HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes keeping Mueller; Looking for a top 6 forward and depth Dman before deadline?

Old
02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
He doesn't need to be fast to play his game. What is the harm in offering him another year, at a decent rate? We stand to gain a lot of leadership, insurance for the bottom pairing and more competition in camp. With the farm about to cough up a handful of NHL ready guys we still need a veteran presence.
Aucoin has exceeded expectations, and I bet someone (if it isn't us) will offer him a multi-year deal in the summer after the bounce-back season he has had for us. I'm not sure if I want us to be the team to do that. I'd expect a steep decline in Season 3, with potential youngsters in Ahnelov/Goncharov probably ready to take that step.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Might also throw in Hanzal as far as delivering goes.
You're right. I should have mentioned Hanzal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Aucoin has exceeded expectations, and I bet someone (if it isn't us) will offer him a multi-year deal in the summer after the bounce-back season he has had for us. I'm not sure if I want us to be the team to do that. I'd expect a steep decline in Season 3, with potential youngsters in Ahnelov/Goncharov probably ready to take that step.
I agree that Aucoin is exceeding expectations so far this season, although not by a lot. He is also 36 and will be 37 before next season starts. I would be surprised to see him get a multi-year deal, especially with the CBA rules for guys that sign contracts past 35 (35 is the cut off, right?).

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
You're right. I should have mentioned Hanzal.

I agree that Aucoin is exceeding expectations so far this season, although not by a lot. He is also 36 and will be 37 before next season starts. I would be surprised to see him get a multi-year deal, especially with the CBA rules for guys that sign contracts past 35 (35 is the cut off, right?).
Aucoin moved his family to the desert last August and has been an excellent addition to our blue line. I think we can expect that he will sign for another year in the desert and take it a year at a time after that.
He still competes at a high level even at his age.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Might also throw in Hanzal as far as delivering goes. He is a 1st round pick so I guess it's expected, but the drafting track record around here isn't very good so I want as much credit as possible for him. Hanzal has really quietly had a nice offensive year on the Czech line. He's already two points away from meeting his total last year.
Totally agree, I just didn't mention his name because the discussion was about Yandle.

Sinurgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Why dont we trade for Stralman? a 3rd round pick will do plus hes a monster on the PP.

CBJ fan here. We got Strahlman specifically because of his puck-moving and pp abilities, something Columbus sorely needed. Not likely to turn him loose unless there is a return significantly higher than a third round pick. Thanks for noticing, though.

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Might also throw in Hanzal as far as delivering goes. He is a 1st round pick so I guess it's expected, but the drafting track record around here isn't very good so I want as much credit as possible for him. Hanzal has really quietly had a nice offensive year on the Czech line. He's already two points away from meeting his total last year.
I like Hanzal, and he's a lock for a long NHL career, but he's got long way to go before being considered "elite".

Yandle reminds me a lot of Niedermayer. Not a poor man's Niedermayer either. After watching him this season, I think Yandle has all-star potential. I wouldn't say that about Hanzal.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I like Hanzal, and he's a lock for a long NHL career, but he's got long way to go before being considered "elite".

Yandle reminds me a lot of Niedermayer. Not a poor man's Niedermayer either. After watching him this season, I think Yandle has all-star potential. I wouldn't say that about Hanzal.
I see Hanzal in the same mold as Michael Handzus, a defensive forward that pots around 40-50 points a season. I do think Hanzal has the potential to be more of an offensive presence than Handzus but whether or not he's able to tap into it remains to be seen. If he ends up a 50 point player that challenges for the Selke I'll be happy but if the hockey gods could bless Phoenix for once, he'll turn into a 25 goal, 45 assist player that still challenges for the Selke!

Sinurgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123jp View Post
CBJ fan here. We got Strahlman specifically because of his puck-moving and pp abilities, something Columbus sorely needed. Not likely to turn him loose unless there is a return significantly higher than a third round pick. Thanks for noticing, though.
Young, cheap, and the top pp performer on your team can't be had for a third? God, you guys are a bunch of misers!

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

In fairness, CBJ only invested a third-round pick to get Stralman in the first place, so I don't think the proposal was too outlandish. I'm not sure he'd be that great for us 5-on-5 compared to anyone we already have, and CBJ simply doesn't have anyone else to QB their PP. He's appeared soft and injury-prone to me, but is effective in the role they have him play.

I think our problems on the PP stem from not having a forward capable of setting things up from the side boards. We have plenty of options at the point with Jovo, Yandle, Aucoin.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Yeah, we are getting enough O from the D. The PP needs an F that can bury chances.

Old
02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
123jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Young, cheap, and the top pp performer on your team can't be had for a third? God, you guys are a bunch of misers!
In the midwest we call that being thrifty

Now if you are looking for an improvement in your power play, we could be persuaded (for the right deal, of course) to part with Kristian Huselius.

123jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 11:49 PM
moosemeister

So what are your guys' opinion in a trade?

I think we should trade some of our picks away rather than players. Maybe some guys who don't have a chance of making our team.

I think we should really get a second line center. The top line of Doan, Lang and Lombardi is actually coming together quite well. I think having a second line center play between Mueller and Tiks (when he comes back) would be a nifty line. Just my two cents

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Soundwave

How about ...

Cogliano
Souray
EDM 3rd

for

Turris
Vandermeer

Adds a young forward who has had a down year in Edmonton but needs ice time. With Lombardi that would be a crazy fast group upfront.

Oilers eat Vandermeer's last year, and you get Souray who is a large upgrade over Vandermeer at only 4.5 mill for the last two years of his deal (cap hit is 5.4 mill, but I don't think your GM is planning to spend to the cap anyways so this is a plus for Phoenix).

You can sub Souray for Gilbert or Grebeshkov if either one of those two are better suited, all three are offensive d-men. O'Sullivan can also be included instead of Cogliano, but his salary is a little higher and I'm not sure how much Phoenix can spend.

Oilers get a piece to help rebuild with in Turris and they wanted him at the 07 draft.

Last edited by Soundwave: 02-18-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
How about ...

Cogliano
Souray
EDM 3rd

for

Turris
Vandermeer

Adds a young forward who has had a down year in Edmonton but needs ice time. With Lombardi that would be a crazy fast group upfront.

Oilers eat Vandermeer's last year, and you get Souray who is a large upgrade over Vandermeer at only 4.5 mill for the last two years of his deal (cap hit is 5.4 mill, but I don't think your GM is planning to spend to the cap anyways so this is a plus for Phoenix).

You can sub Souray for Gilbert or Grebeshkov if either one of those two are better suited, all three are offensive d-men. O'Sullivan can also be included instead of Cogliano, but his salary is a little higher and I'm not sure how much Phoenix can spend.

Oilers get a piece to help rebuild with in Turris and they wanted him at the 07 draft.
I can almost guarantee that Turris is one of the few untouchables in our organization. Souray's contract and injury history drastically lowers his value, and again, I don't think an offensive defenceman is an area of concern for us with Yandle/Jovo practically filling the role Souray would theoretically bring. Maybe swap Turris for Mueller and we'd be onto something.

Old
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
ducky

Turris is not going to be traded. He is still considered the future #1 centre in Phoenix.

Not that he is untouchable but Cogliano, Souray and a 3rd? You really think Phoenix would consider that?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Soundwave

His numbers in the AHL don't look so hot though for someone who projects to be a no.1 center. I dunno, I think there is some risk there with him.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The only numbers that matter for Turris are followed by an l, a b, and an s.

Old
02-18-2010, 12:23 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Alex Goligoski + Ruslan Fedotenko for Mueller

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Give me the address where I need to drop Mueller off.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
I doubt Gogo will be traded with Gonch and Letang's contract status for next year is still unclear.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
I will glady hand deliever Mueller for that package.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 05:21 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
I doubt Gogo will be traded with Gonch and Letang's contract status for next year is still unclear.
I agree but I think it would be a fair trade if this wasnt an issue.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 05:44 AM
future consideration

How about Stafford or Sekera for Mueller?

future consideration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
I agree but I think it would be a fair trade if this wasnt an issue.
Agreed. If they could get Letang locked up long term before the dead line I'd be all for this.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
yukoner88

To PHX

D Visnovsky
C Cogliano

To EDM

D Yandle
C Fiddler
D Sauer
CGY 2010 1st rd pick

How would you Coyotes fans feel with a deal like this?

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote