HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice for a total newbie?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
  #26
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Is this place close to you? Phone them

http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?hl=...97370982671319
Hah, yeah that's super close to me! I think they have moved though, but they moved into the rink I am going to skate at tomorrow, so talk about super convenient. I will definitely look at their sticks, but from my memory the stuff there is pretty expensive. We have two Play It Again Sports stores real near me so they are great options (that's where I got all my gear). However do you guys recommend any on this site? They are only $15 and I am already getting other stuff so the shipping would essentially be free.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/stick---s...ey-sticks.html

(Btw... I think I will need a junior stick. That's what my regular stick is, a junior with an extension that's about 2-3 inches).

EDIT: I want to go as cheap as possible since it's just for practice in the backyard.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
  #27
HawksFanInBoston
 
HawksFanInBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Figured this was a good place to post this -- OP, I have no experience at all so I can't help you there.

I'm a 22-year-old girl who never, ever played any form of hockey except the occasional roller hockey when I was a kid. I figure skated for a couple of years when I was very young (think 6 or 7 yrs) and while I was pretty good back then, I just recently started skating again for the first time. It's been coming back to me pretty quickly, except for back crossovers -- for some reason I just can't get them to work! Any advice/tips on how to pick this up?

HawksFanInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
  #28
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanInBoston View Post
Figured this was a good place to post this -- OP, I have no experience at all so I can't help you there.

I'm a 22-year-old girl who never, ever played any form of hockey except the occasional roller hockey when I was a kid. I figure skated for a couple of years when I was very young (think 6 or 7 yrs) and while I was pretty good back then, I just recently started skating again for the first time. It's been coming back to me pretty quickly, except for back crossovers -- for some reason I just can't get them to work! Any advice/tips on how to pick this up?
Keep your head up and practice.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 03:14 PM
  #29
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 32,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Keep your head up and practice.
On that note, any tips for handling the puck/ball without looking at it?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
  #30
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Is it okay to use my stick on the concrete? I have a tennis ball I can use in the backyard but I'm so protective of my new stick that I don't really want to ruin it on the concrete.
I've got a plastic blade for playing street hockey or just screwing around on concrete. It's a one piece stick, not one of those were you just screw a plastic blade onto a shaft. I prefer plastic on cement because it obviously dosn't splinter the way wood does and it slides across cement alot easier than a wood blade.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
  #31
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,606
vCash: 500
Get a Smarthockey ball and stickhandle in your garage/driveway/basement/etc with your head up. Go back and forth working on "quiet" hands (shouldn't be a smack every time you touch it), then you can move it around, side to side, front and back, figure 8's, around objects, and keep your head up.

If you're shooting off concrete, pick up some lexan, either from a shooting board, or at the hardware store, or even a rink that might have old boards sitting around. Saves the stick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
  #32
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 32,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Get a Smarthockey ball and stickhandle in your garage/driveway/basement/etc with your head up. Go back and forth working on "quiet" hands (shouldn't be a smack every time you touch it), then you can move it around, side to side, front and back, figure 8's, around objects, and keep your head up.

If you're shooting off concrete, pick up some lexan, either from a shooting board, or at the hardware store, or even a rink that might have old boards sitting around. Saves the stick.
Thanks, that helps a bunch.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
  #33
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,877
vCash: 500
If you're practicing off-ice, wear roller blades. The feel isn't exactly the same, but as a beginner it's similar enough that you will benefit from wearing the skates as you do the stick handling/shooting drills/practice.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
  #34
FinHockey
KRH Master Race
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,721
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Whenever you start working on you're crossover's, remember to work on the weak side more than the strong side. God it's silly that i crossover like a pro to the right. To the left it just feel's unnatural. Same goes for backward's. I crossover perfectly to the right hand side and almost uncapable of crossovering to the left.
What does crossover mean? I know this sounds stupid but I'm not that much into hockeyterm in English. Could you please also post the Finnish word for crossover.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
  #35
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
What does crossover mean? I know this sounds stupid but I'm not that much into hockeyterm in English. Could you please also post the Finnish word for crossover.
Would it help if I explained it?
When turning, instead of just angling your feet in the direction you want to turn, you pick up one foot and put it over the other one, i.e. "crossing over" the other foot.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
  #36
FinHockey
KRH Master Race
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,721
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Would it help if I explained it?
When turning, instead of just angling your feet in the direction you want to turn, you pick up one foot and put it over the other one, i.e. "crossing over" the other foot.
Ok, I got it. Thanks.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.