HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

USA vs. Canada (4:30PM PST - MSNBC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
  #226
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 50
Yeah, i don't see the big uproar about Canada v Russia in the quarters. You do have to beat one or the other eventually.

This is what people get for overlooking U.S. and Sweden. Honestly, I don't think Russia is that good. They have the star power up front sure, but they have alot of KHLers because of the politics and their defense is incredibly soft. Their star power is also made up of a bunch of cherry pickers who routinely leave their D hung out to dry.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
  #227
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Yeah, i don't see the big uproar about Canada v Russia in the quarters. You do have to beat one or the other eventually.

This is what people get for overlooking U.S. and Sweden. Honestly, I don't think Russia is that good. They have the star power up front sure, but they have alot of KHLers because of the politics and their defense is incredibly soft. Their star power is also made up of a bunch of cherry pickers who routinely leave their D hung out to dry.
The main reason I think Russia will beat Canada is because of their team speed. If Canada was having problems with the US team's speed, they're going to dread Russia.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
  #228
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Yeah, i don't see the big uproar about Canada v Russia in the quarters. You do have to beat one or the other eventually.
It depends on where the uproar is coming from. From a media perspective, it's because their ridiculous proclamations about the Canadian and Russian teams are going to be wrong for the second straight Olympics. One of the two is guaranteed to finish no better than 5th after both finishing out of the Top 3 in 2006.

I will be rooting for the Russians!

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
  #229
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The main reason I think Russia will beat Canada is because of their team speed. If Canada was having problems with the US team's speed, they're going to dread Russia.
Agreed. Canada will carry the physical play more so than they can against the US so that will go in their favor but I don't think it's a great match-up for Canada.

Russia has very good goalies and should follow the US strategy of almost baiting the Canadians into taking the low percentage shots most of the time. Russia's counterattack is going to lead to a lot of odd man rushes in their favor.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:46 PM
  #230
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The main reason I think Russia will beat Canada is because of their team speed. If Canada was having problems with the US team's speed, they're going to dread Russia.
That's what I'm seeing as well. The top 2 Russian forward lines are going to put all kinds of pressure on the soft Canadian defense and you can bet your butt Ovechkin will be looking for Crosby's head. If there was any question who the best player in the world is Ovechkin has answered that. He's the 2010 version of Gordie Howe. This is a hige lesson for future NHL Olympic teams that your 3-6 dmen need to actually be 3-6 dmen and your bottom 6 forwards need to be bottom 6 forwards. Having 12 all star forwards has not and does not work. Shooter-passer-grinder and offensive dman and defensive dman, it's a very simple formula that works in the NHL yet teams like Canada are ignoring it.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
  #231
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The arrogance from the media is why I hope Canada loses to Germany before they even get to be able to lose to Russia.
The HNIC guys have basically been trying to figure out who will win silver and bronze and awarded the gold to Canada long ago. The first indicator of trouble was their finish in 2006. The 2nd indicator was how Switzerland played them and took them to the shootout. The 3rd indicator that they should be considered doubtful to even medal was yesterdays game. Sweden should have been considered the favorite from day one cause they are the defending champs.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
  #232
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 20,544
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
That's what I'm seeing as well. The top 2 Russian forward lines are going to put all kinds of pressure on the soft Canadian defense and you can bet your butt Ovechkin will be looking for Crosby's head. If there was any question who the best player in the world is Ovechkin has answered that. He's the 2010 version of Gordie Howe. This is a hige lesson for future NHL Olympic teams that your 3-6 dmen need to actually be 3-6 dmen and your bottom 6 forwards need to be bottom 6 forwards. Having 12 all star forwards has not and does not work. Shooter-passer-grinder and offensive dman and defensive dman, it's a very simple formula that works in the NHL yet teams like Canada are ignoring it.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The HNIC guys have basically been trying to figure out who will win silver and bronze and awarded the gold to Canada long ago. The first indicator of trouble was their finish in 2006. The 2nd indicator was how Switzerland played them and took them to the shootout. The 3rd indicator that they should be considered doubtful to even medal was yesterdays game. Sweden should have been considered the favorite from day one cause they are the defending champs.
Double Yes

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.