HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

ESPNHL............Thoughts?

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2005, 07:14 PM
richardn

vCash: 500
ESPNHL............Thoughts?

Did anyone see buddy from ESPN on the score tonight talking about the League in theory they think would fix hockey. 20 teams, White puck :lol , no fighting :bonk: , Etc. I personally thought that buddy didn't know the first thing about hockey. A white puck on white ice, I mean give me a break. I did like his taxation idea however for the large market teams. It would discourage owners from over paying players because they would have a threshold for profit in a season. Once that threshold was passed they were taxed by the league on the rest of their profit for the remainder of the year. One other thing I didn't like was only 5 Canadian teams yet Miami and Las Vegas had teams . Why would you take one of the best rivalary's in hockey today away by removing Ottawa.

The thing I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to fix hockey and make such drastic changes to the game. It is not broken in my opinion.

I also found it very amusing that ESPN has been getting higher television ratings with poker filling in for the NHL.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Did anyone see buddy from ESPN on the score tonight talking about the League in theory they think would fix hockey. 20 teams, White puck :lol , no fighting :bonk: , Etc. I personally thought that buddy didn't know the first thing about hockey. A white puck on white ice, I mean give me a break.
Yeah. A white puck is pretty stupid. What was the point? Did he say?

Quote:
One other thing I didn't like was only 5 Canadian teams yet Miami and Las Vegas had teams . Why would you take one of the best rivalary's in hockey today away by removing Ottawa.
Miami already has a team.

Quote:
I also found it very amusing that ESPN has been getting higher television ratings with poker filling in for the NHL.
That doesn't mean anything.

Televised poker is insanely popular in the States right now.

And besides, I bet up here in Canada curling gets better ratings than the NBA finals do. Big deal.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:22 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Did anyone see buddy from ESPN on the score tonight talking about the League in theory they think would fix hockey. 20 teams, White puck :lol , no fighting :bonk: , Etc. I personally thought that buddy didn't know the first thing about hockey. A white puck on white ice, I mean give me a break. I did like his taxation idea however for the large market teams. It would discourage owners from over paying players because they would have a threshold for profit in a season. Once that threshold was passed they were taxed by the league on the rest of their profit for the remainder of the year. One other thing I didn't like was only 5 Canadian teams yet Miami and Las Vegas had teams . Why would you take one of the best rivalary's in hockey today away by removing Ottawa.

The thing I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to fix hockey and make such drastic changes to the game. It is not broken in my opinion.

The white puck would've been my cue to switch channels. :lol

Old
01-24-2005, 07:31 PM
richardn

They figured the white puck would increase scoring because the goalies would have a hard time seeing the puck. At first they wanted a glowing NEON puck but came up with a white puck instead.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
They figured the white puck would increase scoring because the goalies would have a hard time seeing the puck. At first they wanted a glowing NEON puck but came up with a white puck instead.
Did you have to strongly fight the urge to reach into the TV and strangle him?

Old
01-24-2005, 07:41 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Did you have to strongly fight the urge to reach into the TV and strangle him?
Ya i was tempted a few times. I couldn't turn the chanel though because I found it to funny. I could not believe Ottawa was not chosen by him as one of the 20 teams. He went on to say that hockey has no casual fan base in many US cities, with not a big enough of a hard core base to overcome the non existant casual fan base. Yet he wants to bring a team to Las Vegas. I could just see it now CSI Las Vegas doing an eposode staring Tod Bertuzzi.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Christ

Quote:
...and the players would have no difficulty seeing this puck in a scramble? A white puck has to be among the worst ideas for "improving the game" I have ever heard.

Old
01-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
...and the players would have no difficulty seeing this puck in a scramble? A white puck has to be among the worst ideas for "improving the game" I have ever heard.
That's an understatement.

I once played at rink that had blue dasher-boards instead of yellow and even that made the puck hard to see when it was along the boards.

I can't imagine what a white puck would be like for the players. Let alone trying to see it on TV. Or maybe he also proposed bringing back the Fox glowing puck.

So according to this guy, a bunch of elite players standing around dumbfounded while the puck slides right by them is supposed to make the game more exciting. Brilliant.

Old
01-24-2005, 08:03 PM
richardn

I forgot to metion 7" goal nets . 17 man rosters 60 game scheduels. 3 players off each team to wear a mic during the games. Its all a big joke.

Old
01-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I forgot to metion 7" goal nets . 17 man rosters 60 game scheduels. 3 players off each team to wear a mic during the games. Its all a big joke.

Well I don't really think a joke was intended by the writer but rather this article is all about Sarcasm and shots at Bettman and the NHL ..

The White puck = Fox TV contract that gave us the glowing puck remember that, like real fans need a glowing puck , that would be as bad as white on white

The Reference to Miami and Las Vegas = a shot a small non-hockey markets and Bettman's expansion , referring to the fact that some are so obscure that the writer chose two other cities Miami may be Florida ... Las Vegas might have been Phoenix, you know a team in the desert some where for example pretending not even to know who they really are, because they have no fan support of following.
The 7' foot nets was a shot at the lower scoring watered down league that Bettman keeps changing the rules to increase scoring ..Not the nets bigger but goalies equipment smaller and they can't touch the puck etc.

The no fighting = the instigator rule to lower the fighting .. which is a big part of hockey that fans love, but Bettman coming from the Basketball background and fighting is prohibited in the NBA ..

Its all a shot a Bettman with dry humour and then when you stop to think of it, you will see all the parallels to the Decisions and direction that Bettman has taken the NHL in his time as Commissioner ..

Last edited by Mess: 01-24-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old
01-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
And besides, I bet up here in Canada curling gets better ratings than the NBA finals do. Big deal.
Outside of the Brier or Tournament of Hearts I would doubt that's true.

Old
01-25-2005, 08:11 AM
leafaholix*

He was a businessman, said basically that he knows nothing about hockey.

Old
01-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
White puck :lol ,
:lol

Old
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
They figured the white puck would increase scoring because the goalies would have a hard time seeing the puck.
just the goalies?

back to the drawing board...

Closed Thread