HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do You Believe In Miracles?! YES!!!!!!!

Old
02-22-2010, 05:22 PM
darko

vCash: 500
That was an amazing game but it shouldnt be compared to 1980. Quite few people believed that US could win last night. That wasn't the case against Soviet Union.

If Germany beats Canada that could be considered right up there.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Took out the Rangers, Isles and I believe the Whalers as well.
Yeah, that was the Red Army team, they beat the Rangers, Islanders and Quebec and lost to Montreal and Buffalo...they were played in December '79 and early January '80. That was a really awesome team.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
That was an amazing game but it shouldnt be compared to 1980. Quite few people believed that US could win last night. That wasn't the case against Soviet Union.

There really is no modern hockey equivalent of that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I never said it was anything less than that. I never said what it meant it wasn't special for the country or anything.

I'm just stating the fact that the US winning the gold would mean US dominance over a sport that has long considered the US to be a second rate country. The US would have won every single meaningful international hockey competition in a single year (World Championships aside). Never in history has that occurred.

For US Hockey and US Hockey as a program in itself, that is monumental and beyond what anyone could have ever imagined.
Understood...but that 1980 team caused kids to WANT TO play hockey who had never thought about the sport...and everything going on in the world at that time just added to it's significance and magnitude it had on the US and USA Hockey.

Personally I think women's hockey has done more for USA Hockey over the last 12-15 years simply because the men's teams have been constructed of NHL players for the last 4 Olympics. Women's hockey has done a 180, and that's not just Team USA making contributions to the sport.

Hockey in America will ALWAYS be second-rate to football, baseball and even basketball...and some debate it's behind golf, auto racing and a couple of other sports.

I'm totally fine with how hockey's been as a sport. I never minded it being a tight-nit family of fans. That's what makes it more special to me.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:44 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post

I was super confident that the US would beat Canada last night, this team was constructed using outstandingly-selected parts. Everyone on this team has a role. In contrast, I'm not sure Team Canada was constructed with chemistry and roles as much as the US...There are players on that team that are superstars playing 8 minutes a game yet are almost as talented a scorer as a guy playing on the top two lines.

Germany beating Canada would be a HUGE upset, although at this point with Canada struggling against the Swiss and losing last night, I wouldn't be shocked.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I never said it was anything less than that. I never said what it meant it wasn't special for the country or anything.

I'm just stating the fact that the US winning the gold would mean US dominance over a sport that has long considered the US to be a second rate country. The US would have won every single meaningful international hockey competition in a single year (World Championships aside). Never in history has that occurred.

For US Hockey and US Hockey as a program in itself, that is monumental and beyond what anyone could have ever imagined.
Which still pales in comparison to the 1980 Olympic accomplishment.

I think the terms people are using are confusing here. When someone says "it'll be bigger for US hockey" what the person is expressing to others is that it -will have an impact on the future of- US hockey. Which it almost certainly will not, given the impact of the 1980 tournament, and that's why people are taking exception to what you are saying.

What I think you are trying to say is that winning the Olympic gold medal will -speak to the success of the US hockey program-, rather than having an impact on that.

This, I think, we can agree on - that this gold medal could signal a coming of age of sorts for hockey in the US. That the impact of great events such as the wonderful victory over the Soviet Union in 1980 is now being felt through the talented, hard-working American players maturing today.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
The 1980 U.S. team was comprised of college hockey players from around the U.S., many coming from rivalry school, who were constructed to compete int he Olympics...they faced a PROFESSIONAL Soviet Union team.

It's like the University of Minnesota taking on the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, etc. and beating them today.

It was indeed a MIRACLE.
I actually think you're understating things by quite a bit here. The Red Army team wasn't just professional, it was hand-picked from the best of the CCCP's member nations. It was basically a European+Russian all star team, which is reflected in how handily they defeated the NHL All-Stars.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
rangerjoe

That's correct...in fact the Soviets had several teams to choose from, including the Red Army team, Spartak, Dynamo and the Soviet Wings.

Thank the good Lord Bill Baker tied that game against Sweden.