HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Only the biggest game for Canadian fans so far - Canada vs USA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2010, 06:48 AM
  #276
Eternity Is Now
Registered User
 
Eternity Is Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ålesund, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
is this where we say we wish we had St. Louis, Lecavalier, Stamkos, B. Richards...ect???

Eternity Is Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:57 AM
  #277
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I disagree with the Shark line. In a short tournament like this, with very little prep time, having guys who know each other is invaluable. Those guys know how to score. I hope they are kept together and are given plenty of ice time.
Which would be great if they two of the three weren't floaters who play on the outside.

On a team like this, Dany Heatley is a PP specialist, because he's pretty brutal when he gets a regular shift.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:07 AM
  #278
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
Comments in red
Maybe Luongo "wins this game" but in the long run, in a big spot, he won't get it done, because he doesn't. This is track record and I don't see it changing.

Sharks line is brutal 5 on 5. Marleau is the only one of the 3 who will/can force turn overs and it's brutal to watch them float around the outside. This is where picking guys like Thornton doesn't work. He, over a season, will put a good deal of points, but in a short span, he's just can't bring his game up to the next level, see the playoffs.

They don't have the pulse of the team, because any coach worth his salt would have benched Neidermayer in the 3rd, and would have understood that the Sharks line wasn't doing **** 5 on 5 as the game tightened up. Crosby needs to be out as much as possible, because he was clearly Canada's more dynamic forward. Frankly the moment that told me this coaching staff had a very poor read on the team was after the US got that empty net goal, and you saw who was still on the ice.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:25 AM
  #279
Antidote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
From BertMarshalldays on the Isles board.

The new Canadian national anthem -

No, Canada
Bow down to Uncle Sam
We'll take the gold
You laid down like a lamb
With frying pans you tended goal
We scored on you at will
From far and wide, Oh Canada
We're scoring on you still.
God keep your nets
Wide open and emp-ty
O Canada
We scored five goals on thee
O Canada
U.S. with gold you'll see!


Last edited by Antidote: 02-22-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 08:01 AM
  #280
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,755
vCash: 500
Man some Americans are getting really cocky over one win in a non-elimination game. Hopefully they can meet again and this time our goalie doesn't let in 3 stinkers.
Posted via Mobile Device


Last edited by Eytinge: 02-22-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
  #281
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
Its OK, Im pretty sure we will have the last laugh

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:06 AM
  #282
eastcoasteh
Registered User
 
eastcoasteh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity Is Now View Post
is this where we say we wish we had St. Louis, Lecavalier, Stamkos, B. Richards...ect???
Smyyty

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
  #283
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
Smyyty
NO NOT AT ALL

Though Bouwmeester and Mitchell would make the defense look alot better.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:11 AM
  #284
mactforcoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Drayton Valley Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
No it's not over yet, but team Canada won the first game, tied the second, and lost the third. Not a good pattern going forward. Pronger does not belong out there, same for Thorton. How can players with so much skill, be so lacking in effort? Iginla also seems to be showing his age. Heatley seems to love the perimeter, and won't get his nose dirty. Might as well have taken Penner in his place.

This team is missing a Ryan Smyth type, someone to get in front and make it tough on the goalie. Too many elite players, not enough workhorses. Lets hope they turn it around, because if we don't win it all, we will never live it down.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
  #285
Antidote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
This team is missing a Ryan Smyth type, someone to get in front and make it tough on the goalie. Too many elite players, not enough workhorses. Lets hope they turn it around, because if we don't win it all, we will never live it down.
Russia has the same problem - they finally put Ovechkin in front of the net.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
  #286
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 11,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
No it's not over yet, but team Canada won the first game, tied the second, and lost the third. Not a good pattern going forward. Pronger does not belong out there, same for Thorton. How can players with so much skill, be so lacking in effort? Iginla also seems to be showing his age. Heatley seems to love the perimeter, and won't get his nose dirty. Might as well have taken Penner in his place.

This team is missing a Ryan Smyth type, someone to get in front and make it tough on the goalie. Too many elite players, not enough workhorses. Lets hope they turn it around, because if we don't win it all, we will never live it down.
I still don't get Morrow over Smyth, And I think Morrow is awesome, simple reason they need a guy to stand in front of the nt on the PP. Doughty and Keith can get blasts off all day long, but who is screening. Crosby, thorton, getz can all do the parimter stuff fine. Even penner, he woudl be a giant in front.

I know penner has slumped lately, but I still see him being awesome out there for Canada.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
  #287
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
And it strikes me as hilarious that left leaning institutions like the IOC/VANOC don't see the inconsistency in holding an international event full of lots of talk about love and harmony while doing everything in their power to make sure that millions of people on the poor side of the planet don't have access to a decent broadcast of the fun . Even if they're willing to pay for it .
What the hell?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:44 AM
  #288
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,047
vCash: 500
Wait... who are Leafs fans going to complain about if the US wins a medal?

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:56 AM
  #289
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor
 
scoob4093's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield Ma.
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Canada still the favorite to win the Gold.


http://www.pinnaclesports.com/Contes...Men/Lines.aspx

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
  #290
Trollmark*
 
Trollmark*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
the best moment of the game and basically described the whole game for us


Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
  #291
North
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
I have no problem with the goalies we chose. I think Luongo will be fine. Obviously, Brodeur had a terrible game.

Niedermayer and Pronger-Why are these two on this team? Veteran presence? Niedermayer has been playing badly this year and Pronger has lost a step (and it's obvious). Watching Niedermayer makes me wish Bouwmeester was on the team.

Rick Nash-For a big guy he plays so small. He was so weak on the boards that I was disgusted. I wish they had chosen Martin St. Louis. The guy is small but he is all heart.

Patrice Bergeron-We needed a face-off specialist? Because that's all he's been good for. He's the reason Stamkos is not on this team?

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:59 AM
  #292
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
I have no problem with the goalies we chose. I think Luongo will be fine. Obviously, Brodeur had a terrible game.

Niedermayer and Pronger-Why are these two on this team? Veteran presence? Niedermayer has been playing badly this year and Pronger has lost a step (and it's obvious). Watching Niedermayer makes me wish Bouwmeester was on the team.

Rick Nash-For a big guy he plays so small. He was so weak on the boards that I was disgusted. I wish they had chosen Martin St. Louis. The guy is small but he is all heart.

Patrice Bergeron-We needed a face-off specialist? Because that's all he's been good for. He's the reason Stamkos is not on this team?
I'm with you, they should have brought all 3 from TB, Vinny, Stamkos and St. Louis and left Perry, Thornton and Bergeron off this team.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.