HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Toni Rajala - LuleŚ HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Old
02-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Bills09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
it would be great if someone posted wheat kings game highlights somewhere.
im pretty sure on the wheat kings website they post game highlights

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
it would be great if someone posted wheat kings game highlights somewhere.
http://www.ebrandon.ca/video.aspx?video_id=1728

Rajala scores a beauty about 3 min mark. Flips puck up while skating around Dman, forehand fake over to backhand. Goalie completely bites on it.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 02:02 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

Rajala scores a beauty about 3 min mark. Flips puck up while skating around Dman, forehand fake over to backhand. Goalie completely bites on it.
sick.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:18 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
is this true? if so thats hilarious
It's true.
He also said
"I played bad for 1st half of season, so it was nice to go to WJC and see my friends, of course I played bad der at WJC's"!!!!!

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

That goal is DIRTY

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:51 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
It's true.
He also said
"I played bad for 1st half of season, so it was nice to go to WJC and see my friends, of course I played bad der at WJC's"!!!!!
haha thats funny, well im sure his english will be better in a few years. just better grammar but thats hilarious.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
allin4466

If your looking for Wheat King highlights go to

www.itvbrandon.com
www.wheatkings.com
www.whl.ca

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
M.C.G. 31
DELETE.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466 View Post
Pretty fun-loving guy as well..

In his interview tonight

"So tell me Toni, you Aaron and Jay sure have it going lately, whats contributing to that?"

"they dey are old mens, so dey are pretty smart"

on his resurgence with the WKs after the WJC

"I play bad over der, come back over here and am good again"
If he really said that, I already love Rajala. That's hilarious!

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:01 PM
bsmith14

are there any chances he stays in NA next year or does he have to go back to finland? i think playing against men at 19 would be good for his development. then maybe bring him over for a year or two in the ahl

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
are there any chances he stays in NA next year or does he have to go back to finland? i think playing against men at 19 would be good for his development. then maybe bring him over for a year or two in the ahl
And why wouldn't another year in the WHL be good for his development?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:27 PM
bsmith14

did i say that it wouldnt? maybe playing on a good wheatkings team as a 19yo would let him put up some sick numbers and build his confidence.... i also think playing against men in a pro league might do him some good too. also thanks for answering the question whether he has to go back to finland or not...

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:34 AM
McFiddie

From what i have heard he has to go back due to military enrollment duties.

McFiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Diaboli

Well, he doesn't have to go back to complete his conscription, but it would be best for him. If he doesn't finish it soon, he has to complete it when he'll be cracking the NHL (mid 20s), unless he of course will skip it and prefers to go to jail...

Diaboli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:46 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboli View Post
Well, he doesn't have to go back to complete his conscription, but it would be best for him. If he doesn't finish it soon, he has to complete it when he'll be cracking the NHL (mid 20s), unless he of course will skip it and prefers to go to jail...
Or he just defects.

But yes, I'd prefer he just go play in the Finnish league next year and get this nonsense over with.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboli View Post
Actually he can do it in short patches during the summer over a few years but if he's playing in the NHL, he might prefer the rest over war games.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Or he just defects.

But yes, I'd prefer he just go play in the Finnish league next year and get this nonsense over with.
No need to defect, this is not a communist country. Of course, he prolly wouldn't want to visit Finland anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Actually he can do it in short patches during the summer over a few years but if he's playing in the NHL, he might prefer the rest over war games.
That is true, but as you said, he would most likely prefer rest. There is also the thing that many of the athletes who have used this actually seem to have hurt their athletic careers more than help it. Or maybe it is just a coincidence, since success and failure in this measure is something that can't really be measured well.

Anyways, I'd think that the sports line over a 6 month period would be the easiest and most sensible way of getting it over with, especially as they are very flexible nowadays (read kindergarden).

Diaboli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
No need to defect, this is not a communist country. Of course, he prolly wouldn't want to visit Finland anymore.
"To disown allegiance to one's country and take up residence in another"

Doesn't quite mean avoiding the hit squads. Although Canada might extradite.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Uppercorner

Update on kid's progress. Team Ilves was predicted to struggle through a second season in a row and be destined to play-out games. The whole organisation had been shaken up and modernized just 12 months ago and now the roster was packed with young players from own organisation only with a couple of nameless reinforcements from lower leagues. Little did anyone know.

The new team played wonderful, creative, brave and skillful attacking with a lot of soul. Young kids were given responsibility, lots of ice time and their progress was supported patiently. The team reached play offs only to be knocked out by the best team of the season and so ended at 8th place.

Team Statistics:
http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilastot/koko...e=&l=k_pisteet

Toni's stats:
44 games 9+13=22 4mins -3 211shots 4,3% ice time 14.58
SM-liiga playoffs 6games 4+0=4 0 min

Toni was injured for a few weeks from an injury in U20 tournament and was also sent down to a farm team once during the season.

The season was a roller coaster for Toni. There were several periods when he totally disappeared from radar and then a couple of good bursts of energy. His movement was considerably slower compared to the time before WHL. The closer the playoffs got, the better Toni's performance became. In the playoffs he was a valuable asset for the team and was used as the second defender on PP because of his good slapshot which he then used very effectively.

All in all, it was after all a good year for the team and for Toni as well, although everybody noticed that some of the less touted younger players (Rask, Myttynen) had bypassed him in team ranking. Toni's back on tracks, his performance has a good upside again and as a reward he was elected to Team Finland World Championship camp roster. Apparently he will play a couple of friendly games against Slovakia.

Uppercorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:18 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

I would imagine he has by now completed his military obligations in Finland. And he is still under contract (ELC) with EDM. So where will he be playing in 2011-12?

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Lottery Oilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I would imagine he has by now completed his military obligations in Finland. And he is still under contract (ELC) with EDM. So where will he be playing in 2011-12?
He's playing next season in Finland. I'm not sure if it counts against his ELC.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
He's playing next season in Finland. I'm not sure if it counts against his ELC.
He has 3 years left of his ELC, next year would burn up a year if he plays in Finland as he intends to.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Stanleyjub

Pretty much zero coverage of him this season on the media, Granlund etc. getting all the hype. Not that he is playing badly, 9+5 on 27 games so far. He is topping his record from last year, 22 points.
Oilers is pretty stacked in the offense in prospects though, so being a part of trade could be the best option for both?

Someone who has actually seen him this season might want to give better analysis, i would think his size is still the biggest questionmark ever getting across the pond?

Stanleyjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyjub View Post
Pretty much zero coverage of him this season on the media, Granlund etc. getting all the hype. Not that he is playing badly, 9+5 on 27 games so far. He is topping his record from last year, 22 points.
Oilers is pretty stacked in the offense in prospects though, so being a part of trade could be the best option for both?

Someone who has actually seen him this season might want to give better analysis, i would think his size is still the biggest questionmark ever getting across the pond?
There was a little bit of discussion about Rajala a while ago on the Finnish subforum. To quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmeilja View Post
Well, I think Rajalas development slowed down already, when he was 16-17 years old, already before he went to play to CHL. I think it was due the high school. But the CHL thing was just making the things worse. When he left for CHL, he was like one year late in expected development, but during the CHL season he lost some speed and creativity.
I have watched his games this season, but he has looked pretty invisible. In one game he scored one goal, but othervise did nothing. He's very fast skater and likes to hit a lot, but laks physical strenght. At the moment he looks like a third liner for Sm-liiga team. Needs to improve his effectivines with the puck(even if he had a two goal game in tuesday, playing with Niinimški, who is top 3 passer in Sm-liiga).
I think Rajala needs to spend something like three years with Ilves, before it would be profitable to move to North America, but most likely he will spend 12-14 in AHL.
I can see him as an euro star after that, or maybe he makes the NHL.

Edit: Rajala had injuries in the end of 07-08 season and beginning of 08-09, wich of course slowed his development. Last season he had many injuries too and could'nt produce that well due the injuries. I think, he just needs some time to pick up his game. At the moment he looks maybe perimeter type of a player, but i'd say he's a self propelled sniper with that speed and playmaking ability.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Loffer

What's the biggest weakness in his game? lack of physicality?? fast skater, good shot, good stickhandling...? whatabout his hockey iq? he should be much more productive in fel. but somehow he cannot pul it together? he should be better by now. don't get it. wasn't he once the "next finnish superstar"? now it's all granlund...
this is ********.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
What's the biggest weakness in his game? lack of physicality??
He fears physical plays

bebl is offline   Reply With Quote