HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How did you decide left or right stick handed?

Old
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm not sure about the shovel analogy. Hockey skills aren't closely comparable to lifting heavy objects from the ground...
The dominant hand is on the handle and it does make sense. Shoveling, playing pool etc.

I still say that lefty sticks should be called righty sticks and righty sticks called lefty sticks because they have it backwards imho.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
The dominant hand is on the handle and it does make sense. Shoveling, playing pool etc.

I still say that lefty sticks should be called righty sticks and righty sticks called lefty sticks because they have it backwards imho.
You could say that, but I think it's more about which direction the stick points.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfieldSkins View Post
You could say that, but I think it's more about which direction the stick points.
It is for sure but it is strange to me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
It is for sure but it is strange to me.
I totally agree. It would make more sense.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you, because I know I'm correct.
The greatest arguement going when you have nothing to back you up. And, it's not a pissing match, I just get a laugh of of your reasoning and lack of any facts.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:23 AM
CanadaBacon

How the hell dos it not make sense. If you shoot right, you are shooting off your right side, if you shoot left you are shooting off your left side. Its pretty damn basic

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:55 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
How the hell dos it not make sense. If you shoot right, you are shooting off your right side, if you shoot left you are shooting off your left side. Its pretty damn basic
I think it does make more sense this way. Unless it specified "HAND ON TOP = HANDEDNESS," but then I think I would get confused because the stick points the other way AND it's on my right side. So yeah, I like how it is.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:04 AM
SuicideKings15

I was about 3 and wanted to be Mario.

SuicideKings15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolink View Post
Coach made me pick up a broomstick and sweep it around if you had problems deciding handedness. As elementary as that sounds it kinda made sense.
Using a broom to decided makes much more sense than a shovel. Good call.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
JMUcapsfan07

Odd, growing up I always felt way more comfortable with my left hand at the top of the stick and right at the bottom - and I'm naturally right handed. Sucks to know this is the wrong way to do it.

BTW - SpringfieldSkins, didn't know you were on this forum. Have you been skating at Fairfax this week yet?

JMUcapsfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
I am a righty and play right hand on bottom. I play golf right handed too. Growing up playing floor hockey I always played right.

When shoveling, I go both ways. I start out with my left(non dominate) hand on the handle. When my right arm gets tired I change it up so my right(dominate)hand is on the handle. Maybe I can shoot both ways. I have never tried. That could throw some people off if I start the game righty and end it lefty!

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 08:58 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post
Odd, growing up I always felt way more comfortable with my left hand at the top of the stick and right at the bottom - and I'm naturally right handed. Sucks to know this is the wrong way to do it.

BTW - SpringfieldSkins, didn't know you were on this forum. Have you been skating at Fairfax this week yet?
If you feel more comfortable playing righty, you did it the right way!

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

Quote:

+1

The controlling hand goes on top, which should be the determining label.

I wonder what it would take for the marketplace and public to fix the description so that it would be more accurate.

Maybe we should just start doing it here at HF, and see if it spreads nationwide...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Dgill

I must have been five or six when I started. Dad told me to pick up a stick, I picked one up and had my right hand high and left hand low in an unconscious decision. Im a lefty.

Dgill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Dgill

Quote:

Sticks are characterized by the way the blade curves and opens, not on how you old your stick.

Dgill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My 10 month old already grabs his toy hockey stick with his right hand. He's very right hand dominant and I'm pretty sure he'll be a lefty.

Still getting him a straight blade stick when he gets old enough to bat a ball around though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The greatest arguement going when you have nothing to back you up. And, it's not a pissing match, I just get a laugh of of your reasoning and lack of any facts.
Argument has no e. By the way, my reasoning is "merely" conventional wisdom and experience. If you're going to scoff at well considered professional thinking, have more than a supposedly witty retort prepared as an attack.

Furthermore, if you can honestly tell me a majority of right hand dominant persons who take up the game as right hand shooters aren't generally offensively/generally weaker players in 1-2 years than right handed persons who shoot lefty, I'll stop talking. The puck handling aspect, comparatively speaking, appears staggering. I've captained C league teams and seen it many times. I also used to play roller where it was a mixed league and it was true pretty much every single time. Newbie RH players who shoot RH fight the puck like nothing I've ever seen.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 02-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Using a broom to decided makes much more sense than a shovel. Good call.
This is what I was going to say.

Go sweep your kitchen floor and it will be pretty clear what way you should hold a hockey stick.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Newbie RH players who shoot RH fight the puck like nothing I've ever seen.
As a newbie RH player, I would like a little more detail on this point...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Honestly I can't believe there is a 3 page thread about this, its a bit silly (stupid) really. There is NO WRONG or right way to shoot, every single human being is different and whether you are right or left handed has nothing to do with it. Its completely what you feel natural, pick up a right and left stick, you will know immediately which one you are meant to shoot with.

Its about as natural as knowing what hand you write with, if you give a 3 year old a crayon, he/she will 99% of the time write with the same hand. Its ridiculous that some people say right handed people should shoot XXXX and left handed people should do this or that....not one person is the same, do what is natural TO YOU. End thread/

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
bonnielad

And just to confuse it all even more, what about those of us that are split - right hand dominant but left foot dominant?

I shoot right handed (right hand low) simply because I'm left foot dominant (better balance and can perform hockey stops left foot forward). Can puck handle better better with a leftie stick, but can't shoot or be of much use on the ice (stopping, etc... and passing/shooting).

Where as with a right stick I can shoot, pass, and skate/stop with a puck but puck handling as a whole suffers. Hopeing the dexterity catches up while I work on my weak side.

bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Argument has no e. By the way, my reasoning is "merely" conventional wisdom and experience. If you're going to scoff at well considered professional thinking, have more than a supposedly witty retort prepared as an attack.

Furthermore, if you can honestly tell me a majority of right hand dominant persons who take up the game as right hand shooters aren't generally offensively/generally weaker players in 1-2 years than right handed persons who shoot lefty, I'll stop talking. The puck handling aspect, comparatively speaking, appears staggering. I've captained C league teams and seen it many times. I also used to play roller where it was a mixed league and it was true pretty much every single time. Newbie RH players who shoot RH fight the puck like nothing I've ever seen.
I dont think this statement is at all accurate. Mind you i obviously have no data to back it up, but in every league i have played in i have never seen a correlation between being rh and shooting rh and being "weaker".

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
ArgumEnt has no e.
Actually, it does. If the best argument you have to support you is to correct my spelling, well, that's as lame as your corrections. Show me the facts to back up your wild accusations and I'll be forever in your debt.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
canuck44

I was pretty old when I started (9 or 10 can't remember) so I knew what was more comfortable

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:50 PM
SpringfieldSkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUcapsfan07 View Post

Hey man. I'm here too.

I went on Tuesday. I like the night skates there because there aren't many people there. I'll probably be going on Thursday as well since I don't think I'll get a chance this weekend. I'll hit you up on ES about it if I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Honestly I can't believe there is a 3 page thread about this, its a bit silly (stupid) really. There is NO WRONG or right way to shoot, every single human being is different and whether you are right or left handed has nothing to do with it. Its completely what you feel natural, pick up a right and left stick, you will know immediately which one you are meant to shoot with.

Its about as natural as knowing what hand you write with, if you give a 3 year old a crayon, he/she will 99% of the time write with the same hand. Its ridiculous that some people say right handed people should shoot XXXX and left handed people should do this or that....not one person is the same, do what is natural TO YOU. End thread/
As the OP, I didn't think it was a stupid idea for a thread. As I said, I'm going to start playing hockey. Shooting lefty feels more natural to me, but I didn't want to mess anything up because I am right handed. I was completely unaware that most right handed people (in other countries) shot lefty. This thread has taught me quite a bit and solidified my decision to go lefty.

So yeah, the thread was worthy of three pages to me. Considering the discourse that it encouraged, I'd say it was worth it to others as well.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote