not the same as no-bodychecking ice hockey where contact is allowed. I officiated roller hockey for two summers and we were told to call all contact. Roller hockey is not a contact sport. Hell, shoulder pads aren't even required once you get to a certain age (I believe it's 13-14 here).
For some reason, I believe you are mixing up the meaning of no contact vs no check.

There will always be contact in hockey, minor, adult, ice, roller, there is simply no way to get around that.

Case in point, Player A completes a pass and is watching his pass, and takes a wide turn. Player B, focusing on the puck has no idea that Player A changed angles, and they are on a collision course. They collide.

Penalty or not?

Contact? definitely
Check? No.

What you are saying is that your local roller hockey wants that type of play penalized, so who do you give the penalty to?

Old
02-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
I've never played roller hockey but isn't it a double minor for an on purpose body check?

Old
02-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:

no no, back up.

I got tossed, but no penalty against the team. re-read my post I did say that.

Quote:
I complained some more and I get a misconduct- and I'm out of the game- no penalty against my team, just I'm out.

Old
02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Stripes

Quote:
For some reason, I believe you are mixing up the meaning of no contact vs no check.

There will always be contact in hockey, minor, adult, ice, roller, there is simply no way to get around that.

Case in point, Player A completes a pass and is watching his pass, and takes a wide turn. Player B, focusing on the puck has no idea that Player A changed angles, and they are on a collision course. They collide.

Penalty or not?

Contact? definitely
Check? No.

What you are saying is that your local roller hockey wants that type of play penalized, so who do you give the penalty to?
Obviously incidental contact and collisions happen. That's reality in any sport.

In no-bodychecking ice hockey, you can still use your body to rub an opponent out along the boards. You just cannot throw a bodycheck or hit open-ice.

In roller hockey, you cannot use your body in any way to gain an advantage on your opponent.

To answer the question above, in the local roller hockey league I officiated, an intentional bodycheck was a Major + Game Misconduct or a Match if the referee feels there was an attempt to injure.

Old
02-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Oh hot dang! Never knew roller was so anti-contact. Major for a hit, wow.

Old
02-21-2010, 04:03 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Obviously incidental contact and collisions happen. That's reality in any sport.

In no-bodychecking ice hockey, you can still use your body to rub an opponent out along the boards. You just cannot throw a bodycheck or hit open-ice.

In roller hockey, you cannot use your body in any way to gain an advantage on your opponent.

To answer the question above, in the local roller hockey league I officiated, an intentional bodycheck was a Major + Game Misconduct or a Match if the referee feels there was an attempt to injure.
Where do you officiate that rubbing out is not a penalty in a non check rec league?

Just asking, because the basis for throwing a "bodycheck" is to use your body to separate body from puck, so if you squeeze someone out on the boards, you are effectively checking them into the boards.

Now if they try and squeeze through a hole that isn't there, that's their problem as long as you already have position and do nothing to close that hole off as they go by.

Old
02-21-2010, 04:25 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Oh hot dang! Never knew roller was so anti-contact. Major for a hit, wow.
What would you expect when the sport does not require shoulder pads, aside from the youngest age groups, and when not every association can afford a roller hockey floor, so they're playing on concrete floors?

Quote:
Where do you officiate that rubbing out is not a penalty in a non check rec league?

Just asking, because the basis for throwing a "bodycheck" is to use your body to separate body from puck, so if you squeeze someone out on the boards, you are effectively checking them into the boards.

Now if they try and squeeze through a hole that isn't there, that's their problem as long as you already have position and do nothing to close that hole off as they go by.
Bodychecking is when you either deliver the contact with force or when you are traveling in the opposite direction as your opponent. Skating along side your opponent and pinching him off along the boards as you take the puck away is not bodychecking in any rulebook.

You can use your body to separate your opponent from the puck without throwing a bodycheck.

Old
02-21-2010, 05:41 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

yah, i have no idea what 16A is, i assumed him comparing to beer league would be equal to house.

If it is like midget then no it wouldnt be house.

Old
02-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
no no, back up.

I got tossed, but no penalty against the team. re-read my post I did say that.
Go back and read my post. You spent your time complaining to the ref when you should have been playing, that's how you put your team a man down.

Old
02-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
yah, i have no idea what 16A is, i assumed him comparing to beer league would be equal to house.

If it is like midget then no it wouldnt be house.
Maybe I shouldve said Midget 16A, not just shortened it to 16A...

Old
02-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Go back and read my post. You spent your time complaining to the ref when you should have been playing, that's how you put your team a man down.
oh I understand you now. my bad.

however, I was coming off anyway not to go back on again. point was that there should have been an initial call from a ref that did see it and didnt call it for whatever reason.