HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Possible to alter blade on composite stick?

Old
02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
skater25134

vCash: 500
Possible to alter blade on composite stick?

I'm thinking of a getting a Sherwood 5030 cc (I love the old originals 5030s but I need a longer one and the taller ones are much stiffer) but I can't find one in a blade pattern I like (Bourque)...a guy at a pro shop mentioned machines where they slip the blade in between two pieces of metal and heat it up...is anyone familiar with this and whether it's safe and how to find someone who does it (other than asking at pro shops)?

skater25134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
blueberrydanish

This thread pops up occasionally and all the responses I read say it GREATLY reduces the durability of the blade so unless you got a ton of cash I would suggest against trying.

Ive also heard about some companies that will customize a blade for you and keep it on record....the costs and if there is a minimum you have to get though...I do not know, Im sure its pricey.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 09:06 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
In short, no. It's really bad for the blade to even try.

And looking up the Borque, It's a mid, deep and closed curve. Have you tried the Bauer P88? the lie won't be as low, but quite literally nobody makes a 4.5 lie anymore. The new Easton Chara should be similar as well, and it's a 5 lie, which is as low as lies get at retail these days.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater25134 View Post
I'm thinking of a getting a Sherwood 5030 cc (I love the old originals 5030s but I need a longer one and the taller ones are much stiffer) but I can't find one in a blade pattern I like (Bourque)...a guy at a pro shop mentioned machines where they slip the blade in between two pieces of metal and heat it up...is anyone familiar with this and whether it's safe and how to find someone who does it (other than asking at pro shops)?
you say you love the old 5030's, which were wood sticks...no one said the 5030CC feels like/performs like a woodie

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 08:17 PM
elevation

I heard that some are trying it with compos, but this may get expensive cause a lot break very easily...buy some wood blades and 'the procurve' (go google, as I think I may not post a link ) have fun!

elevation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
pnewsom

I've seen Ovechkin heat his blade with a blowtorch, then slip the tip under the edge of a locker room door and bend a deeper curve in it. He went too far so he put his sock covered foot on the outside of the bend to decrease it while the stick was lying on the floor. The blade was so hot he couldn't keep his foot on it for long.

Can't be good for the long term life of the stick, but it can be done.

You may not get free sticks like Ovechkin does.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:19 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
I've seen Ovechkin heat his blade with a blowtorch, then slip the tip under the edge of a locker room door and bend a deeper curve in it. He went too far so he put his sock covered foot on the outside of the bend to decrease it while the stick was lying on the floor. The blade was so hot he couldn't keep his foot on it for long.

Can't be good for the long term life of the stick, but it can be done.

You may not get free sticks like Ovechkin does.
It isn't, and he breaks many in the process of curving 'em, they don't even make it to the point of a tape job. NHL players can just sign those ones and give them to charity to be auctioned off, not to mention the team pays for them originally.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM
rinkrat22

not to be a jerk but try using the search function at the top of the page

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
CanadaBacon

I put a bit more curve on my comp blades, i have had no durability issues. Mind you i dont heat much and am only putting on like an 1/8" if that.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I put a bit more curve on my comp blades, i have had no durability issues. Mind you i dont heat much and am only putting on like an 1/8" if that.
Me too. I use a propane torch and give it a little bit of toe curve. Never had any durability issues. Just be very careful.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Joe Cole

I have done it with no problems.

As per guys who say it messes with blade durability.... for all the NHLer's that do it, I have NEVER seen a composite stick snap at the blade in the NHL. It is always in the shaft.

Same for me, whether I curved the stick or not, it was the shaft that blew up, not the blade.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote