HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice for a total newbie?

Old
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Is this place close to you? Phone them

http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?hl=...97370982671319
Hah, yeah that's super close to me! I think they have moved though, but they moved into the rink I am going to skate at tomorrow, so talk about super convenient. I will definitely look at their sticks, but from my memory the stuff there is pretty expensive. We have two Play It Again Sports stores real near me so they are great options (that's where I got all my gear). However do you guys recommend any on this site? They are only $15 and I am already getting other stuff so the shipping would essentially be free.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/stick---s...ey-sticks.html

(Btw... I think I will need a junior stick. That's what my regular stick is, a junior with an extension that's about 2-3 inches).

EDIT: I want to go as cheap as possible since it's just for practice in the backyard.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
HawksFanInBoston

Figured this was a good place to post this -- OP, I have no experience at all so I can't help you there.

I'm a 22-year-old girl who never, ever played any form of hockey except the occasional roller hockey when I was a kid. I figure skated for a couple of years when I was very young (think 6 or 7 yrs) and while I was pretty good back then, I just recently started skating again for the first time. It's been coming back to me pretty quickly, except for back crossovers -- for some reason I just can't get them to work! Any advice/tips on how to pick this up?

HawksFanInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanInBoston View Post
Figured this was a good place to post this -- OP, I have no experience at all so I can't help you there.

I'm a 22-year-old girl who never, ever played any form of hockey except the occasional roller hockey when I was a kid. I figure skated for a couple of years when I was very young (think 6 or 7 yrs) and while I was pretty good back then, I just recently started skating again for the first time. It's been coming back to me pretty quickly, except for back crossovers -- for some reason I just can't get them to work! Any advice/tips on how to pick this up?
Keep your head up and practice.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 03:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Keep your head up and practice.
On that note, any tips for handling the puck/ball without looking at it?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Is it okay to use my stick on the concrete? I have a tennis ball I can use in the backyard but I'm so protective of my new stick that I don't really want to ruin it on the concrete.
I've got a plastic blade for playing street hockey or just screwing around on concrete. It's a one piece stick, not one of those were you just screw a plastic blade onto a shaft. I prefer plastic on cement because it obviously dosn't splinter the way wood does and it slides across cement alot easier than a wood blade.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Get a Smarthockey ball and stickhandle in your garage/driveway/basement/etc with your head up. Go back and forth working on "quiet" hands (shouldn't be a smack every time you touch it), then you can move it around, side to side, front and back, figure 8's, around objects, and keep your head up.

If you're shooting off concrete, pick up some lexan, either from a shooting board, or at the hardware store, or even a rink that might have old boards sitting around. Saves the stick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Get a Smarthockey ball and stickhandle in your garage/driveway/basement/etc with your head up. Go back and forth working on "quiet" hands (shouldn't be a smack every time you touch it), then you can move it around, side to side, front and back, figure 8's, around objects, and keep your head up.

If you're shooting off concrete, pick up some lexan, either from a shooting board, or at the hardware store, or even a rink that might have old boards sitting around. Saves the stick.
Thanks, that helps a bunch.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Devil Dancer

If you're practicing off-ice, wear roller blades. The feel isn't exactly the same, but as a beginner it's similar enough that you will benefit from wearing the skates as you do the stick handling/shooting drills/practice.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Whenever you start working on you're crossover's, remember to work on the weak side more than the strong side. God it's silly that i crossover like a pro to the right. To the left it just feel's unnatural. Same goes for backward's. I crossover perfectly to the right hand side and almost uncapable of crossovering to the left.
What does crossover mean? I know this sounds stupid but I'm not that much into hockeyterm in English. Could you please also post the Finnish word for crossover.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
What does crossover mean? I know this sounds stupid but I'm not that much into hockeyterm in English. Could you please also post the Finnish word for crossover.
Would it help if I explained it?
When turning, instead of just angling your feet in the direction you want to turn, you pick up one foot and put it over the other one, i.e. "crossing over" the other foot.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Would it help if I explained it?
When turning, instead of just angling your feet in the direction you want to turn, you pick up one foot and put it over the other one, i.e. "crossing over" the other foot.
Ok, I got it. Thanks.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote