HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

More grit on D needed?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 01:06 PM
jeffbrown

vCash: 500
More grit on D needed?

Looking at our D, and especially if Allen doesn't make it full time (I really hope he does), I think our D needs some sandpaper. As it stands, the D could be like this:

Ohlund-Jovo
Malik-Sopel
Allen-Salo
Slegr

Like I said, take Allen out, and the only true grit guy is Jovo. No one is "nasty". That said, I was looking at possibilities, but they are slim.

Klee-still out there and could do it, but I think he plays the right side.
Souray-injury prone, but is nasty & big.

Adding one of these guys would require the requisite adjustments in salary structure (ie) trading Allen (1 mill) and another (1 mill+) to compensate for one of these guys who will likely make about 2mill.

Thoughts?

Old
09-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Avery4Byng*

I agree somethig needs to be done about the grit. I hate to say it but Baron was a gritty guy we are gonna miss. Cant expect Jovo to be in the middle of the rough stff as we need his offense. Allen is a tough guy though. I would love to see Souray in a Nucks uni....

Old
09-25-2003, 01:39 PM
ginner classic

Corey Sarich would be my choice.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:31 PM
Impossibles

Keep in mind that although these guys aren't known as "gritty" defensemen, we still have one of the biggest bluelines in the NHL.

Jovo is the smallest at 6', ~215 lbs.

I'm not concerned about this at all. If the forwards help out more in backchecking, I don't see it as a problem.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:52 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Keep in mind that although these guys aren't known as "gritty" defensemen, we still have one of the biggest bluelines in the NHL.

Jovo is the smallest at 6', ~215 lbs.

I'm not concerned about this at all. If the forwards help out more in backchecking, I don't see it as a problem.

the problem is.. Canucks dont do as much backchecking as often as teams say.. wilds???

then again, Jovo IS the smallest guy on that blueline, ( which was a surprise to me) and the D line is pretty big overall.. we should see how it goes, but I have no problem going into season with this corp.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

This whole "we have a big group of d-men" thing is overblown. None of them are particularly mean and hard -hitting. This needs to change.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:33 PM
maruk14

Yep, this group is big, but it is still missing a big, mean, crease clearing defenseman. That role used to be served by Baron, but his play really tailed off as last year went on. I am hopeful Allen can fill the role. He is the only one within the organization that can do it. Grenier is big, but he will probably never be more than a top 6. This needs to be Allen's year or Burke will look to fill that hole elsewhere.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:47 PM
ping

You bring up a good point. I for one wouldn't mind trading Allen for perhaps a 1st rounder or something and then signing Klee. Only problem I see with this might be Klee wanting a 2 year deal and also how'd he play in the Western Conference. I have to say I haven't seen him play more than 2 or 3 times but what I hear about him I like. A solid, stay at home D-man. He might cost 2 mil though. Not quite sure what price he's commanding so I dunno about the salary aspect of it. Maybe we could convince him to sign for 1.5 or so. I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Closed Thread