HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Anyone Hear The Moreau Interview On 1260 Today

Old
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Fishy McScales

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Which occurred the instance he was rewarded the 'C' and a hefty raise. I never seen the leadership in Moreau and still don't. I honesty thought Smyth should have gotten the 'C' at the time but we shouldn't play the woulda coulda shoulda game more than I already have in this thread. I just cant wait until Moreau is off the team and the captaincy is given to a more deserved player. I'm not sure at the moment who that might be.

Edit:

What I did see in Moreau was a good quality type third liner that played his role well.
Smyth was long gone by the time Ethan got the C.

Fishy McScales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Earlier this year in the middle of the big losing streak. Does he take it on himself, does he do what most captains do and deflect criticism away from his teammates?

No when asked what the problem is he says we have young goalies and have to score 4,5,6 goals a night to hope to win a game. Last year he blamed the young forwards. He made the dumb comments about it did not really matter how they play as the fans will still fill the seats etc... etc... There are loads of examples with this guy and he never seems to want to take responsibility for anything bad out on the ice. As I said IMO he was probably our worst forward in the first 25-30 games and in the middle of that is when he was throwing the blame around. If people are looking for things to latch on to, they will not have to look for long as there is plenty of examples. It certainly started long before this season. In fact I would say the cries about the stuff he was saying was worse last season than this one.
Yes, but can you prove that quantitatively without involving outliers?

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Not really. Has nothing to do with happy. Obviously you still don't get the influence for better or worse that can be weilded by those with titles. IMO you have missed the point of a fairly painful lesson.
Coaches give the players the recipe for success, Captains are the guys that go out there busts their ass off and leads by example tries to swing momentum with feats of courage and leadership. When teh guy that's supposed to be doing this does everything he can to show that he doesn't give a crap it's a bad influence to the team and it must drive the coaches bat**** crazy.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Coaches give the players the recipe for success, Captains are the guys that go out there busts their ass off and leads by example tries to swing momentum with feats of courage and leadership. When teh guy that's supposed to be doing this does everything he can to show that he doesn't give a crap it's a bad influence to the team and it must drive the coaches bat**** crazy.
Makes you wonder how the guys in the room react to it. A player like Cogliano, who has played a lot with Moreau through his career, always says the right things but you'd have to think there's a disconnect there.

Ah, the things we're not privy to as fans.

02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I didn't hear the interview, but it doesn't surprise me. Ethan Moreau, is really all about Ethan Moreau. Worst captain ever.
Shayne Corson?

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
AK Dandyman

I have not seen so many posters agreed on the same HF thread. You know, so many people, so many different view, perspectives & opinions.

But we almost all agreed losing Moreau as Captain is going to be a blessing.

Quite an Achievement, Captain Moreau!!!

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
isite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Exactly, thecaptainethanmoreau has unified the capitalists and the communists.

I completely expect him gone come March, but if given a couple more seasons with us, "thecaptainethanmoreau" may have made the Oxford English dictionary - definition: "To commit an unnecessary illegal offense while overexerting beyond one's skill level (potentially caused by the desire to impress on-looking scouts)."

An ineffective, third-line plug should never be captain of anything...except a sinking ship.

Goodbye, Moreau. We'll get this thing floating again without you.

isite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Putrid leadership. Used to be one of my favourite players, I'm so glad I didn't get his name on the back of one of my jerseys. This guy is an absolutel embarrassment, and now - sadly - I can't wait for this guy to be gone forever.

Last edited by Philly85: 02-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have not seen so many posters agreed on the same HF thread. You know, so many people, so many different view, perspectives & opinions.

Kind of refreshing, isn't it!

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:

I'd view it as some positivity on the Oilers boards(finally)

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 12:27 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Moreau is an idiot and the sky is blue.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Smyth was long gone by the time Ethan got the C.
Thats not true. Smith was traded the season before Smyth was traded and Smith was the captain still until the day he was shipped out. Only then did Moreau become the captain.

Edit:

Yeah, Smyth was traded half way through the season where Smith was traded in the summer. Thats right, but either way, I still think Smyth should have been the captain. Could have made that adjustment and have signed him. Ah well.. I wont delve beyond that.

Last edited by Vagabond: 02-18-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 02:17 AM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
I'd view it as some positivity on the Oilers boards(finally)

LOL, it takes some kind of a "Special" person to unite the HF Board!

And trading Ethan Moreau is one thing that no Professional team management can screw up on. It's a win win no matter what you get in return for this Special Captain Moreau.

If they get a 6th round pick for him, they can always say teams aren't offering much (for a very special useless player with a overpriced contract). If they got a 3rd rounder, great job. And if they got a 2nd rounder, the manager looks like a genius.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 07:55 AM
roadtoglory

we should all form a lynch mob and march to oilers headoffice and blockade it until they trade Moreau

roadtoglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Thats not true. Smith was traded the season before Smyth was traded and Smith was the captain still until the day he was shipped out. Only then did Moreau become the captain.

Edit:

Yeah, Smyth was traded half way through the season where Smith was traded in the summer. Thats right, but either way, I still think Smyth should have been the captain. Could have made that adjustment and have signed him. Ah well.. I wont delve beyond that.
lol, say that out loud to one of your friends, would be confusing as hell

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
lol, say that out loud to one of your friends, would be confusing as hell
Agreed. Its more confusing saying.. than reading it. It was a late night post as well so that didn't help.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
John Hancock

Gregor made a good point (go those of you who didn't stop listening after the Moreau interview was over.)

Someone called into his show expressing many of the views that posters have in this thread, that Moreau was basically saying he's not giving his all, and he's only trying because there are scouts in the stands. Gregor pointed out that it's not easy to suddenly play well, just because you know scouts are watching. For a guy who's struggled for at least the past 2 seasons, to just suddenly play well for the past few games would take more than just the knowledge scouts are in the stands. As Gregor said, if that were all it took, players would have career years each time they were in the final year of a contract.

I mean, it can't possibly have something to do with the fact he's been placed on an official checking line with Horcoff (they both undeniably benefitted from this, as they are playing their best hockey of the season together), or that our PK has started coming together as a unit (likely a confidence booster for all our PKers), or that he had a couple lucky bounces, and perhaps gained some confidence from those. That all pales in comparison to the fact that scouts are watching, right? I mean, that has to be the only reason Moreau is playing better, because he's fired up about getting traded. Because, logically, if a reason isn't supported by facts, but rather only by fan speculation, that's undoubtedly the one and only reason for something happening.

I think people are reading a little too much into the comments. Certainly, there's more to the turn-around to Moreau's game than the speculation (not fact) that he doesn't care about the organization anymore, or that he wants out, or that he has a giant ego. It's a tad absurd to think that's the entire issue with Moreau's game at this point.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
dasivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Gregor made a good point (go those of you who didn't stop listening after the Moreau interview was over.)

Someone called into his show expressing many of the views that posters have in this thread, that Moreau was basically saying he's not giving his all, and he's only trying because there are scouts in the stands. Gregor pointed out that it's not easy to suddenly play well, just because you know scouts are watching. For a guy who's struggled for at least the past 2 seasons, to just suddenly play well for the past few games would take more than just the knowledge scouts are in the stands. As Gregor said, if that were all it took, players would have career years each time they were in the final year of a contract.
I mean, it can't possibly have something to do with the fact he's been placed on an official checking line with Horcoff (they both undeniably benefitted from this, as they are playing their best hockey of the season together), or that our PK has started coming together as a unit (likely a confidence booster for all our PKers), or that he had a couple lucky bounces, and perhaps gained some confidence from those. That all pales in comparison to the fact that scouts are watching, right? I mean, that has to be the only reason Moreau is playing better, because he's fired up about getting traded. Because, logically, if a reason isn't supported by facts, but rather only by fan speculation, that's undoubtedly the one and only reason for something happening.

I think people are reading a little too much into the comments. Certainly, there's more to the turn-around to Moreau's game than the speculation (not fact) that he doesn't care about the organization anymore, or that he wants out, or that he has a giant ego. It's a tad absurd to think that's the entire issue with Moreau's game at this point.

-JH.
Except this DOES happen. Too many examples to ignore, Nylander, Theodore, Horcoff to some extent was playing for a contract, Pisani was going into UFA... Briere had 95 points in his last year in Buffalo. Theodore's save % went from .890 to .910 in his UFA year.

I don't think it's a reach to suggest Moreau (and others) can step it up when they want to. It's just as likely he was lazy and disinterested these past couple of years with no contract (or career like now) to play for as he was just plain bad.

dasivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:56 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I frankly don't really care why he is playing well now or if he was coasting before. I just hope his recent play helps get him out of town after the break. He's been at the top of my must-trade list for 2 years at least.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:07 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post

-JH.
I don't think people here are jumping all over him for these comments alone. He has made other questionable comments regarding the team and his team mates over the last couple of years. As far as him playing better when on a checking line with Horks, I call BS. That line just fits into his tunnel vision idea of how the game should be played. The guy's gotta go

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:07 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I don't think people here are jumping all over him for these comments alone. He has made other questionable comments regarding the team and his team mates over the last couple of years. As far as him playing better when on a checking line with Horks, I call BS. That line just fits into his tunnel vision idea of how the game should be played. The guy's gotta go
Again, people seem to be making baseless arguments around their own biased opinions instead of facts. Moreau has tunnel vision? Really? I'm sure you can actually prove that, and it's not just something you made up in your own head, right? Maybe everyone needs to take a step back, and look at this without their tinted glasses on.

I've heard the Moreau interviews in years past, and I didn't take them to be offensive. When he spoke last season, and supposedly "blamed the kids" for the team's failures, I didn't see it that way. He actually spoke quite highly of the kids in that interview (especially Cogliano), about how they are all very open to learning the game, and how he has great faith they will all develop into great hockey players. Lots of people missed that part of the interview, I guess.

Moreau has never actually stated he doesn't feel he is personally responsible for his own part in the team's failings. He stated last season that he was taking too many penalties while trying to play his edgy game, and it was hurting the team (he said something like "it's probably hurt us".) He also spoke candidly about how he finds it hard to help the young, offensive forwards, when he is primarily a defensive player.

Now, personally, I think he opens his mouth too much. I think a guy like Smith, who led by example, was a better style of captain than a vocal one that speaks to the media. But, I'd have less respect for Moreau if he fed the media the same generic crap the rest of the NHL gives us, when they don't say anything at all. I have a lot of respect for a guy who can accurately assess the troubles with his team and give a candid interview about it, as long as he identifies his own failures as well. Moreau does that, and I think more people would see that if they weren't busy blowing up any criticism Moreau gives to his own team, no matter how accurate or deserving it is.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 05:47 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Wow, people are taking this the wrong way.

I really hope we trade Moreau and I want him as gone as the next guy. but this interview basically adds up to.

I am working hard, if I get traded I will do the same for another team.

There is really nothing to see here.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

My biggest problem with Moreau, and Horcoff, is basically non performance in their contracts. i.e. are there not certain baseline expectations of contractual performance and due dilligence to tasks at hand?

Moreau has bordered on revealing non performance in this disclosure.

I wonder at what point, and how badly a player would have to perform, and openly state he wasn't performing for a non performance action to be invoked by an employer.

Not sure if theres precedent for this in sports but I'd like to see it start being applied on behalf of fans that end up watching players sleep walk through badly designed and undeserved longterm contracts.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My biggest problem with Moreau, and Horcoff, is basically non performance in their contracts. i.e. are there not certain baseline expectations of contractual performance and due dilligence to tasks at hand?

Moreau has bordered on revealing non performance in this disclosure.

I wonder at what point, and how badly a player would have to perform, and openly state he wasn't performing for a non performance action to be invoked by an employer.

Not sure if theres precedent for this in sports but I'd like to see it start being applied on behalf of fans that end up watching players sleep walk through badly designed and undeserved longterm contracts.
Unfortunately there is no easy solution to this problem. The only precedent that comes to mind is Laraque. In that case, the Canadiens basically told him to stay away from the team.

There is of course the buyout window, but that isn't really feasible in the case of Horcoff.

The Oilers have one bad contract after another - mostly involving supposed "character" veterans over 30. Of that group, only Visnovsky plays at a level to justify his cap hit.

Hopefully during the next CBA negotiations, the Oilers push hard for an expansive amnesty buyout provision. This is the only way to get rid of these long term bad contracts without damaging the team's competitive position for years to come.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 02-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote