HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
  #76
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
I hate you.



CanadaBacon is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
  #77
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah the Cascades were horrible looking, M11 is really nice IMO. Doesn't look out of place at all with the rest of them.

I can't see how the M on the front is any different than the E on Eastons or Reebok logo though. If you're worrying about that crap, you're not playing the right sport.
the M just shows that it is a cascade and you should chirp if you decide to

i disagree with the last part, one of the great (and bad too i guess cause its expensive) is that there are so many different pieces of equipment and you can customize yourself so you have different equipment than other people

there really are not any other sports that have that

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 11:56 AM
  #78
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the M just shows that it is a cascade and you should chirp if you decide to

i disagree with the last part, one of the great (and bad too i guess cause its expensive) is that there are so many different pieces of equipment and you can customize yourself so you have different equipment than other people

there really are not any other sports that have that

its too bad that "what Ovechkin uses" is the standard for hockey purchases.

CanadaBacon is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
  #79
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
its too bad that "what Ovechkin uses" is the standard for hockey purchases.
My LHS had a sign, "Buy Ovechkin's skates, get his stick for free"

Skraut is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
  #80
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
its too bad that "what Ovechkin uses" is the standard for hockey purchases.
it was teh same way with gretzky. i dont think its necessarily bad because it gets people interested in teh sport, its just he is a bit over the top sometimes

i remember i used to emulate gretzky. i got his alluminum stick when i was a kid and i got my hair cut like his, and other things

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
  #81
hockeymaneeak*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Country: United States
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
I'll take any chirping as long as I get to wear my mouthguard.

hockeymaneeak* is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
  #82
The ORB
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
What is the big deal about guys wearing a neckguard? I don't get it. So a guy with kids and a mortgage who doesn't want to run the remote chance of getting his throat cut playing rec hockey on a Tuesday night, but then he has to put up with a bunch of lip from every no-name, no talent, dickless, hockey hero that he plays against.

I say the ones running their mouths for no good reason, are the first in line for a cross check to the teeth or right hook.

The ORB is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
  #83
FloPoErich
Registered User
 
FloPoErich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ORB View Post
What is the big deal about guys wearing a neckguard? I don't get it. So a guy with kids and a mortgage who doesn't want to run the remote chance of getting his throat cut playing rec hockey on a Tuesday night, but then he has to put up with a bunch of lip from every no-name, no talent, dickless, hockey hero that he plays against.

I say the ones running their mouths for no good reason, are the first in line for a cross check to the teeth or right hook.
I agree with you, but there are also levels of chirping. Some do it in fun and aren't particularly mean about it, more teasing and done in fun. Others are just straight dicks, which is who you mean in your post. I don't really have a problem with the ones joking around but the others really do piss me off.

FloPoErich is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
  #84
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ORB View Post
What is the big deal about guys wearing a neckguard? I don't get it. So a guy with kids and a mortgage who doesn't want to run the remote chance of getting his throat cut playing rec hockey on a Tuesday night, but then he has to put up with a bunch of lip from every no-name, no talent, dickless, hockey hero that he plays against.

I say the ones running their mouths for no good reason, are the first in line for a cross check to the teeth or right hook.
Weird. You don't want to get your neck hurt, but you're willing to cross check someone in the face?

Rob Brown is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM
  #85
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the perimeter
Country: Barbados
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
Wow, hockey seems to bring lots of hostility and anger with it...

Since basketball was the main sport I played growing up, its all I can compare it to: as a kid playing pick-up 5-on-5 full court - no one cared what shorts or sneakers someone wore, only how good they were.

Yeah, if anyone anytime after 1985 was seen wearing those tight fitting, really short '70s shorts with the lined trim, they'd probably get razzed, but with nowhere near the animosity I'm seeing here.

I remember stories of how Glen Rice had to wear hand-me down sneakers and pants to play pick-up, and by HS I doubt anyone was giving him lip on the court after he drained 3 straight 22-footers in their face...

Who cares what someone is wearing, if they can make plays?

nystromshairstylist is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
  #86
Wease
Registered User
 
Wease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Powell, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
I used to wear the inline pants and took some heat for it. Usually not to my face, but I heard it sometimes. And it wasn't that I was an inline player, it was that I had gained some weight and didn't fit into my lower equipment anymore and didn't want to spend the money on anything new. The inline pants were fine for pick up hockey and what not.

I really don't get the chirping. Who give a F, just play the game and have some fun...

Wease is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
  #87
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,062
vCash: 500
Yellow laces weren't that offensive before Ovechkin. I'd say they were mildly edgy back in the day.

I wouldn't wear them now though.

WVP is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
  #88
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the perimeter
Country: Barbados
Posts: 701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Yellow laces weren't that offensive before Ovechkin. I'd say they were mildly edgy back in the day.

I wouldn't wear them now though.
They came with my Grafs, and its not as if I'll spend $$ to get white one just to silence some twerp envious of my fine style sense

nystromshairstylist is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:17 PM
  #89
Eagle20
Registered User
 
Eagle20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
I used to wear the inline pants and took some heat for it. Usually not to my face, but I heard it sometimes. And it wasn't that I was an inline player, it was that I had gained some weight and didn't fit into my lower equipment anymore and didn't want to spend the money on anything new. The inline pants were fine for pick up hockey and what not.

I really don't get the chirping. Who give a F, just play the game and have some fun...
Agreed...Players take gear to a new level...today players are more about how they look out there then the skill they have. I've plaid pick up games where there were kids who just berated other players b/c they were using 10 year old equipment. Then when the game started those Ovechkin wanna bes couldn't do a single thing with the puck...but hey, they looked pretty fly when they touched the puck for 2 seconds. I just sat back and laughed and congratulated the kids that got made fun of before the games started.

My take....who cares what you look like out there, as long as your comfortable and the level of protection you need is there go for it. Enjoy the game and if people comment on your gear like its ****in fashion week 2010 just skate circles around them and laugh all the way to the net with your wooden stick and space suit helmet.

Take a look at my avatar if you wanna see unmatching gear!!!

Eagle20 is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  #90
kmillzy5
Registered User
 
kmillzy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
-'Glow in the dark' Gloves
-A Football Helmet
-Sidney Crosby Helmet stickers
-Alexander Ovechkin Helmet Stickers
-Wearing A Neon-Green Turtle neck
-Spray painting your Skates Orange
-Donald Brashear Helmet Stickers
- Hannah Montana Helmet stickers
-Lacrosse Goalie Shoulder pads

kmillzy5 is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
  #91
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
My LHS had a sign, "Buy Ovechkin's skates, get his stick for free"
That would be a CCM promotion where they're trying to get people to try the U+ CL, with the theory that once they have one they'll be hooked. It's not just your LHS with that one.

cptjeff is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
  #92
jmichael7753
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
lets see where do I start. I have a tinted aviator visor because they were all out of the clears, I wear a coyotes practice jersey as my jersey, I have a hole or two in my socks, and I use stick tape colors red, and blue. If anyone tried to chirp at me I would just two hand slash you take you down on wait for someone to come escort me off the ice.

jmichael7753 is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
  #93
The ORB
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloPoErich View Post
I agree with you, but there are also levels of chirping. Some do it in fun and aren't particularly mean about it, more teasing and done in fun. Others are just straight dicks, which is who you mean in your post. I don't really have a problem with the ones joking around but the others really do piss me off.
Yeah I dont mean a few guys who know each other having a joke and a bit of banter, that's fine. It's just this whole mentality that it's OK to abuse a guy on another team if you don't like his choice in equipment or the colour of his friggin tape. I guess I get the flashy stuff like tinted visors to some extent, but if a guy is just choosing to protect himself with a neckguard or a cage, why should anyone else give a damn?

The ORB is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
  #94
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
lets see where do I start. I have a tinted aviator visor because they were all out of the clears, I wear a coyotes practice jersey as my jersey, I have a hole or two in my socks, and I use stick tape colors red, and blue. If anyone tried to chirp at me I would just two hand slash you take you down on wait for someone to come escort me off the ice.
Man, you sound pretty tough.

Maupin Fan is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
  #95
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah the Cascades were horrible looking, M11 is really nice IMO. Doesn't look out of place at all with the rest of them.

I can't see how the M on the front is any different than the E on Eastons or Reebok logo though. If you're worrying about that crap, you're not playing the right sport.

Honestly, in the heat of the action I would have probably thought the M was a new or old logo of Missions.

I have no problem with this helmet, in fact it is the first time I see it.

Seems like an evolution of the idea first tried with the Mission one piece helmets.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
  #96
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,967
vCash: 500
I just dropped way too much money on a pair of Grafs, had the guy throw in the white laces. It just looks nice with the white tongues.

I do take note of the other guys' gear in warmups, usually you can see who the ringers are (bright tape/laces, pro stock sticks, really flashy expensive equipment, or older than dirty equipment).

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:43 PM
  #97
OprtnShtdwn
Registered User
 
OprtnShtdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
All you gotta do is pretty much go check out pickup hockey or a lower d league or something. Then, just look what sticks out, and what doesn't and try to blend in. Simple as that.

Don't get a visor or go visorless if you can't skate. Just simple black gloves with some white, either white or black helmet. Just fit in man, juss fit in.

OprtnShtdwn is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
  #98
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
lets see where do I start. I have a tinted aviator visor because they were all out of the clears, I wear a coyotes practice jersey as my jersey, I have a hole or two in my socks, and I use stick tape colors red, and blue. If anyone tried to chirp at me I would just two hand slash you take you down on wait for someone to come escort me off the ice.
You're so cool!


Rob Brown is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
  #99
OprtnShtdwn
Registered User
 
OprtnShtdwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Honest question. I usually wear this when i play pickup. Would you guys "chirp" this: The stick is a RBK 7k Sickick (was Kris Beech's, so Pro-Stock)




OprtnShtdwn is offline  
Old
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
  #100
evilstanley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: montréal, stie
Country: Hungary
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
yeah umm...

Petr Klima Jofa helmets are loltargets

evilstanley is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.