HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking to make the transition from Roller to Ice...

Old
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Looking to make the transition from Roller to Ice...

I recently found an ice rink that is very close to me and would like to get started in Ice Hockey. I've never played ice before but spent many years playing roller hockey (indoor rinks).

As it stands, I have a helmet, gloves, sticks and shin guards. What else would I need? Skates, girdle, socks, chest protector. What am I missing? Also, any idea how much it would cost me to get up and running gear wise to start playing pick-up?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:05 PM
WVP

You're missing pants and elbow pads.

Skates (100-300 for entry level to intermediate)
Pants (50-100)
Shoulder pads (30-80)
Elbow pads (20-40)
Girdle (20-30)
Socks (10-20)

So around 250-600, depending on quality. You can probably go cheaper if you want to go cheap.

I'd recommend getting a good pair of skates and pants, the rest isn't as critical. IMO.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Webernaut

You could take care of all of your needs by going to Play It Again. It would cost you like $100 lol My first pair of skates switching over from roller were $20, Easton Ultra Lites from years ago. I loved them.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
You're missing pants and elbow pads.

Skates (100-300 for entry level to intermediate)
Pants (50-100)
Shoulder pads (30-80)
Elbow pads (20-40)
Girdle (20-30)
Socks (10-20)

So around 250-600, depending on quality. You can probably go cheaper if you want to go cheap.

I'd recommend getting a good pair of skates and pants, the rest isn't as critical. IMO.
I'm confused. Why would I need pants if I had socks and a girdle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
You could take care of all of your needs by going to Play It Again. It would cost you like $100 lol My first pair of skates switching over from roller were $20, Easton Ultra Lites from years ago. I loved them.

This is actually what I was looking at doing. The only problem is I am in San Diego so I don't know how well the used ice hockey gear market is here.

Old
02-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
(...)
See image

You do not need hockey pants if you have a girdle, but you will likely need a shell to put on top of the girdle. That being said I would make sure that your girdle is padded enough for ice hockey.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Not equipment related, but if you don't know how (ice and roller are totally different) maybe think of skating or power skating lessons. Most important, how to stop properly. Made the transition too and that is the biggest hurdle over anything to figure out first.

nullterm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:56 AM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post

This is actually what I was looking at doing. The only problem is I am in San Diego so I don't know how well the used ice hockey gear market is here.
Ice pants versus inline girdle are different. You could get a shell as suggest but I would just get a cheap pair of ice pants. You'll need a jock with velcro for your socks too. I am in Tampa, FL. You'll find something just like I did. Craigslist is another source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Not equipment related, but if you don't know how (ice and roller are totally different) maybe think of skating or power skating lessons. Most important, how to stop properly. Made the transition too and that is the biggest hurdle over anything to figure out first.
I made the transition to ice about a two years ago though I played when I was a little kid so that helped. Stopping is definitely a key to the transition but it also depends on the person. You can play inline well even without a solid stride in your skating. A lot of inline players almost run on skates versus skating. You can't get away with that on ice. Running on ice is double the work for half the speed lol.

Old
02-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Ice pants versus inline girdle are different. You could get a shell as suggest but I would just get a cheap pair of ice pants. You'll need a jock with velcro for your socks too. I am in Tampa, FL. You'll find something just like I did. Craigslist is another source.

I made the transition to ice about a two years ago though I played when I was a little kid so that helped. Stopping is definitely a key to the transition but it also depends on the person. You can play inline well even without a solid stride in your skating. A lot of inline players almost run on skates versus skating. You can't get away with that on ice. Running on ice is double the work for half the speed lol.

Skating is definitely the first thing I want to get down. In roller, it was my biggest asset so I hope to make a somewhat smooth transition there.

Old
02-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I play ice hockey only and I started wearing a roller hockey pant with a girdle under it a few years ago and found it to be the most comfy thing for ice hockey ever.

They are Mission pants and black with some silver highlighting, matches just about everything for a jersey.

Really one doesn't "have" to do anything more than what is comfy for them to play in.

I found a pic online of what my pant setup is like, the pants look the same as what I own and wear for ice hockey. Mine are not as baggy though. I must say it is very comfortable, I retired my CCM Supra hockey pants after trying these.

Of course I play recreationally now in either beer league or pickups, etc. Not sure how these would hold up in a checking league or more serious play. Maybe okay I think.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 02-23-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I play ice hockey only and I started wearing a roller hockey pant with a girdle under it a few years ago and found it to be the most comfy thing for ice hockey ever.

They are Mission pants and black with some silver highlighting, matches just about everything for a jersey.

Really one doesn't "have" to do anything more than what is comfy for them to play in.

I found a pic online of what my pant setup is like, the pants look the same as what I own and wear for ice hockey. Mine are not as baggy though. I must say it is very comfortable, I retired my CCM Supra hockey pants after trying these.

Of course I play recreationally now in either beer league or pickups, etc. Not sure how these would hold up in a checking league or more serious play. Maybe okay I think.

See this thread.

I don't suggest playing ice in inline gear. Not only is an inline girdle (usually) less protective but you will stand out like a white man at the Apollo.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
I would definitely go to Play It Again Sports. I got brand new CCM hockey pants for $60, but that was one of the more expensive things I got. Elbow pads were $10 (used but in great condition), $25 for new shin guards, $25 for new chest/shoulder pads... they had some really great prices. My skates were $109.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
See this thread.

I don't suggest playing ice in inline gear. Not only is an inline girdle (usually) less protective but you will stand out like a white man at the Apollo.
Umm I just wear the pants from inline, nowhere do I say I use an inline girdle. Nobody cares really what other people wear usually.

I'm not sure why one would get chirped in a beer league because they wore a roller pant .... unless they were just being an ******* for no good reason.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 02-23-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old
02-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Webernaut

Quote:
Umm I just wear the pants from inline, nowhere do I say I use an inline girdle. Nobody cares really what other people wear usually.

I'm not sure why one would get chirped in a beer league because they wore a roller pant .... unless they were just being an ******* for no good reason.
Must be me then... I always chirp for that. "Your skates are missing the wheels! Go back to inline, you (expletive)!" hahaha

Old
02-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Must be me then... I always chirp for that. "Your skates are missing the wheels! Go back to inline, you (expletive)!" hahaha
Its not just you. Wearing inline pants while playing ice is a brutal setup.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I've never heard a peep, must be because I can play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Its not just you. Wearing inline pants while playing ice is a brutal setup.
I'd wear pajama pants if they were comfy and good for hockey. I'm not in a fashion show, I'm playing hockey.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:

I'd wear pajama pants if they were comfy and good for hockey. I'm not in a fashion show, I'm playing hockey.
I've heard that the tights figure skaters wear are really breathable and mobile, maybe you should look into those to play hockey in.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
I've heard that the tights figure skaters wear are really breathable and mobile, maybe you should look into those to play hockey in.
Har har hardee har ... uh har. Only if you chew the little cotton football out of the crotch for me.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:56 AM
canuck44

What is this "girdle" you guys are talking about?

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:07 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Just go to hockeymonkey or hockeygiant. They have a separate section for each in their inventory list so u can see the diff.

A RH girdle is similar to ice hockey pants. RH pants go all the way down to the skates whereas ice "pants" (more like shorts) hit just above the knees.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:12 AM
canuck44

What in the world? I've never seen those before. I assume you're supposed to put the shell on top of those. I thought you just put the shell on top of regular pants if you need to for team colors.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Hockey girdles are worn under a pant shell which is to say that the pads are not a part of the pant.

(I had some French typed here but the board censored it wtf lol) ...

And you wear a shell over it OR A ROLLER HOCKEY PANT (HEHE)

Old
02-25-2010, 01:21 AM
canuck44

So they're really for inline than ice right? That would explain why I'm sitting here going

Old
02-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
So they're really for inline than ice right? That would explain why I'm sitting here going
No .... they are for ice hockey. I wear an ice hockey girdle with a roller hockey pant over them because it doesn't matter at all ..... in any shape way or form other than for some goon who thinks it is chirp worthy when it isn't.

I posted a Pro hockey girdle above for ICE.

Old
02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Webernaut

Girdle = raw padding nothing else
Ice Hockey Pants = pads sewn in to shorts
Roller Hockey Pants = just a pair of pants with no padding
Shell = similar to roller hockey pants but shorts and made for ice

I wear a pro stock girdle (Jofa, spanex tight fitting) with a shell over the top for ice hockey. I wear the same girdle for roller hockey but with roller hockey pants instead.

Get it?

Old
02-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I guess when I used the term girdle, I was really referring to ice hockey pants. Definitely got confused there for a second.

What's the deal with tblades? what are they? pros/cons?