HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tinted Visor

Old
02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
gintonic

vCash: 500
I would think that any reasonable person would have a REAL purpose for wearing something like that, not just trying to copy other players. For instance, if the rink you play at is very bright and you have a light sensitivity issue than by all means you should look at getting something like that, but if you don't have a legitimate purpose it seems rather ridiculous to even consider it.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Lol where in Peel have you seen this? I've only ever seen it in minor girls hockey. I've always played in the MHL (Mississauga Hockey League) and I've never seen anyone with a nickname. I've never been given the option either.
Random beer leagues, shinny etc etc. Vic Arena, Memorial Gardens, Cawthra and Mississauga Valley are the rinks in Peel i go to/see it the most.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:53 AM
CanadaBacon

I dont think it really matters if you have skills or not, if its chirpable, you should get beaked either way.

Old
02-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Random beer leagues, shinny etc etc. Vic Arena, Memorial Gardens, Cawthra and Mississauga Valley are the rinks in Peel i go to/see it the most.
I guess seeing it in rec leagues/beer leagues and in shinny makes sense. I thought you meant in actual organized league play like in the MHL or GTHL.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I guess seeing it in rec leagues/beer leagues and in shinny makes sense. I thought you meant in actual organized league play like in the MHL or GTHL.
no, i havnt played midget in 12ish years now

Old
02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Where you are from, they dont understand the point of a chirp.

Everyone on the ice is open to get beaked no matter what gear/skill etc they have. Tinted visors, golds laces, using xtra long laces to tie your pants, ov/crosby sweaters, # such as 99 and even guys using top end sticks just give guys extra "ammo" to beak you.

Its pretty simple, if you can handle the chirps wear whatever you want. If you cant handle getting beaked dont get gear that is "flashy"
Where I'm from is a league with multiple NHL draftees and a team with two Stanley Cup winners on it. They know and understand plenty. That's like saying where your from they don't understand NHL hockey because they don't have a team.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
Where I'm from is a league with multiple NHL draftees and a team with two Stanley Cup winners on it. They know and understand plenty. That's like saying where your from they don't understand NHL hockey because they don't have a team.
That is totally the same.

What league?

Old
02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
That is totally the same.

What league?
lol I'm just saying the parallel is remarkable. See gear -> jump to conclusions. See location -> jump to conclusions. You just never know who the other guy is, I asked a dude about his ancient USSR bucket one time and he answered me... in Russian.

Not really comfortable giving out my info, nothing personal. I play at the Lightning's practice facility. Relatively small league compared to the other levels, lots of familiarity between the guys.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
lol I'm just saying the parallel is remarkable. See gear -> jump to conclusions. See location -> jump to conclusions. You just never know who the other guy is, I asked a dude about his ancient USSR bucket one time and he answered me... in Russian.

Not really comfortable giving out my info, nothing personal. I play at the Lightning's practice facility. Relatively small league compared to the other levels, lots of familiarity between the guys.
My comment had nothing to do with your location. Chirping is universal

No worries, not looking for your info

Old
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
ledzeppelinfan1

*Hides tinted visor in closet*

Seriously, I just bought one of these and played with it for about 5 minutes and found myself unscrewing it before the opening face off.

Too dark...and I felt...sorta ghey.

ledzeppelinfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelinfan1 View Post
*Hides tinted visor in closet*

Seriously, I just bought one of these and played with it for about 5 minutes and found myself unscrewing it before the opening face off.

Too dark...and I felt...sorta ghey.
I say screw it, wear what you want to ... I do. I don't get chirped for anything and never have really. I think a lot of what gets someone chirped is whether or not they are good or not.

Seriously, how many times does someone get chirped who just scored 3 goals against you?

It comes across as "Oh yeah .... oh yeah .... well your visor looks funny (there that'll teach him!)".

Hmmmm maybe I should go buy some $600 skates for beer league so I can be envied lmao.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:45 PM
ledzeppelinfan1

I guess I'm lucky...

Where I play (Arkansas), people are more players of the game rather than followers of the sport and therefore do not understand a lot of the stigmas that surround the game, especially pertaining to flashiness and the like...

For instance, I just bought tons of new equipment that looks pimp...I got no razzing despite the fact that I was a 1st time player at thier 'drop in'...

but I have skills...so maybe thats it.

But really...their more raw to the game down here...they love hockey for what it is and play it surprisingly well. I had more people curious about my gear than looking at me as though I were trying to be Ovechkin...

because honestly, most of them have no idea who he is...and those that do, certainly don't know as much about him as we do...

we who eat, drink, and sleep this game. God...even in the summer...all I think about is hockey. I get into baseball mildly, but thats just habit from youth. lol

ledzeppelinfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:09 AM
stick9

Ok, visor came in today. As far as the tint goes, there is hardly any at all. I'll bolt it on tomorrow and give it a whirl on Sunday.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
puck832

Hey, you shouldn't judge someone by their equipment.

That said. I have a pretty serious glare issue. Driving at night becomes very difficult and the ice can hurt my eyes.

An example of the difficulty being if there is snow on the ground I can barely see without sunglasses. I find that yellow glasses help regulate the light. Gray glasses relax my eyes.

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable so what color/tint could help with this? Currently I just wear a clear shield.

thx.

puck832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:00 AM
stick9

Status report:

Broke out the tinted visor last night for the first time and not one comment...not that I thought there would be.

As for it's functionality. It did help a little with washed out look the rink has (lots of cheap-o florescent lights). I was able to see the puck better when play was far away from me, it wasn't like wearing my glasses but it did help. Probably be better if the tint was grey, not brown. Pretty sure the Bauer and Oakley versions are a grey tint.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote