HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadian lines (Who do you want to play with Crosby?)

View Poll Results: Who should be with Crosby?
Nash 87 48.33%
Iginla 108 60.00%
Bergeron 12 6.67%
Toews 40 22.22%
Marleau 12 6.67%
Staal 41 22.78%
Heatley 38 21.11%
Richards 10 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
  #401
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Is anyone else surprised that this line hasn't been kept together?
No. Iginla doesn't have the legs anymore to do more than spot duty on a line like that, at games this fast.

And three games in four nights, like we're facing, forget it.

I like Iginla, he's a terrific player and had a great career, but not in that role, not anymore.

  Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:18 PM
  #402
Rometiklan
Registered User
 
Rometiklan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Chemistry is a funny thing. It's frustrating how world-class players can't find that intangible to get their game together. You would think throwing any combination of these players would be enough to get the job done, but without chemistry, world class players can look entirely out of sync. Still, the team managed 40+ shots on net, which isn't bad. At what point does Babcock stop the line juggling and just let his lines play? He's juggled his lines so often that the players will never develop any chemistry. I realize it's a short tournament so everyone is hoping the line juggling results in instant chemistry but I'd say that's a fairly rare occurrence. Maybe it's better to stick with the line combinations and let it ride. I dunno...just talking out of my ass but at this stage of the tournament, all the mix and matching just smacks of desperation to me.

Rometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
  #403
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rometiklan View Post
Chemistry is a funny thing. It's frustrating how world-class players can't find that intangible to get their game together. You would think throwing any combination of these players would be enough to get the job done, but without chemistry, world class players can look entirely out of sync. Still, the team managed 40+ shots on net, which isn't bad. At what point does Babcock stop the line juggling and just let his lines play? He's juggled his lines so often that the players will never develop any chemistry. I realize it's a short tournament so everyone is hoping the line juggling results in instant chemistry but I'd say that's a fairly rare occurrence. Maybe it's better to stick with the line combinations and let it ride. I dunno...just talking out of my ass but at this stage of the tournament, all the mix and matching just smacks of desperation to me.
Problem is, I don't think they're the right combinations, and the coaching doesn't seem to have given them the proper system to allow for immediate chemistry.

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I agree with

Staal - Crosby - Toews
Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Marleau - Thornton - Iginla
Morrow - Bergeron - Richards (limited ice-time)

Keith - Doughty
Weber - Boyle
Niedermayer - Seabrook (limited icetime)

Luongo
Fleury (could be Brodeur, but I think we need an entirely new look)

Why are you guys still playing Perry on the 4th line? Bergeron has not been useless-- he just hasn't been producing. Perry has been useless, and our 4th line shouldn't be a throwaway.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
  #404
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Nash was excellent... he laid multiple devastating hits on US players -- I remember commenting to friends about him playing like a monster.

The collective cry from my house in Columbus, Ohio when watching those hits was "WTF? and who the H is this guy?".

I hope he brings that edge back to Columbus.

Canada has so many good centers, that I'd say Nash is going to put up points on any line. He's had great success lined with Heatley and Getzlaf in the past, and had a great run with Thornton a few years ago as well.

Who said he doesn't play defense? He will float when the situation is right, but overall he is defensively sound and a very good pk forward. Hitch really transformed his game in that respect.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 05:09 PM
  #405
LostMyGlasses*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Simon Fraser
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
No. Iginla doesn't have the legs anymore to do more than spot duty on a line like that, at games this fast.

And three games in four nights, like we're facing, forget it.

I like Iginla, he's a terrific player and had a great career, but not in that role, not anymore.
Yes, its been eons since his last 50 goal season

Canuck fans irrationally hating on Iginla? Never though I'd see the day

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
  #406
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,872
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
What about something like this:

Toews-Crosby-Perry
Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley
Marleau-Thornton-Iginla
Staal-Richards-Perry

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:10 PM
  #407
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
No. Iginla doesn't have the legs anymore to do more than spot duty on a line like that, at games this fast.

And three games in four nights, like we're facing, forget it.

I like Iginla, he's a terrific player and had a great career, but not in that role, not anymore.
What a joke!

Iginla could do laps past 95% of the other Canadian players, year in year out he is always the most fit Flame, having seen first hand his workout routine against other top athletes routines I personally would put him in the top 5% of all athletes on the planet.

Put it this way, last summer he made Shane Doan puke in the gym trying to keep up. and that was half way threw the workout!!

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:33 PM
  #408
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The collective cry from my house in Columbus, Ohio when watching those hits was "WTF? and who the H is this guy?".

I hope he brings that edge back to Columbus.

Canada has so many good centers, that I'd say Nash is going to put up points on any line. He's had great success lined with Heatley and Getzlaf in the past, and had a great run with Thornton a few years ago as well.

Who said he doesn't play defense? He will float when the situation is right, but overall he is defensively sound and a very good pk forward. Hitch really transformed his game in that respect.
Gotta agree with everything in this post. Though Columbus should be lovin' the fact they signed the face of their franchise to a long-term deal (As I'm sure they are). I've seen a ton of him, due to where he played his minor hockey, but hardly get to see him play with CBJ anymore. He's got so much skill, has been playing like a man possessed, and his massive frame doesn't hurt him at all. He'll need to continue his physical dominance (and running the goalies) if Canada is going to compete.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
  #409
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Put it this way, last summer he made Shane Doan puke in the gym trying to keep up. and that was half way threw the workout!!
Source/background story?

Nihiliste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:49 PM
  #410
Ironslave
Registered User
 
Ironslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Canada's new lines, I think they will stick with these the rest of the way:

Staal- Crosby- Iginla
Marleau- Thornton- Heatley
Morrow- Getzlaf- Perry
Richards- Toews- Nash
Bergeron

Keith- Doughty
Niedermayer- Weber
Pronger- Boyle
Seabrook

I think that Nash is a good fit with Richards and Toews. Nash is a left shot who likes to play the RW, so playing RW with Richards and Toews allows him to do that.

Morrow at LW could also be good with Getzlaf and Perry, both of whom have been ghosts thus far. Morrow should be able to get the puck low, create energy on the fore check, and help with crashing the net.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:11 PM
  #411
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
Canada's new lines, I think they will stick with these the rest of the way:

Staal- Crosby- Iginla
Marleau- Thornton- Heatley
Morrow- Getzlaf- Perry
Richards- Toews- Nash
Bergeron

Keith- Doughty
Niedermayer- Weber
Pronger- Boyle
Seabrook

I think that Nash is a good fit with Richards and Toews. Nash is a left shot who likes to play the RW, so playing RW with Richards and Toews allows him to do that.

Morrow at LW could also be good with Getzlaf and Perry, both of whom have been ghosts thus far. Morrow should be able to get the puck low, create energy on the fore check, and help with crashing the net.
Yeah, I noticed that too (maybe around mid-3rd period). It looks like Toews-Richards-Nash line will be getting matched-up against Malkin-Ovechkin-Semin, so having Nash on that line provides more speed than Morrow, along with similar size and physicality. Plus, Nash provides a more credible offensive threat than does Morrow, which will be extremely important if that line logs big minutes tomorrow. A good move, if Babcock follows-through. And, totally agree with your thoughts on moving Morrow up to the Getzlaf line.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
  #412
Ironslave
Registered User
 
Ironslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too (maybe around mid-3rd period). It looks like Toews-Richards-Nash line will be getting matched-up against Malkin-Ovechkin-Semin, so having Nash on that line provides more speed than Morrow, along with similar size and physicality. Plus, Nash provides a more credible offensive threat than does Morrow, which will be extremely important if that line logs big minutes tomorrow. A good move, if Babcock follows-through. And, totally agree with your thoughts on moving Morrow up to the Getzlaf line.
Agreed. Getzlaf and Perry aren't going at ALL, they need to just stick with the basics more and try and create energy and play smash mouth hockey and generate their chances that way. They both seem to be trying to do too much with the puck and are making their fair share of turnovers. Morrow should help them with that.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:36 PM
  #413
OMGaudreau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Forget Crosby, who do we have that can compliment Iginla?

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:05 AM
  #414
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Source/background story?
I would tell you the whole story but I might have to kill you

I will tell you one of Iginla workouts that very few can do though.

Napsack with four 25lb plates (100lbs) strapped to your back, a rope 25 feet to the roof and climb it and repel without the use of your legs (arms only)

Perspective, I can go "almost" half way (then I give up) younger pro athletes sometimes make it to the top "most don't" and very few don't look like death after coming down.

Iginla on the other hand does it twice in a row, takes 3 deep breaths and says "that was awesome" and is back to normal breath, no sweat...nothing!..I truly believe the man is a robot!

The guy works out with sledge hammers and truck tires for his core...he's totally a crazy machine IMO.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:02 AM
  #415
Duodenum
Registered User
 
Duodenum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Staal-Crosby-Iginla
Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley
Morrow-Toews-Richards
Marleau-Thornton-Perry (play 5 minutes a game)

That's what I wanted to see during the Germany game. Can't really switch it up before Russia though.

Duodenum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
  #416
Ironslave
Registered User
 
Ironslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
anybody know if they play to keep Morrow with Getzlaf and Perry while Nash with Richards and Toews? (I hope they do)

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
  #417
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star
 
ToddRundgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,086
vCash: 500
I'd probably put Crosby with Heatley.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.