HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats Sets New Ranger Guidelines

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 11:05 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I assume this would be your potential "Sidekick" list.

Quite an honor!!! Thanks, TB.
No charge.
Actually the line should have been, "Just made the list, pal." Pop quiz. Anyone know what movie that is from?

Old
09-25-2003, 11:35 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
No charge.
Actually the line should have been, "Just made the list, pal." Pop quiz. Anyone know what movie that is from?

Billy Madison I believe. The Steve Buscemi (sp?) character.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Barnaby

I like it alot. The point is unity and a gentlemans image! It's the same thing with the Yankees, and I for one love it. Jason Giambi comes to the Yankees as a two-time MVP and one of the most feared hitters in baseball and ya know what? He's gotta cut his hair and be clean shavin like everyone else. He also has to dress up and blend in with the TEAM CONCEPT. These are the types of rules that show management is in charge and not some of these overpaid whiners. They cant just where whatever the heck they want. Brings them down to earth a little and reminds them that they are a TEAM.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
shveik

I am just a Wing fan lurking around. And what a gem you guys have. This is like a page from a Dilbert comic. I wonder if later in the season, if the situation doesn't improve, Sather will implement a series of suit-and-tie only emergency meetings with Messier giving multi-hour presentations on "how we did it in Edmonton". With a multi-hour rant from Sather afterwards. That will sure whip them into shape.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I like it alot. The point is unity and a gentlemans image! It's the same thing with the Yankees, and I for one love it. Jason Giambi comes to the Yankees as a two-time MVP and one of the most feared hitters in baseball and ya know what? He's gotta cut his hair and be clean shavin like everyone else. He also has to dress up and blend in with the TEAM CONCEPT. These are the types of rules that show management is in charge and not some of these overpaid whiners. They cant just where whatever the heck they want. Brings them down to earth a little and reminds them that they are a TEAM.
If I wanted a hockey team to play like a team, I would try to have them all play the same system, demand that they all give an equal amount of effort, and hold each of them accountable in the same way. But that's just me, and I'm no self-professed hockey god. So instead, we get a bunch of grown men playing dress-up.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:32 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Does this mean I'm gonna have to look at Dolan's ugly puss sans the goatee?

Old
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Fletch

It sounds queer...

and is a bit queer, but it is about getting serious and becoming a team. Every little bit helps. Of course what Kodiak says is 100% accurate, and I hope some of the bigger things don't fall through the cracks. On the other sid Sather must want to team to at least look good off the ice, since it doesn't on the ice; further, I'm sure he's been dying to know what some of those other languages conversations the boys have been having. Like Holik saying to Nedved in Czech...doesn't Sather have a clue? (of course Holik would more likely say that in English to the press).

Old
09-25-2003, 01:37 PM
riz

Wow...I don't know what to say to this. If it helps on the ice, fine, anything goes. Somehow I just get a feeling that someone is trying to turn the attention away from the real problems that the team has inside the rink.

*runs off to add "Install dress code and common language rules"-button to EHM:FE*

...nah, we'll just stick to the essentials

Old
09-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and is a bit queer....

---Hey I think you're onto something there, Fletch. The Rangers get makeovers on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on Bravo!!!!

(Unfortunately, it wouldn't change the fact that the guys on that show would make a better PK unit that any combo of players on the current roster.....)

Old
09-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I think it's a great idea.

When the playoffs start, I don't want these guys showing up at high end country club golf courses looking like they just stepped off the boat.

Got to love fans who don't take themselves or their team too seriously!

Old
09-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Barnaby

[QUOTE=Laches]---Hey I think you're onto something there, Fletch. The Rangers get makeovers on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on Bravo!!!!
QUOTE]

LoL

Old
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
How can a freakin' dress code be even a passing thought considering the piss-poor on ice showing we've seen in the first 3 1/2 out of 4 games?!?!?!?! Tell me you're working on positioning or PK fundamentals and not hair styles and I'll reserve comment until I see the result.
There's three other articles in three other newspapers over the last two days that talk about the fact that Renney is trying to instill a system so they have been talking about it. One writer (Brooks) just decided to write about this instead which is expected since they are looking for anything to write about. In fact other papers haven't really mentioned this yet. Fletch is right. Any little thing helps. You act like professionals and display unity off the ice then you might just start acting like professionals and display unity on the ice. The Yankees have a similar code and so do the Devils....thats what? Seven championships between them in the past decade? It hasn't hurt them.

Another thing. The Rangers just made an on ice system for this team to follow and you've given them all of 5 days of camp and 4 preseason games, which no one (save a select few) has seen, to get it down? And you wonder why ppl say NY fans have no patience. I'm not really being too serious as I know you like many others on this board are just frustrated with the way this team has been constructed over the last 7 years and I understand that you have little faith in their abilities. I don't blame you....I'm just eternally optimistic!

Old
09-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I guess if the off ice dress code doesn't work to improve the on ice product, Sather can always make the players on the ice tie their jersey strings in a Windsor knot.

Or maybe the next step is to make Dale remove his tattoos???

Old
09-25-2003, 01:57 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I guess if the off ice dress code doesn't work to improve the on ice product, Sather can always make the players on the ice tie their jersey strings in a Windsor knot.

Or maybe the next step is to make Dale remove his tattoos???
Hey, at least we'd have 26 finalists tied for the Lady Bingh trophy at the end of the year.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Hey, at least we'd have 26 finalists tied for the Lady Bingh trophy at the end of the year.
At least we'd be winning something

Old
09-25-2003, 02:58 PM
LondonFan

Holik has it totally wrong. It doesn't begin and end on the ice. Building and running a good succesful team is all about the people. Managing the players. We all here agree that the team has been anythign but that over the last few years, players take stupid penalties because they're oblivious to the team ethic, concerned only with themselves.

So why the negativity surrounding an effort to instill some off-ice team-building unity? The idea is that everyone plays by the same rules off the ice, so that the players will then be more willing to play together on it. I for one see the logic in it and am encouraged by this move.

On a similar note, I'd like to quote Arsene Wenger:
“What I look for in a young player is game intelligence, speed, technique, but even if they have just attitude and technique, you can build on that.What makes you saddest of all is to see talent but no desire to achieve something.”

Old
09-25-2003, 02:58 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

You guys are reading too much into this. The article doesn't say that Sather spent the entire practice session going over a team dress code. It simply states that in an attempt to foster a team attitude the players will have certain rules put in place that they must adhere to, what's so wrong with that? You have to have team unity and build trust amongst the team before you can do anything. It's not all physical you know.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
You guys are reading too much into this. The article doesn't say that Sather spent the entire practice session going over a team dress code. It simply states that in an attempt to foster a team attitude the players will have certain rules put in place that they must adhere to, what's so wrong with that? You have to have team unity and build trust amongst the team before you can do anything. It's not all physical you know.
Actually, I think many of us are skeptical that changing the appearance of the organization off the ice will lead to real changes on the ice.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:10 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Actually, I think many of us are skeptical that changing the appearance of the organization off the ice will lead to real changes on the ice.
I can certainly understand the skepticism but it doesn't hurt to try and get the players on the same page off the ice. It's not like Sather came out at the beginning of pre-season and said that the main thing that's wrong with this team is that they don't all speak english on the bus.

Evidently he had this policy in Edmonton and he's decided to use it here. I can't fault him on that. The only thing I wonder is why it took him 4 years to enforce it?

Old
09-25-2003, 07:48 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Hopefully as the nedved quote in the piece indicated "its a message". It obviously got Holik to say "its about the ice, putting on a tie is easy".

I like it, especially the no personal calls on the bus. If I paid a guy big dollars I want him to work for it. Not call his friend to schedule dinner. That is what the offseason is for. You make millions playing hockey, earn your check.

If you produce on the ice, I can see the rules being relaxed a bit.

Closed Thread