HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Ott might be available

Old
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
MadHookUp

vCash: 500
Steve Ott might be available

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/dal100222.html

Quote:
The Stars have been negotiating a contract extension with gritty forward Steve Ott, but if a deal isn't in place by next week, the team could trade him, reports the Dallas Morning News.
I see that his price tag might be around 3 million. As long as it didnt have any impact on signing Kovy, I would love to have him on the Rangers. A Gritty forward that can drop the gloves, play multiple positions and lines.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't see how he fills a need on a team that doesn't score.

02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
MadHookUp

Toughness and Character? Something this team seriously lacks. He also has the ability to score. He has seen time on the top 2 lines in Dallas and has performed well when in that spot.

Old
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Toughness and Character? Something this team seriously lacks. He also has the ability to score. He has seen time on the top 2 lines in Dallas and has performed well when in that spot.
Toughness and character? Didn't they just make two moves for guys with toughness and character?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
He's borderline sociapath.A slightly less dangerous patrice cormie(sp) At least with avery he knows the borderline between pest and serious injury,Ott does not. Pass.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Toughness and character will take care of themselves if this team could score goals and win hockey games on a consistent basis.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Toughness and character? Didn't they just make two moves for guys with toughness and character?
God, couldn't agree more. This guy is the LAST thing this team needs! How many fricken 3rd and 4th line grinders do people think we should have? We need someone who can put the PUCK IN THE NET!

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

shelley, prust, avery, voros, think we're covered in that department

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Not interested personally.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

A major pass.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We already have a PIM machine in Avery.

This teams needs to build scoring as I have shown. Toughness is much cheaper and easier to find.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Pass. I read somewhere the guy was seeking 3 millions next summer. He has scored more than 11 goals and 30 points once in his career. No thanks. We are stockpiled right now in the toughness/character department. Plus with Avery here next season, Ott would only become redundant.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
nyr2417

For 2 mill. i'd take him hes a gritty forward that can score 20 goals. I say this because I don't think Shelley will be back next season. It would be a great depth signing

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
For 2 mill. i'd take him hes a gritty forward that can score 20 goals. I say this because I don't think Shelley will be back next season. It would be a great depth signing
I was thinking along the same lines. The guy is a former 1st Round Pick. Not that means a whole lot, but the guy does have offensive ability.

Old
02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
That's what people kept saying about Avery when we brought him back, me first. And we're still waiting for it to happen once... When they'll score 20 goals in a season once, I'll consider them potential 20 goals scorers.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
That's what people kept saying about Avery when we brought him back, me first. And we're still waiting for it to happen once... When they'll score 20 goals in a season once, I'll consider them potential 20 goals scorers.
Play avery more than 12 minutes a night (not to mention games when hes been on the 4th line) and put him in front on the pp and hes a 20 goal scorer.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I like Ott, but who would he replace? Voros is cheaper and more of a heavyweight, but doesn't bring the offense Ott does. So a swap based on them would work from a talent standpoint (for us) but doesn't help our cap situation. Unless they want Prust+Voros, there's no reason to add Ott.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'd rather have Mel Ott.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Play avery more than 12 minutes a night (not to mention games when hes been on the 4th line) and put him in front on the pp and hes a 20 goal scorer.
No he isnt. In other seasons he has been given more than ample opportunities and hasnt hit it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
To be fair, Avery probably has one of the highest hockey IQs on this team. Given that's not saying much with the group of players that we have, but some of the passes Avery can make are mind-blowing.

That being said you're completely right in your assessment that he's never scored 20, but has he ever really been given a consistent chance to do that? Averaging 13:18 TOI/game, no power play time.

Now I'm not advocating that Avery should be getting top line minutes and top unit power play time, but the hockey sense is there there's no denying that IMO.

Couple that with the fact that he's not afraid to get to the dirty areas of the ice and he could definitely come away with a 20/20 season with the right linemates. Not Boyle and Voros.

EDIT: To stay on topic, there's no need for Ott here.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:42 PM
ogie

how about we save the money and sign some tough Defensemen?

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
pwoz

We already have Avery. Save that $3m for Staal's extension or Kovalchuk (if Slats dumps salary).

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
To be fair, Avery probably has one of the highest hockey IQs on this team..
Ive seen this said about Avery multiple times and it just fascinates me. In his years here, Ive really seen nothing to suggest that he possesses anything over an average hockey IQ.

And Im just talking about the basics of the game...when it comes to recognizing a moment and acting accordingly, he may in fact be one of the dumber players in the league. What he did in the last 10 minutes of game 4 against Washington last year was honestly one of the dumbest displays I've ever seen in my life. His career is littered with instances of making poor decisions at the wrong times. That, and Im pretty sure he still doesnt completely grasp the offsides rule in hockey.

Sean Avery is a 3rd line agitator. The sooner the fans (and he himself to a degree) realize this, the better off we'll all be. Specifically, we wont have to be subjected to posts about the wonders of Sean Avery's hockey IQ.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:10 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

See, I'm not particularly in favor of getting Ott, however, are people really comparing him to Voros, Prust, Shelley?

Give me a break. Voros, Prust and Shelley would be lucky to produce 10 points of offense combined in a season.

Steve Ott has more agitating prowess than all three and offense that succumbs past all of their combined offensive ability.

I'd say Steve Ott, right now, is a rich man's Sean Avery, and wouldn't be opposed to acquiring him if it meant the right deal going back.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
mti79

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Ott one of the major detractors of Avery in Dallas? If we want to keep Sean on this team, there is no need to bring in Ott in a move that may divide the locker room.... Also, I do not feel we have any need for Steve Ott. We need a guy who can consistently put the puck in the net, not a guy who can potentially put the puck in the net.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote