HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tinted Visor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
  #26
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I still laugh at guys who tuck their jersey in on one side.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:48 PM
  #27
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Tinted visors arnt at the top of the list to chirp someone over, you may or may not get beaked depending where your league is.

Its not as bad as guys who put dumb ass nicknames on their sweater like the XFL.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 12:43 AM
  #28
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Tinted visors arnt at the top of the list to chirp someone over, you may or may not get beaked depending where your league is.

Its not as bad as guys who put dumb ass nicknames on their sweater like the XFL.
LMAO where do you play? Where I am there are about 4-5 teams that do that, it's freaking hilarious.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 06:37 AM
  #29
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LMAO where do you play? Where I am there are about 4-5 teams that do that, it's freaking hilarious.
Hamilton, Halton, sometimes Niagara and Peel.

Tons of people do it here, they get chirped the most (compared to other chirpable offenses)

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:50 PM
  #30
Pedagogue
Registered User
 
Pedagogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
If it's the grey tint you'll be O.K. People will just look at it and make their judgments without the chirp. If you decide to go with colors (yellow, etc.) expect to be chirped to death unless you have mad skills.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
  #31
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,197
vCash: 500
I like to have top of the line gear myself and rock the tinted visor. If someone starts beaking with me he knows I'm gonna turn it around on him and make him look really dumb.

Depends on who you are I would say. If you are well liked and give off the alpha male vibe you will be fine. If your a plug and have "F with me written all over your face" you were probly gonna get chirped anyway.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:11 PM
  #32
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
If you have to ask if it's OK in your situation, then it definitely isn't OK in your situation. I'm not one of those guys in beer league who would chirp you or try and screw with you because you've got the tinted visor, but I will think you are a tool, because you probably are.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:14 PM
  #33
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
I like to have top of the line gear myself and rock the tinted visor. If someone starts beaking with me he knows I'm gonna turn it around on him and make him look really dumb.

Depends on who you are I would say. If you are well liked and give off the alpha male vibe you will be fine. If your a plug and have "F with me written all over your face" you were probly gonna get chirped anyway.
In our league, ANYONE with all "top of the line gear" is getting chirped constantly. Even if it is a dude on your own team. Mostly guys just do it for fun.

Chirping is part of the game anyway, if you cant handle it you shouldnt be playing.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:23 PM
  #34
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,751
vCash: 500
I was actually thinking about getting a tinted visor. However my league u gotta wear a full faced cage/visor. Do they make tinted visors that cover your whole face? Where are they sold?
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:25 PM
  #35
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
I was actually thinking about getting a tinted visor. However my league u gotta wear a full faced cage/visor. Do they make tinted visors that cover your whole face? Where are they sold?
Posted via Mobile Device
that would get you chirped hard. Dont do that if they even sell them. That is complete dust.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
  #36
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
If you have to ask if it's OK in your situation, then it definitely isn't OK in your situation. I'm not one of those guys in beer league who would chirp you or try and screw with you because you've got the tinted visor, but I will think you are a tool, because you probably are.
You're gonna pass judgement on me without ever meeting me just because I asked a simple question.

There is a term above and beyond tool, it's DB. You know what they say, if the bag fits...

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:47 PM
  #37
ryangib
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
i'll only chirp at guys playing like *******s. i'll never give anybody any grief about their gear. i'm not going to go looking for problems with people. but i will def think to myself they are total tools. especially guys in the full crosby and ovechkin uniforms. what are these guys thinking? not only do they look like *******s, but what fantasy world are they living in?

somebody gave me some grief over having white gloves.....is that tacky and i just not know it????

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:33 PM
  #38
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
You're gonna pass judgement on me without ever meeting me
Yes. That's the topic of the thread, in case you haven't noticed. People don't wear the tint visors because they know everyone will think they're tools. You (and others who wear them) acknowledge this is true, yet do it anyways, which only reinforces the fact.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
  #39
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Yes. That's the topic of the thread, in case you haven't noticed. People don't wear the tint visors because they know everyone will think they're tools. You (and others who wear them) acknowledge this is true, yet do it anyways, which only reinforces the fact.
Umm yeah, I started the thread, in case you haven't noticed.

Maybe if you took...I don't know maybe I micro second to actually think about it or possibly open your mind enough to accept that fact it's only a piece of equipment.

Yap at me all you want on the ice, but don't judge who I am because of a piece of equipment I choose to wear. That's flat out ignorant.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 07:17 PM
  #40
Tikkanen
Pest
 
Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,292
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
30 years ago I bet guys were getting chirped for wearing a helmet. I always assumed people who wore the yellow or blue visors had some sort of vision problem. I heard the blue tint helps people who are color blind but I've never read anything to support that. The yellow I guess would help everything become more distinct, much like target range glasses. I've never thought guys who worse those were trying to be cool, it's usually older guys or guys who have no clue what gear to buy anyway. They usually look like they stole their gear from a hockey museum. The only thing I've learned from this thread is if you want to piss off Canadian players form a team of people who all have the mirrored visor and they'll lose their minds.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
  #41
LarryO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
30 years ago I bet guys were getting chirped for wearing a helmet. I always assumed people who wore the yellow or blue visors had some sort of vision problem. I heard the blue tint helps people who are color blind but I've never read anything to support that. The yellow I guess would help everything become more distinct, much like target range glasses. I've never thought guys who worse those were trying to be cool, it's usually older guys or guys who have no clue what gear to buy anyway. They usually look like they stole their gear from a hockey museum. The only thing I've learned from this thread is if you want to piss off Canadian players form a team of people who all have the mirrored visor and they'll lose their minds.
I guess you didn't notice that there are also some Americans in this thread who admit chirping at tinted visor wearers. I assume you're anti-Canadian. Furthermore, in all my years of playing in Montreal, Canada, I've never heard of chirping. I only learned about this crap from reading theses hockey forums.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
  #42
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Yap at me all you want on the ice, but don't judge who I am because of a piece of equipment I choose to wear. That's flat out ignorant.
Reading is fundamental:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
If you have to ask if it's OK in your situation, then it definitely isn't OK in your situation. I'm not one of those guys in beer league who would chirp you or try and screw with you because you've got the tinted visor, but I will think you are a tool, because you probably are.
You seem to be at odds with yourself right now. Case in point, your original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
How much crap can one expect wearing a tinted visor?
So in other words, you ask how much you'll be judged and consequently belittled for wearing a tinted visor. Most responses explain that you will be judged heavily and verbally assaulted constantly. Yet you decide to go out and get one. What's even more hilarious is that now you're trying to tell me not to judge you based on the equipment you're wearing, when everyone has told you that you WILL be judged solely for the fact that you're wearing a tinted visor. Gold.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:04 PM
  #43
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I guess you didn't notice that there are also some Americans in this thread who admit chirping at tinted visor wearers. I assume you're anti-Canadian. Furthermore, in all my years of playing in Montreal, Canada, I've never heard of chirping. I only learned about this crap from reading theses hockey forums.
I have been to tons of tournys in Quebec including Montreal and those guys beak as much as anyone.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:06 PM
  #44
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
30 years ago I bet guys were getting chirped for wearing a helmet. I always assumed people who wore the yellow or blue visors had some sort of vision problem. I heard the blue tint helps people who are color blind but I've never read anything to support that. The yellow I guess would help everything become more distinct, much like target range glasses. I've never thought guys who worse those were trying to be cool, it's usually older guys or guys who have no clue what gear to buy anyway. They usually look like they stole their gear from a hockey museum. The only thing I've learned from this thread is if you want to piss off Canadian players form a team of people who all have the mirrored visor and they'll lose their minds.
Chirping isnt about being pissed off, very very few people actually get pissed about the eq someone else is wearing.

PS Older guys ie oldtimers dont wear tinted/coloured visors

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
  #45
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Reading is fundamental:



You seem to be at odds with yourself right now. Case in point, your original post:


So in other words, you ask how much you'll be judged and consequently belittled for wearing a tinted visor. Most responses explain that you will be judged heavily and verbally assaulted constantly. Yet you decide to go out and get one. What's even more hilarious is that now you're trying to tell me not to judge you based on the equipment you're wearing, when everyone has told you that you WILL be judged solely for the fact that you're wearing a tinted visor. Gold.
No, what I am trying to tell you, is how narrow minded and idiotic it is.

If you're going to call me a tool...which you did. Don't expect me to just take it. There is a big difference between busting someones chops and calling them a tool.

Quote:
I'm not one of those guys in beer league who would chirp you or try and screw with you because you've got the tinted visor, but I will think you are a tool, because you probably are.
Think about it, you're basing an opinion of someone based on something they choose to wear. If you bother to read the ENTIRE thread you'd see I didn't get it to look cool. I got it because the lighting in the rinks I play in blows.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
  #46
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
No, what I am trying to tell you, is how narrow minded and idiotic it is.

If you're going to call me a tool...which you did. Don't expect me to just take it. There is a big difference between busting someones chops and calling them a tool.



Think about it, you're basing an opinion of someone based on something they choose to wear. If you bother to read the ENTIRE thread you'd see I didn't get it to look cool. I got it because the lighting in the rinks I play in blows.
You should really seek a professional medical opinion on your alleged eye issues with lighting. Make sure you're prepared with information on your family's eye history. Also, if the lighting in your rink "blows" as you say, then I'm not quite sure how getting a tinted visor will help other than having a worsening effect, but that's something your local opthamologist can discuss.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:06 PM
  #47
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Hamilton, Halton, sometimes Niagara and Peel.

Tons of people do it here, they get chirped the most (compared to other chirpable offenses)
Lol where in Peel have you seen this? I've only ever seen it in minor girls hockey. I've always played in the MHL (Mississauga Hockey League) and I've never seen anyone with a nickname. I've never been given the option either.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
  #48
IniNew
 
IniNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Keller
Country: United States
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
stick9 you see to be getting all fussed up over this. Allow me to explain where the people saying these things are coming from:

When you wear something like a Mirrored or Tinted visor there is a high chance that you are doing it to stand out from everyone else. There are certain cases that people do require tinted visors or like another user said about the blue/yellow visors that increases visibility, but again most do it to stand out. If you do not have the skills to back up the fact that you stick out like a sore-thumb compared to the other "normal" looking players then yes you are going to get ****-talked.

BTW I wore a mirrored visor for a while... would probably still be wearing it if it wasn't the pro-wave HS22, looks like **** on my helmet.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:32 AM
  #49
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
stick9 you see to be getting all fussed up over this. Allow me to explain where the people saying these things are coming from:

When you wear something like a Mirrored or Tinted visor there is a high chance that you are doing it to stand out from everyone else. There are certain cases that people do require tinted visors or like another user said about the blue/yellow visors that increases visibility, but again most do it to stand out. If you do not have the skills to back up the fact that you stick out like a sore-thumb compared to the other "normal" looking players then yes you are going to get ****-talked.

BTW I wore a mirrored visor for a while... would probably still be wearing it if it wasn't the pro-wave HS22, looks like **** on my helmet.
Only one person getting me worked up, but let's not go there ok.

What I find so odd is how people say if you wear one you better have the skills to back it up. I can see if you have some kid who rolls out there in the full OV get up, yeah you better be able to play. Then again, people probably said the same thing when people first started wearing visors.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
  #50
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
You should really seek a professional medical opinion on your alleged eye issues with lighting. Make sure you're prepared with information on your family's eye history. Also, if the lighting in your rink "blows" as you say, then I'm not quite sure how getting a tinted visor will help other than having a worsening effect, but that's something your local opthamologist can discuss.
Do you ski? Most skiers wear tinted lens goggles in even the lowest lit settings. It helps with depth perception and reduces that washed out look. I learned a long long time ago. Ever watch F1 racing? There a few night races last season and many of the drivers opted to wear tinted visors on their helmets. They said it reduced the glare of the track lights....yeah tinted visors at night.

Just thought I'd educate you a little on how tinted lens can actually help in low or badly lit settings.

But, thanks anyway for the advice. I'll be sure and let you know the prognosis. You have yourself a wonderful day now, you hear.


Last edited by stick9: 02-22-2010 at 07:46 AM.
stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.