HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

RUS v. CZE, USA v. CAN, SWE v. FIN

Old
02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
thanks for the backup...

if Finland beats Sweden in regulation, AND the Swedes score less than 4 goals, then CZE is #4 and SWE #5. and if FIN wins in regulation FIN is #1 and USA #2.

So the potential semifinals would be USA vs FIN/CZE if USA is #1 and if we are #2 then it would be USA vs CAN/RUS/SWE...

so lets all root on Hornqvist tonight along with ex Pred Forsberg and even all those frigging Dead Wings.... (tough S**t Kimmo...)

if there was a way to do it easily, I betcha Sweden would almost rather be the #4 than #2... (and thus draw USA/FIN/CZE in the semis rather than CAN or RUS)but they risk falling to #5 and having to play an extra game if they lose in regulation

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
You know this for a fact? I have a hard time thinking a 20 year old in a country with some "questionable practices" did all this on his own. I have no proof of this but you have no proof of what happened behind closed doors either. Eventually the truth might come out on what really happened but when Poile made a comment that said something to the effect of, I talked to Rads, he'd like to come back but can't right now, something tells me this goes deeper than a 20 year old making a dumb mistake.

I just think it's funny that we're ready to throw him under the bus without knowing all the facts except the ones presented to us. If all the facts are out there, I'd say let's lynch him if he comes back but I think there's more to this story than any of us know about. I also think it's funny that we'll crucify a kid for a bad decision yet others have been forgiven for their transgressions.
let me dangle that kind of cash in front of you and see what happens ... not that it matters now that he's under contract in the KHL and the poaching rule went into effect after he ran home to collect some rubles ... maybe summer 2011 he comes back ... maybe not ... I won't be holding my breath.

I'm less likely to believe the conspiracy theories without evidence than the more plausible explanation of simple greed. remember this is a guy who fell from a top pick to us at #15 for "attitude" issues.

I was hoping to see him plastered into the glass today. The foot didn't seem too hurt ... was funny seeing that he is still taking dumb penalties and hurting his own teammates in important competitions ... same old impetuous alexandra radulova.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
let me dangle that kind of cash in front of you and see what happens ... not that it matters now that he's under contract in the KHL and the poaching rule went into effect after he ran home to collect some rubles ... maybe summer 2011 he comes back ... maybe not ... I won't be holding my breath.

I'm less likely to believe the conspiracy theories without evidence than the more plausible explanation of simple greed. remember this is a guy who fell from a top pick to us at #15 for "attitude" issues.

I was hoping to see him plastered into the glass today. The foot didn't seem too hurt ... was funny seeing that he is still taking dumb penalties and hurting his own teammates in important competitions ... same old impetuous alexandra radulova.
Who wouldn't take the cash? If you had a contract but someone dangled you that type of cash at 20 what would you have done? I know I have ethics and morals but that is a lot of money and while it may not have been the best choice I could make, how could I not take it and be set up for life basically? $13 million. Say you pay half to taxes, that's $6.5 million left. Throw it in a bank in a simple money market account at 5%, you'd be earning $325,000 a year for life without ever touching the principle. Granted, I just used my brain and the wisdom of a 40 year old to figure that out but still, would you and/or could you turn down that type of deal at that early of an age?

I don't agree with what he did but there was no precedent for this type of thing and the new league I think was looking for someone to test the boundaries. Unfortunately, it happened with one of our players.

Is he the brightest guy or sharpest tac in the box, nope. Can he put the puck in the net, yup. With the good, there is the bad too. I have no idea what happens with him but he's a kid. If you're a parent, do you punish your kid for making mistakes or do you end up grounding them for life? There's got to be some leeway here. By the time he comes back, Arnott will be long gone and he's the only that's ever been damaged by him. If we go by damaging players, we should get rid of Weber since he's taken out Marty, Leggy and Toots in the last year. Sarcasm off.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:27 AM
braindead

Great. Pitkanen with the ugly elbow to the head of Hornqvist-- he looks like he has a concussion. To add insult to injury, it may cost the US the #1 seed as Swedes go on the 5 minute power play up by 3-0.

$&^%*$#^#@**

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Great. Pitkanen with the ugly elbow to the head of Hornqvist-- he looks like he has a concussion. To add insult to injury, it may cost the US the #1 seed as Swedes go on the 5 minute power play up by 3-0.

$&^%*$#^#@**
Exactly...a double @*!#^@*($&#!!! As an American and as a Predator fan...I'm livid right now.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:09 AM
braindead

At least it now is looking good for the US, with a couple of minutes left and the game still at 3-0.

Old
02-22-2010, 01:12 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Looks like #1 seed!!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:02 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Woe Canada

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The draw looks good for us getting into medal contention.

Canada with a rough road in.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok, after watching the USA Canada game and listening to DOc Emerick. I have come to the conclusion only Suter and Rafalski were on the ice for the USA. How many minutes did Suter play? Seriously, I watched the game and by the middle of the second period I was asking myself, "Did Suter come off the ice yet?"

Oh, when the hell did Brian Rafalski become an offensive defenseman?

I think USA's MVP played in Canada net. Martin Brodeur was flopping around like a fish out there. He scared Tomas Vokoun with how much he left the net. It didn't help that team USA came out like the uniforms said "CCCP" not "Canada". I have never, NEVER, seen a team work that hard. Canada came to the game. The USA came for war.

Everyone was saying that team Canada was the bigger team. I'd say yes, but they also were the slower team. Pure and simple, speed killed the red Maple leaves.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:39 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

That may be the best game I've ever seen Ryan Suter play. I don't think he made a mistake the entire night. Every time I watch him play, it seems like he distances himself more and more as our number one rearguard...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok, after watching the USA Canada game and listening to DOc Emerick. I have come to the conclusion only Suter and Rafalski were on the ice for the USA. How many minutes did Suter play? Seriously, I watched the game and by the middle of the second period I was asking myself, "Did Suter come off the ice yet?"
He and Rafalski played just under 22 minutes this game. Suter was on the ice for ALL of our goals for and one goal against to finish a +3. I'm still high off of that one. The Tennessean makes me very happy too.

Edit: We're also seeing that edge that we all kept hearing about how he was capable of playing with. It pops up in spurts here in Nashville but all 3 games the US has played, Suter's just been down right nasty out there. Clearing the crease, taking the body if it's the only option, checking like crazy, hell, he even grabbed some guy by his face last night. Weber may be known for the hits but by God, Suter can make em' too.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That may be the best game I've ever seen Ryan Suter play. I don't think he made a mistake the entire night. Every time I watch him play, it seems like he distances himself more and more as our number one rearguard...
I've been thinking this all season. Does Suter, not Weber, deserve the "C" when Arnott is gone??

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

When Suter/Rafalski are on the ice, you are comfortable. The Gleason/Johnson pairing is decent. The Orpik/JJohnson duo was getting OWNED all night long.

Suter......He is just head and shoulders better than the others on that team. Rafalski is killing it offensively, but Suter has been the lock on that pairing. Honestly, he looked like the best defenseman on the ice by a huge margin. I will say, Doughty played an exceptional game (after a God-awful performance against the Swiss). I felt Weber was under-utilized.

Canada's D looks bad IMO. Pronger/Niedermayer/Seabrook - they just aren't that good right now. Doughty is hit or miss. Kieth and Weber have both been very consistent.

02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I have to agree that Suter has really been a rock for that D core. Maybe not as noticed by the casual fan, but the knowledgeable observers see he is really playing lights-out.

BTW, what is with NBC showing this game of the decade in standard definition? They are showing curling on CNBC in HD, but this game does not merit HD??? It has been hyped for weeks now, WTF???

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I've been thinking this all season. Does Suter, not Weber, deserve the "C" when Arnott is gone??
Weber is the rarer and more valuable defenseman, but has never been known to be a leader or too vocal. Suter is the better speaker and leader, even though he doesn't have the skill set of Weber. I don't think Weber was ever in contention for the "C"

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
BTW, what is with NBC showing this game of the decade in standard definition? They are showing curling on CNBC in HD, but this game does not merit HD??? It has been hyped for weeks now, WTF???
I was able to watch in HD in Northern Virginia. Cox had it on their HD tier.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I was able to watch in HD in Northern Virginia. Cox had it on their HD tier.
Comcast in Nashville doesn't have HD for msnbc. I heard that they showed a bit of the end of the game on nbc but I wasn't switching around. Agree that it's crazy not to give it a bigger stage.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Everyone was saying that team Canada was the bigger team. I'd say yes, but they also were the slower team. Pure and simple, speed killed the red Maple leaves.
Agreed, I was honestly surprised that the hustle and speed from our boys lasted the entire game. Now they have one less game to play and can rest up to out-hustle and outwork the next opponent.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Agreed, I was honestly surprised that the hustle and speed from our boys lasted the entire game. Now they have one less game to play and can rest up to out-hustle and outwork the next opponent.
I've always found that nothing motivates a team to work harder than when giving them an extra day of rest is at stake!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The analysis of Weber as not being a leader appear to be false if you check out some of the interviews with Poile/Trotz about his work ethic, etc. Weber, apparently, works harder than just about everyone, if not everyone, on the team.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
glenngineer

I think it's become apparent that both Weber and Suter are the future of this team. Both need to be signed long term. It's that simple. There is no other young pairing of defenders in the NHL that are equal to this pairing, bar none. The funny thing is, Suter flies so far under the radar but may be becoming one of the best in the league. It's a shame he isn't flashy or have a big shot but he is one of the smartest and positionally sound players I have seen in a long time. The more experience he gets, the better he becomes. It's been amazing to watch his transformation from a good hockey player to an elite defender.

Old
02-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think it's become apparent that both Weber and Suter are the future of this team. Both need to be signed long term. It's that simple. There is no other young pairing of defenders in the NHL that are equal to this pairing, bar none. The funny thing is, Suter flies so far under the radar but may be becoming one of the best in the league. It's a shame he isn't flashy or have a big shot but he is one of the smartest and positionally sound players I have seen in a long time. The more experience he gets, the better he becomes. It's been amazing to watch his transformation from a good hockey player to an elite defender.
Duncan Keith & Brent Seabrook ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:36 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
Duncan Keith & Brent Seabrook ?
Not even close. Seabrook isn't close to being an elite defenseman. Keith is a great player no doubt but Suter and Weber are at the same level as Keith, if not better and Seabrook is a notch or two below all three of these guys. Seabrook has looked awful for Canada while Suter has been one of the best players on the ice in the games, period.

Can someone start a poll about who is the better pair? I'm too new to do so.

Old
02-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Yeah - Blackhawks fans have poured the rhetoric out there that Duncan Kieth is the Norris trophy winner and that the Kieth-Seabrook pairing has been the best pairing over the past two years in all of hockey. This simply isn't the case, but your going to have a hard time shouting them down.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote