HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec

Old
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
jamz

vCash: 500
He's gonna sign to Edm to play with Hemsky and Jagr

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
emb24*

gauthier will resign pleks 5 years 25 mill. yes we need to get bigger at center but these centers don't grow on trees and teams don't deal them for the most part - therefore habs have to groom some big wingers to play with these guys..maxpac, pouliot...deal one of price or halak for that type of player

guys like ryan clowe, hartnell etc come to mind

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Pedro McGuire*

theres no reason to give us ANYTHING for him... he is UFA at the end of the season and since your not going to acquire him to make a playoff push I dont see what the purpose would be.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
While I agree with you that Trotter has top 6 potential, you seriously overate him and under rate Plekanec.

Plekanec will be a solid 60-80pts center going forward until he physically starts to deteriate, I would put 50$ on that.
Can I get in on the action too?

$100 on Pleks

Theosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 03:28 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Plekanec will fall back, he is hot and cold player. It is a mental thing. These kind of players fall off once big contract is landed. Save this thread and we revisit it in a year. But doubt you will.

The only thing that will stop it is if Plekanec signs here and Trotter isn't given the chance. If Boucher is eventually coach then it will change. But I am gambling if that will be next year or not.

Guy Boucher said in interview a few weeks ago he sat down with Trotter and told him he has the talent to be high end NHLer. He just needs to work on one thing and it is only a matter of time.

Who would have said Streit be as good as he was after his first 2 years pro. That is the stuff that happens in this game.
Lets say Plekanec has a terrible season like last year and gets only say 40 points (half as much as he'll get this year, like thats possible to begin with )

Will Trotter get over 40 points? Will Trotter even start the year in Montreal? The only way he beats Plekanec is if gangsta breaks something and misses most of the year. Even if Guy Boucher is right and Trotter ends up being a high end NHLer you have to think that Plekanec already is one and Trotter might be four or five years away from being an impact player.

Oh and sign me up for the bet ; 100$ Plekanec has more point next year

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 03:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Right lets trade Pleks for a guy who's highest possible potential (with a great chance of never reaching it) is what Pleks has already become.
I don't agree. Even if i did, i don't see this team as a cup contender so why pay big bucks for a mediocore play? Might as well get younger, more potential, and with the money you save, you just sign another center, say Marleau as UFA and get kadri and marleau.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
I kind of hope the Leafs go after Plekanec this off season. Let them sign him for 6 million a year long term. That is what it will take to get him away from Montreal. Then Plekanec reveres back to his 50 point a season form? I love it

We are too small down the middle with both Gomez and Plekanec anyway. I like Plekanec but I would trade him now. But I know Gauthier will not.

I am willing to wager a bet Trotter will put up as many points as Plekanec next season?
That is insane... I don't want to take your money, but... how's this, I'll bet you 100$ with 2-1 odds... you win, i pay you 100$, I win, you pay me 50$... but with an injury clause because both are small guys and injuries are a concern... let's say whomever has the best ppg wins...

I don't necessarily disagree that Gomez-Plekanec as a centre duo is less than ideal long-term, though if were able to add another big goal scoring winger i think it would be manageable.

the problem is that the alternative to Plekanec is... well there isn't any. There are no viable UFA's available this offseason that we'd have any hope of landing, and no one sticks out in that mold that may be available on the trade market.

Losing pleks would mean replacing him with a serious downgrade, which we'd likely have to overpay to land anyways.

no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Rarely enough, i do agree with you here. Gomez is going nowhere, this we know. We NEED a big body at center on our top 2 lines. I also wouldn't mind trading him before the 3rd, packaged for something top in return.
I'm 100% down with trading him if they don't have a deal either done, or damn well close to done. Trading him for something now if we aren't sure that we will re-sign him is a no-brainer. I just hope that this management team has learnt something from their countless mistakes (and lost assets) in the past... unfortunately, their track record inspires very little optimism.

Quote:
Sorry, Schooner Guy took me up on it first.

Trotter is on the cust of developing and is hungry to make NHL. Plekanec has been inconsistent his whole career, hot one year cold the next. He will take his foot off the gas a little next year once he has the big secure contract.
come on dude, you better take my bet... you did offer it up to me and this was my first chance to respond (not too mention that i'm actually giving you odds since i feel bad for taking your money so easily).

Trotter is, at best, 2 years away from the NHL, and I'd be more inclined to bet that he never establishes himself a permanent role with any team...

ever hear of Darren Haydar? Hungry as hell... mind-boggling stats in the AHL... never had more than a cup of coffee at the NHL level.

don't be fooled by thinking that AHL success is a measure of NHL success. Maybe you're too young to remember our own Jason Ward...

as for Pleks, you are just flat out wrong.
Last season was the only professional season of his career where he took any noticeable "step back"... you might want to check your facts before you say things that are completely untrue:

2002-03- 1st year AHL= .59ppg
2003-04- 2nd year AHL= .89ppg
*2004-05- 3rd year AHL= .80ppg (small step back, but this was also the lockout year, where the talent level in the AHL went up astronomically, guess you missed that one...)
2005-06- 1st year NHL= .58ppg
2006-07 2nd year NHL= .85ppg
*2007-08 3rd year NHL= .48ppg
2008-09 4th year NHL= .95ppg

Plekanec has shown steady improvement as a pro since he arrived in NA. the stats are one thing, but his level of play itself has improved every season except for last year where he, like the whole team, went through a year from hell.

Plekanec is an incredibly skilled hockey player, and the likelihood, given his age and progression, is that he will continue to improve, not decline.

trotter is a completely unrpoven commodity, who hasn't shown anything at the nhl level, and while he's the same size as Plekanec, he isn't even close in the skating department, which is hugely important for smallish players looking to make it in the NHL...

don't get me wrong, i HOPE trotter can become a regular NHL player, but to think he'll be an upgrade on pleks, and as soon as next year??? that's just crazy talk.

Quote:
Trotter has better hands than Plekanec, there is quite a difference actually. Trotter on pace for 85 points this year as a 22 year-old in AHL. Most Plekanec scored in AHL was 64 points, and that was a 23 year-old. But I may have jumped the gun a little bit saying it will be next year. If Martin returns as coach Trotter will not be given the opportunity he needs.

But nobody will disagree there will be many seasons in next 10 years Trotter will out score Plekanec. Just not likely next year. I still stand by my first judgement if Boucher is head coach next year Trotter would get a good chance
actually Plekanec scored 66 pts in the AHL as a 21 year old, and was 22 when he scored 64 (in a year where the AHL was filled with NHL talent, and he led the bulldogs in scoring by 10pts that year).
but don't let the facts get in the way of such a compelling argument

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
theres no reason to give us ANYTHING for him... he is UFA at the end of the season and since your not going to acquire him to make a playoff push I dont see what the purpose would be.
?

there are a lot of playoff bound teams out there that would be salivating at the idea of adding pleks to their lineup...
West:
- Calgary
- La
- Phx
-Nash
and on the outside looking in: Minn, St-L, Detroit

East:
- NJ
- Buff
- Boston
outside looking in: TB, NYR, and possibly Fla/NYI

any one of these teams would make their playoff bid considerably stronger by adding a player like Pleks... and several of them have the cap space in the offseason to sign him long-term if they wanted to.

I could see a bidding war going on him as I don't think there are many other players of his caliber that will likely be available at the deadline.

Old
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

toronto will make space to get a center on july 1st. most likley hes going after marleau, pleck is probably plan b for burke

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

I would trade him for retooling parts, but we have a bare center cupboard.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Bekbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

as for Pleks, you are just flat out wrong.
Last season was the only professional season of his career where he took any noticeable "step back"... you might want to check your facts before you say things that are completely untrue:

2002-03- 1st year AHL= .59ppg
2003-04- 2nd year AHL= .89ppg
*2004-05- 3rd year AHL= .80ppg (small step back, but this was also the lockout year, where the talent level in the AHL went up astronomically, guess you missed that one...)
2005-06- 1st year NHL= .58ppg
2006-07 2nd year NHL= .85ppg
*2007-08 3rd year NHL= .48ppg
2008-09 4th year NHL= .95ppg

Plekanec has shown steady improvement as a pro since he arrived in NA. the stats are one thing, but his level of play itself has improved every season except for last year where he, like the whole team, went through a year from hell.

Plekanec is an incredibly skilled hockey player, and the likelihood, given his age and progression, is that he will continue to improve, not decline.
Totally agree with that

I dont think he will be a superstar but a good 65-80 points player....and another thing on plekanec, he's really good on PK and I really like it, that give him a bigger role on a team, you need a player like him.....Having a first center better and bigger than Gomez and a second like Plekanec is real good IMO

Bekbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 05:48 PM
j52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadleaffan41 View Post
Leafs fan, in peace.

basically I love this guy(plekanec) and just wondering what it would take for the leafs to get him? I'm listening to everything so speak your mind.
You should invite him to Pride week in Toronto in June and see what develops.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
?

there are a lot of playoff bound teams out there that would be salivating at the idea of adding pleks to their lineup...
West:
- Calgary
- La
- Phx
-Nash
and on the outside looking in: Minn, St-L, Detroit

East:
- NJ
- Buff
- Boston
outside looking in: TB, NYR, and possibly Fla/NYI

any one of these teams would make their playoff bid considerably stronger by adding a player like Pleks... and several of them have the cap space in the offseason to sign him long-term if they wanted to.

I could see a bidding war going on him as I don't think there are many other players of his caliber that will likely be available at the deadline.
The top run teams in the NHL understand the value of someone like Plekanec and how he may fill a need on their team. They also have younger players/prospects that will help Montreal down the road. My only concern would be if we didn't trade him and didn't sign, that would be the only really bad thing that could happen to us.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The top run teams in the NHL understand the value of someone like Plekanec and how he may fill a need on their team. They also have younger players/prospects that will help Montreal down the road. My only concern would be if we didn't trade him and didn't sign, that would be the only really bad thing that could happen to us.
agree completely

Old
02-20-2010, 08:22 PM
langcam

plekanec wouldn't ever wanna play for the leafs

langcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
I'll put $20 bucks on it.
YES!!!!! You should have asked me to give you odds!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 09:32 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
YES!!!!! You should have asked me to give you odds!
I am comfortable with even up odds

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:06 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by popovich View Post
gauthier will resign pleks 5 years 25 mill. yes we need to get bigger at center but these centers don't grow on trees and teams don't deal them for the most part - therefore habs have to groom some big wingers to play with these guys..maxpac, pouliot...deal one of price or halak for that type of player

guys like ryan clowe, hartnell etc come to mind
Personally, I would trade Plekanec right now while he is having a career year and expiring contracts are fetching a high return at this trade deadline.

If we keep Plekanec the Habs are small down the middle and on top 2 lines. Martin plays a puck possession game. Won't work against big, phyiscal teams. Unless Gauthier changes his coach, makes little sense to retain Plekanec. We have wrong coach at this time, relative to of build of team and style he tries to play. This creates major hole in team, big physical teams can take Montreal off their game. If not for having great goaltending tandem, and specialty teams we would be around the Leafs this year in standings.

To give Plekanec 5-6 million in salary, without major changes in team. Makes no sense

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't agree. Even if i did, i don't see this team as a cup contender so why pay big bucks for a mediocore play? Might as well get younger, more potential, and with the money you save, you just sign another center, say Marleau as UFA and get kadri and marleau.
1. Why would you want undeveloped potential over a YOUNG PPG two way center?

2. How is Pleks' play mediocre?

3. Why would you want to pay 7+ million per year to Marleau when you can get Pleks for about 5?

4. If you're gonna go that route, why not trade Markov or Cammalleri first? They're older, could return more, prospects can step in etc.

5. We're already thin at center.

6. What kind of example are you showing when you keep letting go of players you spent your time developing for 6-7 years, just as they're about to hit their prime?

7. If we're not a cup contender, why would Marleau, like every other UFA in the past 10 years, choose to sign with us?

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
1. Why would you want undeveloped potential over a YOUNG PPG two way center?

2. How is Pleks' play mediocre?

3. Why would you want to pay 7+ million per year to Marleau when you can get Pleks for about 5?

4. If you're gonna go that route, why not trade Markov or Cammalleri first? They're older, could return more, prospects can step in etc.

5. We're already thin at center.

6. What kind of example are you showing when you keep letting go of players you spent your time developing for 6-7 years, just as they're about to hit their prime?

7. If we're not a cup contender, why would Marleau, like every other UFA in the past 10 years, choose to sign with us?

1. I would say that depends on whether team management wants to keep Gomez or not. At the very most they should keep one (I would choose Plekanec) and let the other go. If the plan is to keep Gomez longer than another year or two than that then I think we should trade Plekanec.

3. Why not get both? If Marleau wants to play here than we should do whatever it takes within reason to accomodate him. We can free up cap space by trading Spacek and Kostitsyn to make room for him. Montreal fans would be wild with anger if they ever found out that we had a chance to sign Marleau and choose to keep Gionta, Spackek or Kostitsyn instead. And rightly so.

4. Why not trade all three? If you are going to do a rebuild why mess around?

7, Because we are the Canadiens.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:03 AM
MTL-rules

Wow, only in Montreal where the fans want to trade their no1 forward for spare parts...

Plekanec is part of the long term solution, he should be sign asap... we need to move Gomez not Plekanec... he's better in all facet of the game and will be cheaper.

I've never seen a player being so disrespected by his own base... maybe only Brisebois, but he never was the player Plekanec is.

The good thing in all of this is that he was one of Carbonneau's favorite and definitely Martin's... so he's pleasing the right people, not the know-it-all fans who think some no-name from Hamilton could do a better job than him.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote