HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

February 23, 2010 update, post #84 (Emery out for 3 weeks, Feb. 11, 2010)

Old
02-14-2010, 01:57 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think you mean Johan Hedberg. Hard to believe at one time he was Flyers property. I think the Flyers either dealt his rights or let him walk and he signed as a free agent with Pittsburgh. Anyways, he'd be a great back up, but wouldn't be the starter you want come playoff time.

I've talked to a few scouts here in London and from what they've heard around their circles, Holmgren is trying to swing a deal for Turco. The problem though is that Dallas isn't in any sort of rush to move to Turco and should they decide to move Turco, they aren't looking at swapping him for a contract like Hartnell's. Dallas management feels that Turco is still a very good asset that can land a high draft pick, top prospect and young roster player, even with his pending UFA status and his age being 35. So, unless Dallas decides to drop their asking price, they're going to be stuck with Turco and Lehtonen as their goalies and they're going to lose Turco for nothing once he hits UFA status.

Honestly, the Flyers are screwed with regards to goaltending. The Islanders want a second for Biron and when you take a look around the league, nobody is offering up any goaltenders. It might just be in the Flyers best interest to take a look at someone like a Corey Schneider or any other goalie who might be an NHLer, but is stuck in the AHL because their parent team already has a number one.
Briere, Gagne or Hartnell's contract has to go the other way. That leaves a huge hole to fill assuming they waive their no trade clauses.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Briere, Gagne or Hartnell's contract has to go the other way. That leaves a huge hole to fill assuming they waive their no trade clauses.
The key here is that Dallas doesn't have to take on Briere, Gagne or Hartnell's salary should they decide to move Turco. They know what their asking price is and from what I've heard, Dallas management is sticking to their asking price.

From a Flyers standpoint, one of Briere, Gagne or Hartnell need to be moved in order to make this deal work and Dallas management knows this. Dallas management knows this, and as a result, they want the Flyers to sweeten the pot by adding one of the organization's top prospects to the deal because Dallas doesn't need to take on any additional contracts. They are actually doing the Flyers a favour by taking that contract.

Like I said, I doubt the Turco move happens because it's going to cost a roster player and a top prospect just to fit Turco in. The Flyers have a better chance of going after a goalie like a Cory Schneider or a Tukka Rask, someone who is ready for a starter's job, but can't get it due to who is playing ahead of them on the depth chart.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 10:56 AM
mtxed

Is Emery done for the season yet? lol

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
if Emery is in fact done for the season, and he thinks that Leighton can carry this team deep in the playoffs he is sadly mistaken. Yes Leighton has played well, and I will give him credit but the defense has helped him out. alot.
imagine Leighton with last years D in front of him? yikes.
If Emery is done for the season and if Holmgren decides to ride out the combo of Leighton and Boucher(who hasnt played in what 2 months?) and the Flyers get smoked in roound 1 he should be fired. period. no questions asked.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 01:34 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Do you think he will be back in the first week of March?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 01:54 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Nope.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 02:23 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Let him sit for a few weeks to ACTUALLY get better/rested. Bring him back with a few weeks left in the regular season and condition him into playoff form IMO. If that fails, it's pretty much the best we could do for our goalie situation.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

My guess is that he'll stay "injured" until Leighton poops the bed and then he'll miraculously heal and be back in.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
  • Holmgren will not travel with the team on the trade deadline day.
  • Parent and Syvret expected back for the first post-Olympics' game.
  • First practice is Thursday (this week).

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...289&feedID=695

Quote:
When it comes to the Flyers and injuries, the expression ‘no news is good news’ often doesn’t apply.

Especially, when the player in question is goaltender Ray Emery.

General manager Paul Holmgren said there was no news – either positive or negative – about his goalie, who has been shut down since Feb. 11 with problems in his damaged left hip. Emery has been rehabbing off-ice.

“Ray is still up in the air,” Holmgren said, without elaborating. “There is really nothing really new on him.

“When he comes back [Wednesday] we’ll get him checked again to see if there is any positive progress and go from there.”

Despite numerous internet predictions that the Flyers will upgrade in goal next week via a trade deadline deal, Holmgren continued to maintain that he is “comfortable” with Michael Leighton as his current starter and Brian Boucher as his back-up, even though the latter has not played a single minute in the club’s last 19 games.

Boucher’s last appearance in net was in relief on Jan. 3 in Ottawa.

“I don’t know that goaltending has been a problem here, at all,” Holmgren said. “When Ray has been healthy, he’s been very good. Michael Leighton has been excellent. Brian Boucher, when he’s played, prior to being injured, was pretty good, too.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-23-2010 at 03:44 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
IrishSniper87

Tomas Vokoun to Philly

E6

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Tomas Vokoun to Philly

E6

you....

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 04:28 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I wonder if Parent and Syvret will play or will we stick with the six that we have been playing with

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

“When he comes back [Wednesday] we’ll get him checked again to see if there is any positive progress and go from there.”

why would they have 'news' today??

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I wonder if Parent and Syvret will play or will we stick with the six that we have been playing with
It will depend how they look.

My guess would be stick with the current 6 (unless one of the 3 Olympians is banged up/needs a rest.

Send Parent to the Phantoms for 2 weeks conditioning.

Keep Syvret as #7 until Parent is recalled, then waive him again.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

My guess would be stick with the current 6 (unless one of the 3 Olympians is banged up/needs a rest.

I don't have that much faith in Parent right now.

I would, send to Parent to the Phantoms then when he is ready send him here. Send Syvret down when Parent is ready for NHL play. I wouldn't want to see Parent go down, again, and not have Syvret waiting in the wing.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Mr Oysterhead

No news either good or bad sounds like bad news to me. If he has made no progress in either direction can we assume he's at the same spot he was two weeks ago? That would definitely register as bad news to me...

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
jb**

Quote:

what is the over/under date on parent getting hurt again and shut down? no odubt he should go to the ahl to get intop game shape. The flyers are in no position to let him find his game in the nhl.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
  • Holmgren will not travel with the team on the trade deadline day.
  • Parent and Syvret expected back for the first post-Olympics' game.
  • First practice is Thursday (this week).

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...289&feedID=695
He cannot be serious. Leighton against the Caps or Pens in the playoffs?

really Holmgren?

Old
02-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
eh, i doubt he truly believes what hes saying. he would be a terrible GM if he came out and said "our current starting goalie isnt gonna cut it in playoffs, im gonna need to can him somehow."

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
if Emery is in fact done for the season, and he thinks that Leighton can carry this team deep in the playoffs he is sadly mistaken. Yes Leighton has played well, and I will give him credit but the defense has helped him out. alot.
imagine Leighton with last years D in front of him? yikes.
If Emery is done for the season and if Holmgren decides to ride out the combo of Leighton and Boucher(who hasnt played in what 2 months?) and the Flyers get smoked in roound 1 he should be fired. period. no questions asked.
as if your name wasn't enough..

what if they roll with biron/halak/price/turco/etc.. and get smoked in the first round? should he still be fired?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:

The Flyers are not in position to be risking losing defensemen on waivers. Bartulis should go back to the minors if that is the case.

Emphasis on should. Asset management is optional is town.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

If Holmgren does indeed go out and get a upgrade in goal the price is going to be high.
Teams know our situation. No one is going to hand us a starting goalie.

The question is what would you be willing to pay?

Its going to cost more then Hartnell for a upgrade in goal.

Old
02-24-2010, 12:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
If Holmgren does indeed go out and get a upgrade in goal the price is going to be high.
Teams know our situation. No one is going to hand us a starting goalie.

The question is what would you be willing to pay?

Its going to cost more then Hartnell for a upgrade in goal.
This is what some of us were crying about before the season, and were just told that we only like to whine and complain. Holmgren backed himself into a corner, and any upgrades would have to be uber-creative. The Flyers additions since the end of training camp have been 2 AHL callups, a 3rd goalie off re-entry waivers, and a defenseman who was released in the middle of the season. Granted those worked out, but to make a significant upgrade when needed, is simply not possible without subtracting from your 23-man roster when you don't have any draft picks to trade. There may not be any upgrades to be made because there are not any that fit. Thanks to our gunslinger GM and his "I'll cross that road when I get to it" attitude.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This is what some of us were crying about before the season, and were just told that we only like to whine and complain. Holmgren backed himself into a corner, and any upgrades would have to be uber-creative. The Flyers additions since the end of training camp have been 2 AHL callups, a 3rd goalie off re-entry waivers, and a defenseman who was released in the middle of the season. Granted those worked out, but to make a significant upgrade when needed, is simply not possible without subtracting from your 23-man roster when you don't have any draft picks to trade. There may not be any upgrades to be made because there are not any that fit. Thanks to our gunslinger GM and his "I'll cross that road when I get to it" attitude.
You're forgetting the whole addition of 1.3M of dead cap space.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
as if your name wasn't enough..

what if they roll with biron/halak/price/turco/etc.. and get smoked in the first round? should he still be fired?

You think we should stick with Leighton?
or Boucher who hasnt played in 2 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Holmgren rolled the dice on Emery and that is looking like its going to backfire because he just cant stay healthy. These are the type of things that get most GM's fired. Probably not in Philadelphia though where they do things their own way. Some of these "moves" have worked out, and I will call that luck more then anything.
But you are probably right. Any moves made is going to cost Hartnell at least just to make it work salary wise and then how do you replace Hartnell?
I am sure the GM's on this board have ideas that they think would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're forgetting the whole addition of 1.3M of dead cap space.
Then there is this, We have beaten this to death but there are not enough words to describe just how dumb and undefendable putting Jones on re-entry because he made a promise and he wanted to do "what was right"
what can you do.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 02-24-2010 at 01:23 AM.