HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2010, 12:54 AM
nullterm

vCash: 500
Tinted visor, "Here comes Ovechkin!"

Jersey numbers like 99, "Here comes Gretzky!"

Dumb jersey logos like Superman's S, "Watch out! It's Superman!"

Those snake skin pattern gloves.

If you like to be chirped and don't mine the occasional guy taking a run at you, go for it. If not, then stay away from anything "special."

You can still pick common numbers from your favorite players, just not guys like Gretz, Jagr, etc.

Jersey 69 also brings special attention too.

Old
02-22-2010, 01:06 AM
FloPoErich

What if colored tape matches stick or gear? Still chirpable? I've also heard people chirping others for taping their whole blade... I don't as that's how I've started to tape mine...

Old
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post
LOL this forum is an invaluable resource. I wouldn't have done most of this stuff anyway but some of it I probably wouldn't have expected.

What's the deal with the hanging mouth guard? So you mean if I have a mouthguard to make sure it's not the kind that attaches to anything . . . like back in youth football or whatever?
I've honestly never been chirped for wearing one of those, but yeah, that's what they're talking about.

Course, I often wind up chewing it more often then not. Need to re fit the sucker so it's comfortable to wear again.

Another thing to note is that if you're a good player, you'll get chirped a lot less. The entire reason I'm never chirped might be because I'm blowing by guys who might otherwise be chirping.

Oh, and nullterm is right. NOTHING brings extra special attention like wearing 69.

Old
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
hungryhungryhippy

does he get chriped?

Old
02-22-2010, 01:30 AM
noobman

I think it's high time I invested in some pink hockey tape.

Old
02-22-2010, 02:00 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
does he get chriped?

No one chirps Robo-Cop.

Old
02-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I just thought of another one, it has been a while since I have seen it but the white turtleneck shirt under the jersey.
This will always be chirped as "sup, yashin?"

Old
02-22-2010, 02:15 AM
ju87

getting chriped re various types of gear might be an age group - relevant. younger guys place a greater emphasis on "style" whilst older guys in beer leagues may not give a crap at all about what other players are wearing.

Old
02-22-2010, 02:19 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

i havent got beaked at about my bauer 8500 helmet. only reason i got it was my past concussion problems...but im still surprised i havent heard about it. such an awkward lookin lid!!!

i wear bauer x60 skates (bought as a present). im surprised i dont get beaked about those either.

other than that. its all about the tinted aviator oakley shields. one of our dmen has one. he gets beaked non-stop. even by our players.hahaha

Old
02-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Madic

Some overly dramatic lists around here. Tinted visors, famous numbers and outlandish looking equipment is about it...everything else is generally fair game, no one cares. Especially off-coloured socks or taping the whole blade...no one cares. I've had blue gloves since my last year competitive and no one's ever said a thing.

Old
02-22-2010, 02:29 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
i havent got beaked at about my bauer 8500 helmet. only reason i got it was my past concussion problems...but im still surprised i havent heard about it. such an awkward lookin lid!!!

i wear bauer x60 skates (bought as a present). im surprised i dont get beaked about those either.

other than that. its all about the tinted aviator oakley shields. one of our dmen has one. he gets beaked non-stop. even by our players.hahaha
Top end skates won't get ya chirped unless you flat out suck. And I've honestly never heard someone chirped for a helmet, especially a protective one. Gretzky Jofas excluded of course.

And yes, Ovechkin gets chirped, as well as criticized on international TV. There is a reason he's toned down his look.

Old
02-22-2010, 03:04 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

i dont suck, but it's beer league. so you never know what to expect to hear from guys.

on a play last night i deked out both dmen, then undressed the goalie and put it off the post on my backhand. then as i skated away the goalie was lipping me off (not in a sportsmanlike humorous way), despite the fact he just gave up 5 straight goals to us.lol.

when im out on the ice, i will chirp at guys more for their actions/etiquette on the ice. there is one guy in our league who thinks that ever game is game 7 of the stanley cup finals. typical "sunglasses at night" (jim rome bit) kinda guy.

Old
02-22-2010, 03:14 AM
VickiUKHockeyFan

What's people's issues with half cage/half visor setups? As and when I start playing I'll be using one because, being visually impaired, friends who play suggested it'd be the safest thing for me in terms of protecting my vision...

Or maybe over in the UK it won't be so bad as hockey is such an unknown sport we all have to stick together?

Old
02-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
does he get chriped?

He probably did. 2 goals later in the game, they probably ****.
That's why Ovechkin is Ovechkin and we are mere mortals.

I've seen guys get chirped for not taking the ear-pieces off their helmet, but I don't think anybody is really gonna give Sid or Malkin crap for it.....Actually, teammates probably rib them for it.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Webernaut

Saw some guy last night with a half cage? Wtf? lol He def heard it from me.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
He probably did. 2 goals later in the game, they probably ****.
That's why Ovechkin is Ovechkin and we are mere mortals.

I've seen guys get chirped for not taking the ear-pieces off their helmet, but I don't think anybody is really gonna give Sid or Malkin crap for it.....Actually, teammates probably rib them for it.
I chirp them when I watch their games lmfao

Oh thought of another one too, some dude was wearing is elbow pads outside of his jersey...

Sweat pants instead of socks is another one
Inline pants
Neck guard (unless required)
My men's league chrips anyone with a full cage

Old
02-22-2010, 06:25 AM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
Wood stick
Really now?

Old
02-22-2010, 07:52 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshupacabra View Post
The Warrior Johnson stick.
I use this stick and have since it came out. I enjoy it very much. It could be called anything and I would still use it. Its cheap so I can always find it on sale and performs quite well.

So blow me.

Old
02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshupacabra View Post
The Warrior Johnson stick.
Sticks are sticks for the most part, I don't think most players even take the time of day to notice what other player's sticks are. But despite the unique paint job and name, that's a solidly functional stick, so I would doubt anyone would chirp at that.

Old
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I use this stick and have since it came out. I enjoy it very much. It could be called anything and I would still use it. Its cheap so I can always find it on sale and performs quite well.

So blow me.
I agree. Granted it's a different name and look, but it's a quality stick. I've used it for a couple games and it's right up there with the better of sticks that I've used.

Old
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
does he get chriped?

If I was playing someone that had the exact same equipment set up as him, I would definitely say something to him.

Old
02-22-2010, 09:11 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I've never heard anyone get chirped at in men's league unless someone looks ridiculous, which I've never come across. I've seen some dude wearing the Mikita helmet and no one says a word to the guy

Who cares? Just play some hockey.

Btw, yellow laces and cage/visor combo for the win .

Old
02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
I chirp them when I watch their games lmfao

Oh thought of another one too, some dude was wearing is elbow pads outside of his jersey...

Sweat pants instead of socks is another one
Inline pants
Neck guard (unless required)
My men's league chrips anyone with a full cage
spend a couple thousand $$$'s on dental work on a beer leaguer's budget and get back to me on that one.

Old
02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
As far as equipment goes I don't care what other people wear when it pertains to matching.

Things that look dumb ... intentionally miscolored socks, stick tape with graphics on them like skulls or smiley faces. Tucked in jersey .... may as well get a number 99 at the same time.

Guys making sure you know they paid $600 for their skates and usually say things like "Yeah I don't know where the net is" after making a nice backhand.

Basically big egoed morons who deserve belittling.

I will chirp someone who bragged about something like their $600 skates .... I usually wait until they turn a puck over and it results in a goal. "Too bad your $600 skates can't prevent a turnover, maybe if you had paid just a little more you would have been all set".
This - Aside from tinted visors, I have never seen anybody be criticized for their gear. It's just stupid and i'ts pointless. Fortunately I don't live wear some of you people live, we care more about how we play hockey than how we look.

Closed Thread