HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

February 23, 2010 update, post #84 (Emery out for 3 weeks, Feb. 11, 2010)

Old
02-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
as if your name wasn't enough..

what if they roll with biron/halak/price/turco/etc.. and get smoked in the first round? should he still be fired?
I think he should be fired regardless of what he does with the goalie situation. His piss poor management of the cap is reason enough to fire him. However, it will be a complete disgrace if there is a first round exit because we lack a real goalie. You don't mortgage your future for Pronger and then cross your fingers that a career third stringer won't go back to his normal level.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:22 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think he should be fired regardless of what he does with the goalie situation. His piss poor management of the cap is reason enough to fire him. However, it will be a complete disgrace if there is a first round exit because we lack a real goalie. You don't mortgage your future for Pronger and then cross your fingers that a career third stringer won't go back to his normal level.
Havent you heard leighton is the real deal late bloomer. They are fine there. That is what is comical. They acquire Pronger to supposedly make a run. Yet have substandard goaltending. Readardless how emery may have turned out you dont go into a season with a huge ? in goal. Seems like shooter hasno idea who is in his own conf and who his goalie will have to beat. They will never grasp the concept that quality goaltending is needed.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
emery is a career third stringer? right..

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
...he was talking about Leighton.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Leighton. I don't expect Emery's torn labrum to magically be repaired between now and the playoffs so I am not expecting him to be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...he was talking about Leighton.
She

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 04:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're forgetting the whole addition of 1.3M of dead cap space.
I didn't, I was just focusing on players we were adding. With what we have to trade, it's unlikely we'd find someone worth the time and energy that could fill up that space for the rest of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Holmgren rolled the dice on Emery and that is looking like its going to backfire because he just cant stay healthy. These are the type of things that get most GM's fired. Probably not in Philadelphia though where they do things their own way. Some of these "moves" have worked out, and I will call that luck more then anything.
But you are probably right. Any moves made is going to cost
And that's not acceptable given the expectations of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Hartnell at least just to make it work salary wise and then how do you replace Hartnell?
Replacing his stupid penalties and non-existence offense isn't much of a problem. Hartnell gets paid way too much to be an every-other-year player.

I am sure the GM's on this board have ideas that they think would work.[/QUOTE]

I had Craig Anderson picked out, he's certainly working out better for Colorado than Emery is for us. Others had a guy like Manny Malholta picked out -- also working out well for San Jose. We're not GMs, but it's not unreasonable to suggest smart hockey fans have better ideas given the ineptitude of our current GM - one who I'm on record of feeling is not qualified to be in the position. And it seems like other people seem to be falling away from the "but he traded Zhitnik for Coburn" phase.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote