HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How did you decide left or right stick handed?

Old
02-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Honestly, that's because of ignorance in the United States, generated by those with limited knowledge who only played baseball thinking hockey is the same.
You were doing good right up to that sentence. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've seen on here in a long time. Seems the Americans on the Olympic teams, ignorant as they might be, are doing all right for themselves.

If it were so obvious, this wouldn't be a major source of controversy on here everytime the question came up.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:35 AM
MJAYK

I think the general pattern is:

Left handed - Right handed stick

Right handed - Left handed stick.

Personally im right handed and naturally i use a left handed stick. I also swing a baseball bat from the left. Someone mentioned showeling. I showel with my right hand on top, just like on the hockey stick.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Awesome, thanks guys. Is this not the recommended way for right-handed people? I read online that your dominant hand should go on top, but holding the stick that way feels so unnatural.
Go with what feels natural.

Pick up a cheap right woodie and play around with it. But also if you have a friend who shoots left, try out his stick too.

The only REAL way to know for sure is to play around a bit.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
I always assumed that righties played right because you'd have more puck control with the right hand on the bottom. I never thought about generating shot power. Playing lefty for me was more about what I thought would be natural.
I'm a righty and having tried both sticks I feel like I have more puck control playing left. The left hand just acts as kind of a pivot point, and the right hand does all the work from up top.

But it works differently for different people.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Professor Dangles

I'm right handed and use a right handed stick, it's what feels natural for you.

If you're a righty typically you will have more control using a left handed stick however the bottom hand controls the load of your shot and therefore a right handed stick would increase your shot power.

It's power vs. control go with whats comfortable for you

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
RinkRat6671

my dad started me with a straight stick when i was almost 4. i just played with a straight stick until i felt comfortable with a specific side. Do what feels right for you.

RinkRat6671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The New York Times recently pondered this very issue. Apparently it depends on what side of the US/Canada border you come from:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sp...er=rss&emc=rss

Quote:
“The top hand on a hockey stick has to be able to handle the torques of a stick while the bottom hand just has to handle the weight with no torques,” he wrote. He theorized that American children, who tend to take up hockey when they are older and bigger, can afford to put the stronger hand, generally the right, on the lower part of the shaft for more precision.

A lot of experts would argue, however, that having the dominant hand on top makes for better control and stick-handling.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

I'm right handed and I shoot left. Just try both when starting out and decide which one feels most comfortable. The shovel advice was pretty good too.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'm not sure about the shovel analogy. Hockey skills aren't closely comparable to lifting heavy objects from the ground...

Old
02-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm not sure about the shovel analogy. Hockey skills aren't closely comparable to lifting heavy objects from the ground...
I think his point was more in the way you hold the shovel. I shoot lefty and I would never put my left hand at the top of a shovel. My first instinct would always be to hold it like I would a hockey stick. Although the motion between the two aren't comparable, the way you hold it to generate the most power is.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
pfloyd75

I'm a righty and I grew up swinging baseball bats, tennis raquets, and golf clubs RH, so hockey followed suit. Call me an ignorant American if you wish.

I also play goalie and catch left, therefore using a LH gpalie stick and getting a lot of practice stickhandling LH. It has never felt close to being as comfortable as a RH stick.

Also, I think that having my right leg being dominant (from Soccer) helps my weight transfer and ability to drive through shots when shooting RH.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
noobman

Play with a left-handed stick if it feels more natural to you.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I was probably 2 years old and don't remember. Always been a lefty in sports though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
But they are with how you control the blade of both. I'm not saying that it's the answer, just what happened to work for me. As you can clearly see, it's not clear at all.

Old
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler Status View Post
I'm right handed and use a right handed stick, it's what feels natural for you.

If you're a righty typically you will have more control using a left handed stick however the bottom hand controls the load of your shot and therefore a right handed stick would increase your shot power.

It's power vs. control go with whats comfortable for you
Shot power comes from the transfer of weight in your hips, not your arm strength.

Old
02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
But they are with how you control the blade of both. I'm not saying that it's the answer, just what happened to work for me. As you can clearly see, it's not clear at all.
I guess my thought was that with a shovel, you're generating power from the "low" arm because the object is to lift a heavy object off the ground. Whereas when handling and shooting pucks, the low arm is being used mostly for control, not so much for power which is coming from other parts of the body.

The NYT article above has some good insight on the mechanics of hockey, which are by no means set in stone for each individual. Personally I shoot right and am starting to regret that decision as I realize I could probably get better results from the left side.

Old
02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
CanadaBacon

I just tried the shovel thing this morning, i automatically used my left hand at the top, so all is good

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
I am almost done with my first beginner season and I am still with this very question. I chose to shoot left (for now) not just for comfort skating, but it makes it better for situations when using just one hand.

Where my debate still comes in is that I had bowled since I was 4. So bowling (3-4 leagues a week) right handed for 26 years resulted in a much, much, much stronger right side. Playing garage hockey with my son I will tend to shoot right. I can really put a lot of power in a shot with my right hand lower. On the ice however, it feels plain wrong to have my left hand on the top. I think I just need to dedicate an entire skate and shoot session to each side and see whats what.

I guess my lingering question is.... What will happen first: My left side picking up strength or learn the dexterity?

My other nagging confusion is why I can roof a shot (hit the cross bar from inside the crease) backhanded but get no elevation AT ALL forehanded. Part of the learning!

TBLightningFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
You were doing good right up to that sentence. Quite possibly one of the dumbest things I've seen on here in a long time. Seems the Americans on the Olympic teams, ignorant as they might be, are doing all right for themselves.

If it were so obvious, this wouldn't be a major source of controversy on here everytime the question came up.
I don't know where you're from, but I've lived in Texas, Florida and Georgia. I've actually seen more than one time where an employee at a store asked a kid, and an adult too, which way they hit in baseball in determining which hand they should shoot with on the ice. That's just 100% hockey ignorance. However, I actually think for kids it matters less, but for adults who are set in their ways and just learning hockey, strong hand on top is a good idea. I can easily tell which adult newbies are using strong hand on top because they are consistently (read, majority of the time) better offensive players.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 02-23-2010 at 06:42 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:56 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Awesome, thanks guys. Is this not the recommended way for right-handed people? I read online that your dominant hand should go on top, but holding the stick that way feels so unnatural.
Either way. Traditionally Dominant hand goes on top, but the rule is whatever feels right.

As for the OP, you're a lefty. If it feels natural to use a lefty stick, use a lefty stick.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
I am almost done with my first beginner season and I am still with this very question. I chose to shoot left (for now) not just for comfort skating, but it makes it better for situations when using just one hand.

Where my debate still comes in is that I had bowled since I was 4. So bowling (3-4 leagues a week) right handed for 26 years resulted in a much, much, much stronger right side. Playing garage hockey with my son I will tend to shoot right. I can really put a lot of power in a shot with my right hand lower. On the ice however, it feels plain wrong to have my left hand on the top. I think I just need to dedicate an entire skate and shoot session to each side and see whats what.

I guess my lingering question is.... What will happen first: My left side picking up strength or learn the dexterity?

My other nagging confusion is why I can roof a shot (hit the cross bar from inside the crease) backhanded but get no elevation AT ALL forehanded. Part of the learning!
Funny, I was JUST thinking to myself "I wonder if my mad bowling skills will have any effect on my hockey playing." I have been on a bowling league for the past 10 years (bowling right handed). I am actually just now aging out of my league which is why I'm switching to something different (hockey). R.I.P Bowling.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I don't know where you're from, but I've lived in Texas, Florida and Georgia. I've actually seen more than one time where an employee at a store asked a kid, and an adult too, which way they hit in baseball in determining which hand they should shoot with on the ice. That's just 100% hockey ignorance. However, I actually think for kids it matters less, but for adults who are set in their ways and just learning hockey, strong hand on top is a good idea. I can easily tell which adult newbies are using strong hand on top because they are consistently (read, majority of the time) better offensive players.
Wow, I now see that you base your vast knowledge of all that is hockey an a few glaring generalizations. Good for you, you've solved one of the great mysteries of the universe by watching "I've actually seen more than one time where an employee at a store asked a kid, and an adult too, which way they hit in baseball". You should write a book sharing your insights. By your standards, even if you buy the only one, it would be a huge success.

Old
02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Wow, I now see that you base your vast knowledge of all that is hockey an a few glaring generalizations. Good for you, you've solved one of the great mysteries of the universe by watching "I've actually seen more than one time where an employee at a store asked a kid, and an adult too, which way they hit in baseball". You should write a book sharing your insights. By your standards, even if you buy the only one, it would be a huge success.
I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you, because I know I'm correct. I've seen parents, family members, "coaches" and many people do that to kids and adults alike. It's basically the rule rather than the exception wherever baseball is huge and hockey isn't.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Either way. Traditionally Dominant hand goes on top, but the rule is whatever feels right.

As for the OP, you're a lefty. If it feels natural to use a lefty stick, use a lefty stick.
That's what I'll be doing.

To me, it seems like the left hand should just really be a pivot. All the control of the stick would come from the right hand up top.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Biolink

Coach made me pick up a broomstick and sweep it around if you had problems deciding handedness. As elementary as that sounds it kinda made sense.

Left hand on top = Righty and vice-versa

Biolink is offline   Reply With Quote