HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

An angel cries every time a >$200 composite stick breaks...

Old
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Webernaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
Boo freakin' hoo. You had to use a super-heavy stick for a half a game.

Composite stick: 450g
Wooden stick: 600g
Two-piece: Somewhere in between.

Wowzers, you're totally getting my sympathy!

And as a heads up, aluminum is on the heavier side too. Durable as hell, but heavy. It'd probably rank 22 lbs on your arbitrary scale of weights and measurements.
LOL! I am a snob... I know. lol I wish I would have never purchased a high end stick. I now love the lightest sticks possible. FML

The X:60 is actually 439 grams but okay. I am now playing with a Sherwood RM7 Coffey curve. I am not a fan of this stick but it will hold me over til my Reebok comes back hopefully soon.

I think I am going to start buying off brand sticks. I have heard good things about the Crazy Monkey stick produced by HockeyMonkey.com. It's made in a True Temper factory and weighs 420 grams... WOW. I started researching a lot about sticks, where they are made, how they are made, who makes them, what sticks the pros ACTUALLY play, etc. It has been an eye opening couple of days.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 06:27 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
LOL! I am a snob... I know. lol I wish I would have never purchased a high end stick. I now love the lightest sticks possible. FML
That's one of the reasons I haven't switched to composite goalie sticks. I'll get a taste of them and not want to switch back... then I'm out an extra $500 a year. That'll pay for my league fees!

That, and I have a foam-core stick with a curve, lie, and paddle length that works great for me. Switch and who knows what'll happen.

I looked back and realize I sounded like a total ****** my last message. Must have been between coffees. Though I still have the same sentiment... it's not that bad to have to use a stick that's 5.5 oz heavier for a few games, is it?

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:16 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:

The X:60 is actually 439 grams but okay. I am now playing with a Sherwood RM7 Coffey curve. I am not a fan of this stick but it will hold me over til my Reebok comes back hopefully soon.

I think I am going to start buying off brand sticks. I have heard good things about the Crazy Monkey stick produced by HockeyMonkey.com. It's made in a True Temper factory and weighs 420 grams... WOW. I started researching a lot about sticks, where they are made, how they are made, who makes them, what sticks the pros ACTUALLY play, etc. It has been an eye opening couple of days.
Who said 420 grams? I think they meant closer to 520...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:31 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Might want to consider the Easton Synergy ST. They are a bit heavier than the high end stuff, but very durable and still not heavy by any means.
+1

i bought an ST for my first "good" OPS. its still going strong, and is an all around solid stick. one of my buddies on my team went and bought one after trying mine out, and one of our dmen swears by them. i havent tried the new model, but i have last year's model (the blue and grey one) and id say it is a good mix of performance and durability.

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Might want to consider the Easton Synergy ST. They are a bit heavier than the high end stuff, but very durable and still not heavy by any means.
This is why I use Harrow shafts and blades.

I have heard great things about the Easton Synergy stick and I might try one sometime from what you guys have said about them in here. I care about performance and durability.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:42 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
This is why I use Harrow shafts and blades.

I have heard great things about the Easton Synergy stick and I might try one sometime from what you guys have said about them in here. I care about performance and durability.
Performance, durability and affordability is also what im looking from a stick. Propably have to check out the Synergy next after my Sherwood has finished it's contract serving me.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:55 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Performance, durability and affordability is also what im looking from a stick. Propably have to check out the Synergy next after my Sherwood has finished it's contract serving me.
One word - Dolomite.

If you can find them, give a Mission Titanium a shot. I've seen them for $100 at hockeymoney. That was set to be Missions top of the line stick before Bauer bought them.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
I find wood sticks to be heavy, flimsy most of the time and the blade bends on toed shots. Unless I have just used POS wood sticks. I wouldn't know a good wood stick if I had one to be honest.
When would you ever bear down so hard on the toe that the blade bends? Can you explain?

If you're open to wood sticks I like the durability of the Sherwood 5030's, though they are a bit heavy. I've had pretty good luck so far with the Easton Synergy -- lighter but not quite as durable as the Sherwoods. I'm not a guy who takes slapshots outside of warm ups but I play a lot along the boards and battle for pucks and this stick has really proven its durability, and for only $25.

Quote:
I tried to find the Vapor XXXX on closeout in my flex and pattern but they were sold out EVERYWHERE like instantly. Over the last year I am probably up to about $1K in sticks... which is sick.
Yeah, that is sick. Is there one spot on the stick where most of the breaks have occurred? Wonder if there's anything about your shot or your playing style you could change that would keep your sticks healthy.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Who said 420 grams? I think they meant closer to 520...
The website says the Crazy Monkey Clear weighs 420g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
When would you ever bear down so hard on the toe that the blade bends? Can you explain?
Miss hit? lol I mean you've had to miss hit a one timer...

Quote:
If you're open to wood sticks I like the durability of the Sherwood 5030's, though they are a bit heavy. I've had pretty good luck so far with the Easton Synergy -- lighter but not quite as durable as the Sherwoods. I'm not a guy who takes slapshots outside of warm ups but I play a lot along the boards and battle for pucks and this stick has really proven its durability, and for only $25.
[ ]Read the thread before posting.

Quote:
Yeah, that is sick. Is there one spot on the stick where most of the breaks have occurred? Wonder if there's anything about your shot or your playing style you could change that would keep your sticks healthy.
$1K on sticks is not that much in all honesty. I am on the ice 4 to 5 days a week. $1K is like 5, maybe 6 sticks. Breakages all occur on the blade or about 10in from the blade on the shaft.

S17 I had broke on the blade like every one who has owned one. 8 months or so.
Vapor XXXX broke on the shaft on a one timer. 8 months or so.
Easton Synergy ST grip (shaft and blade combo) broke in the shaft while crashing the net. About a week (wasn't mine, just borrowed).
Reebok 8.0.8 broke, you guessed it, where the holes are on a one timer. 9 days from purchase.
X:60 broke on the shaft after two handing a guy (my fault). 28 days in (whew, still under warranty).

Old
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't have the greatest shot, but even I have problems with wood blades opening up on slappers.

5030's only last a few sessions before the blade breaks down and the above happens.

Weber, have you tried Warrior at all? You might be a good candidate for an AK27 combo. Then just replace the shaft or blade when it breaks.

Even better, find one of those Bauer Endure shafts and stick an AK27 or One95 blade in there...INDESTRUCTIBLE. Seriously.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Webernaut

I've looked in to the AK27 but the problem lies in the weight. That shaft with a One95 or AK27 blade would be ~500g which is significantly heavier than what I am used to.

Old
02-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think it'd balance out nicely. What about the MacDaddy?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I just got the CCM Uplus from Hockey Monkey for $140. I wanted to buy the Crazy Light but they were out of the Thornton curve so I figured I'd grab the U+ and save the $70. So I safely avoided the venture into the $200 range sticks for now. Anybody else remember when the first Synergy's came out and everybody thought you were crazy for buying such an expensive stick?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I just got the CCM Uplus from Hockey Monkey for $140. I wanted to buy the Crazy Light but they were out of the Thornton curve so I figured I'd grab the U+ and save the $70. So I safely avoided the venture into the $200 range sticks for now. Anybody else remember when the first Synergy's came out and everybody thought you were crazy for buying such an expensive stick?
Oh yeah... I still have my silver Synergy and then my bright ass orange Synergy Si Core.

Both broken of course lol

Old
02-20-2010, 09:03 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:

[ ]Read the thread before posting.
Sorry to have wasted your time with my free advice.

Thought you were complaining about the amount of money you were blowing on broken sticks. I used >$100 composites for a time but, being the cheapskate I am, hated replacing them because of breakage, wrong feel, etc. and that's when I switched back to wood. The Synergies are lighter than other wood sticks I've used and they feel good to me. But if you're a wood hater you just keep breaking your composites as you see fit.

Wish I had $1K to p*** away each year on hockey sticks.

Last edited by EmptyNetter: 02-20-2010 at 11:45 AM.
EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Webernaut

I take back everything I said itt.

I played a game last night with my back up stick's back up stick. Let's just say one sniped slapshot, one redirect and one peanut butter upper 90 along with two helpers and I am convinced it's all in my head...

Still can't wait to get my sticks back from the manufacturers but I am looking for a super durable OPS in the mean time.

Old
02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I've looked in to the AK27 but the problem lies in the weight. That shaft with a One95 or AK27 blade would be ~500g which is significantly heavier than what I am used to.
uh......an Ak27 shaft is 280 grams, AK blade is like 155

I have an AK with Montreal woodies and it is less then 500.

Were you looking at the AK OPS? thats like 475

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
uh......an Ak27 shaft is 280 grams, AK blade is like 155

I have an AK with Montreal woodies and it is less then 500.

Were you looking at the AK OPS? thats like 475
Hmm... you're right. Not sure what the hell I was looking at. I think I misread it to be 380.

Is the AK27 with AK27 or One95 blade going to be the most durable or is like the Easton ST?