HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Playing With Fire" By Theo Fleury DISCUSSION

Old
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
"Playing With Fire" By Theo Fleury DISCUSSION

I just finished reading Theo Fleury's book, Playing With Fire. It was a great read and interesting because he talks a lot about how he was and give a lot of inside to other NHL players. I recommend anyone who likes hockey to read it!

He mentions a game where he played against Avery and Avery's comments were very personal, such as his drug problems, it was kind of interesting, since we always wonder about what Avery is saying, there's some information in the book.

I really am interested in what other people have thought of the book.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I just finished reading Theo Fleury's book, Playing With Fire. It was a great read and interesting because he talks a lot about how he was and give a lot of inside to other NHL players. I recommend anyone who likes hockey to read it!

He mentions a game where he played against Avery and Avery's comments were very personal, such as his drug problems, it was kind of interesting, since we always wonder about what Avery is saying, there's some information in the book.

I really am interested in what other people have thought of the book.
I actually found his comments about Avery hypocritical seeing as Fleury made it point to write about how heckled Keenen about his drunk driving

Otherwise though, I loved the book.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
I actually found his comments about Avery hypocritical seeing as Fleury made it point to write about how heckled Keenen about his drunk driving

Otherwise though, I loved the book.
haha yeah, that was comical...I do agree with him on saying the coaches shouldn't say anything to opposing players, if the game gets heated coaches should say things to opposing coaches.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I wouldn't be surprised Avery commenting about peoples drug problem.

I'd probably do the same if I was in Avery's shoes. It's not like you didn't have any control over getting addicted -- you chose to blow coke (or whatever) -- you pay the price and someone can ridicule you.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I'd like to read it...anyone wanna sell their copy?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I'd like to read it...anyone wanna sell their copy?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...seller=&colid=

Old
02-23-2010, 09:11 PM
CaptainCallahan*

fantastic read, really interesting what he had to say about the new york rangers. particularly how other teams he played for were very tight nit, couldnt sneeze without your teammates knowing, and he comes to new york and its a team full of mercenaries and no camaraderie. wonder when this started happening, and if its still going on? pretty evident the lack of brotherhood when you look at the messier days and then the dark ages. i get the sense that big money wade redden who plays with no heart on the ice, doesn't hang with the guys off the ice. you know voros avery and hank hang out a lot together, i wonder what about the rest of the guys.....

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 07:23 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

On my "books-to-buy" list for a while...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I heard ALOT of people who aren't flames/ranger fans really hated this book for one reason or another. Kind of like avery

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
DontStaal

I haven't finished reading it, but as a hockey player and a fan of the game, it's an awesome book and I would recommend it to all you guys.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
The Mouth

I was kinda of amazed of how Theo is still loved by Ranger fans. I mean I knew Fans Liked him a whole lot, but at the book signing at Borders in NYC the place was jammed.

I also interviewed Theo about the book and he got into it pretty good about some ranger stuff that was left out.

For some reason him saying Eric Lindros was guy who gave it his all, every night as a Ranger sticks in my mind and the most memorable quote which I dont know if is in the book or not, his quote about Alexander Daigle " All the Tools, but no tool box."

it's a great read and the twisted irony is that this graham james cretin is out of jail and coaching youngsters in europe.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Potvins Cups

I have to say even as an Islander fan I miss ol' Crackhead Theo. There is no one to hate anymore within this so called "rivalry". Who can forget Fleury clucking like a chicken at Eric Cairns? Classic stuff.

Potvins Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I was kinda of amazed of how Theo is still loved by Ranger fans. I mean I knew Fans Liked him a whole lot, but at the book signing at Borders in NYC the place was jammed.

I also interviewed Theo about the book and he got into it pretty good about some ranger stuff that was left out.

For some reason him saying Eric Lindros was guy who gave it his all, every night as a Ranger sticks in my mind and the most memorable quote which I dont know if is in the book or not, his quote about Alexander Daigle " All the Tools, but no tool box."

it's a great read and the twisted irony is that this graham james cretin is out of jail and coaching youngsters in europe.
I remember that interview, heh.

As far as James, that's still horrifying to me. Last (credible) thing I heard, he was actually back in Canada, not coaching. A few years back, the Canadians complained to Spain that he was being allowed to coach there. Not sure what happened with that.

I always loved Theo. On one hand, I admired his play, while on the other, I almost pitied him. But substance abuse is a *****, I know this first hand. That he's now clean and sober makes me so proud. My signed Theo poster is one of my favorite possessions.

I'll definitely be picking up a copy of the book.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:02 AM
aslim240

I quit drinking about 18 months and i have never done drugs, but this book is a little disorienting because you feel like you are there with him. And at the end I was like, wow, glad I don't drink any more, but on the other hand I wonder how things would work out if I went to a strip club with a stack of cash and got loaded right now. I was in NY at 2am on a tuesday, it was an option.

Substance abuse is a *****, and it is kind of amazing how long he delivered on the ice for while he was destroying his body and all his personal relationships. The top professional athletes are just on a different plane.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:50 AM
WhooFleuryScores

One of my favorite books, I wrote my own journal/auto bio as well and the way him and I think are so uncanny. I love Theo and will always keep him in my heart when I play, live life,or face obstacles.

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Garv23

Great book! I really enjoyed getting inside the Canada/Russia brawl.

Theo was a pretty **** up little dude!

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I remember that interview, heh.

As far as James, that's still horrifying to me. Last (credible) thing I heard, he was actually back in Canada, not coaching. A few years back, the Canadians complained to Spain that he was being allowed to coach there. Not sure what happened with that.

I always loved Theo. On one hand, I admired his play, while on the other, I almost pitied him. But substance abuse is a *****, I know this first hand. That he's now clean and sober makes me so proud. My signed Theo poster is one of my favorite possessions.

I'll definitely be picking up a copy of the book.
TSN or CBC ran a piece on James a while back, they found him living in a foreign country (Brazil? Mexico? I don't recall.) basically in hiding. He's not coaching, at least not based on that piece.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 11:14 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Absolutely fantastic book. I love how he wrote it as if you and him were just sitting at a bar or restaurant somewhere and he was just talking. His stories were incredible.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Did he talk about doing drugs in Chicago projects with crackheads?

How much did he talk about his time in Chicago ,,,, He was an embarrassment to organization and fans

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 02:29 PM
BrandNewDream

I was right, it was Mexico. Here's a link to the video.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...und_in_mexico/

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 03:30 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

No wonder Avery's mouth is so effective.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCallahan View Post
fantastic read, really interesting what he had to say about the new york rangers. particularly how other teams he played for were very tight nit, couldnt sneeze without your teammates knowing, and he comes to new york and its a team full of mercenaries and no camaraderie. wonder when this started happening, and if its still going on? pretty evident the lack of brotherhood when you look at the messier days and then the dark ages. i get the sense that big money wade redden who plays with no heart on the ice, doesn't hang with the guys off the ice. you know voros avery and hank hang out a lot together, i wonder what about the rest of the guys.....
I think it really started around the 95-96 season. The team sold off a lot of assets to win the cup (and we can argue about whether they needed to) and they had to keep trading or bringing in guys to sustain the success. The worse the system and scouting became, the more guys they needed to bring in.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:30 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Does Fleury go into specifics about why he struggled so much early on with the Rangers? The first year he played in New York, that 1999-2000 Rangers team was an utter disaster. Leetch missed 30+ games that year. And they were picking up guys off the scrap heap like Daigle. It's a good thing I didn't watch many games that year (roommates in college weren't hockey fans), because I don't know if I could have stomached it.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

A little over halfway through, and I just can't find the time to finish it. Excellent book though, really gotta pick it up again soon.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote