HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
  #101
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Ha, that's pretty funny, I'm close to the weight you want, yet I'm looking to gain. And you're close to the weight I want, yet you're looking to lose. 185 at 6'0 sounds great to me, 190 sounds even better. But of course I'm talking about a certain amount of muscle and body fat, and if you're not happy enough with yours, do what you gotta do.
Well that's part of it. 185 isn't bad with muscle. I've got 15% body fat though, so that's a problem. I'm looking to drop fat more than anything, and I'm expecting the weight to go with it. I know when I was around 170 and playing hockey I was in the best shape of my life. It depends on your body build too. I'm 185 but have a beer gut. And like I said, I want a six pack, and simply doing ab workouts won't get you a six pack, you need to shed the fat around the area too.

Really I'm going to just do my damnedest to eat salad for lunch from now on and shed some weight.

Also, the way you explained the calories and servings (or %'s) to grams works out, and is very helpful. Thanks.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
  #102
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Well that's part of it. 185 isn't bad with muscle. I've got 15% body fat though, so that's a problem. I'm looking to drop fat more than anything, and I'm expecting the weight to go with it. I know when I was around 170 and playing hockey I was in the best shape of my life. It depends on your body build too. I'm 185 but have a beer gut. And like I said, I want a six pack, and simply doing ab workouts won't get you a six pack, you need to shed the fat around the area too.

Really I'm going to just do my damnedest to eat salad for lunch from now on and shed some weight.

Also, the way you explained the calories and servings (or %'s) to grams works out, and is very helpful. Thanks.
Dont fall into the misconception that Saladworks or Chicken Caeser salads area healthy. You might as well eat a cheeseburger with a bag ofchips.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
  #103
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,125
vCash: 500
Bottom line is if calories in < calories burned on a regular basis, you will lose weight. Might not look so good though unless you throw in some exercise too.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
  #104
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I did my first p90x DVD over the weekend, plyometrics (sp?). My thighs and calves hurt like a *****. I didn't really sweat though.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:20 AM
  #105
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I did my first p90x DVD over the weekend, plyometrics (sp?). My thighs and calves hurt like a *****. I didn't really sweat though.
Pansy.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
  #106
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Pansy.
and I have a hockey game tonight to top it off

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
  #107
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Plyo sucks balls, for sure.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
  #108
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Only problem I had with Plyo was that 180 degree twist to the left and right (straight up, toward the end). That was hurting my knee. Everything else, even the 180 twists into squats, were fine, no knee pain. Harv, how did you feel when you did the Guitar/Rock Star one? Haha.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
  #109
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I guess maybe I'm in the minority with my thinking of how easy the dieting can be. It'll be tough for me to get sick of chicken, so I guess that's a big part of it. But I can just cook up a bunch of it in some olive oil and some seasonings and then have it for the week....make a lot of sandwiches on Arnold's whole grain bread(really good) with it. And there's so many different kinds of spreads you can find if you really look. I have like 4 different kinds of awesome mustard in the fridge right now, haha. And then there's tuna, I like tuna a lot. I have eggs and potatoes in the morning, love that. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey Protein, Chocolate flavor. That **** is delicious, and I'm a picky ***** about that kind of stuff. Don't even need a blender, put it in a shaker with a cup of milk...and it's a smooth, delicious chocolate milk. And it's funny, I used that stuff a couple years ago for a stretch of time(when I knew ridiculously little about exercise and nutrition outside of the fact that Whey protein was a great supplement)...and at the time, I viewed it as this extra expense that I didn't really want to spend the money on. The 5lb tub(70 some servings) of the stuff I get is 40 bucks. I always hated spending that extra 40 bucks on it...but I've come to realize now, that if I'm using it as a meal replacement, which is essentially what I'm doing, it's basically the cheapest option I have. If I weren't drinking the Whey, I'd have to be having protein in some other form, which would cost more. So, if anything, it's saving me money. The Whey is almost 50 cents per serving when you think about it. Not to mention that it's so great at certain times of the day when you're in a hurry and/or don't have a huge appetite. And I understand you can get Whey a good deal cheaper than I do at Costco or BJ's or the like...I'm not certain how good their stuff tastes though.
Next time you buy, try "All the Whey" protein. It's like $10 cheaper and IMO it tastes better than ON. I like the chocolate and the cake batter is unreal. I love the stuff. Give it a try for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
  #110
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Only problem I had with Plyo was that 180 degree twist to the left and right (straight up, toward the end). That was hurting my knee. Everything else, even the 180 twists into squats, were fine, no knee pain. Harv, how did you feel when you did the Guitar/Rock Star one? Haha.
by the time i got to that part, i could barely even jump. my legs are embarrasingly small. I bench 315 and struggle to squat 205 one time.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
  #111
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Obviously when I get to rock star hops I give it 400%.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:16 PM
  #112
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
PS im in the recovery week portion right now. But instead of doing yoga and ******** like that twice a week, im keeping the same MWF routine and doing core synergistics Tuesday and Thursday... and okay, I guess ill do yoga on saturday. *******s.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
  #113
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
PS im in the recovery week portion right now. But instead of doing yoga and ******** like that twice a week, im keeping the same MWF routine and doing core synergistics Tuesday and Thursday... and okay, I guess ill do yoga on saturday. *******s.
I'm doing Yoga tonight. After 4 hours of sleep last night and working an hour 15 overtime (leaving NOW). Fun fun.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:18 PM
  #114
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
"It's time for the world famous....Karen...potstirrers."

Who the **** is Karen?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Next time you buy, try "All the Whey" protein. It's like $10 cheaper and IMO it tastes better than ON. I like the chocolate and the cake batter is unreal. I love the stuff. Give it a try for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Where do you get it from? Amazon is the only place I checked, but on there it's $43 + $4.50 shipping for a 5 lb tub. So that'd be 6 or 7 bucks more than the ON. Are the serving sizes smaller? Do you know how many servings in a 5 lb?

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:50 PM
  #115
Cannonation
 
Cannonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairless Hills
Country: United States
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
Well I figured I'd put my two cents in. First a bit of background, im 5'9" sitting just under 150, muscle mass is a bit lacking, but I don't really worry about it to much. I go for the lean look since I'm a serious runner. Best thing to do is have a fairly good balance between protein and complex carbs. The protein of course will help you build the muscle, but if your intake is to high, it will be converted to fat stores, so avoid an excessive amount. Someone said they were having 200g in a day, that's excess. I'd stay in the 100-150 range unless you're trying to become a professional lifter, which I doubt anyone is.
As you start to build up the muscle though, your body will become easily fatigued because you'll be expending more energy due to the added muscle mass, so that's why the complex carbs (grains, pastas, etc) are important. They'll provide sustainable energy. Avoid saturated fats, cholesterol (HDL is fine), and sodium. Mono and polyunsaturated fats are fine in moderation (fish and nuts are a good source).

Cannonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
  #116
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post

Where do you get it from? Amazon is the only place I checked, but on there it's $43 + $4.50 shipping for a 5 lb tub. So that'd be 6 or 7 bucks more than the ON. Are the serving sizes smaller? Do you know how many servings in a 5 lb?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/allthewhey/wheyprotein.html

$35 for a 5 pound tub. 80 servings compared to the 74 servings with ON. If you are interested I can give you a promo code that gets 10% off your order which takes it to $31.50 plus shipping. I forget what the exact shipping price is but the total would be roughly $37 shipped. Super fast shipping too. If you order it Monday Before 3-4pm and it will be at your door Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device


Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 02-23-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
  #117
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/allthewhey/wheyprotein.html

$35 for a 5 pound tub. 80 servings compared to the 74 servings with ON. If you are interested I can give you a promo code that gets 10% off your order which takes it to $31.50 plus shipping. I forget what the exact shipping price is but the total would be roughly $37 shipped. Super fast shipping too. If you order it Monday Before 3-4pm and it will be at your door Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll trade you a router for a tub of protein?!

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
  #118
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'll trade you a router for a tub of protein?!
Lol, ****ing deal! I still haven't figured out what the hell to get for thatsituation. Computers are like squats and leg presses, I can't stand them but I get used to them because I know I need them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
  #119
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
dude, **** squats!

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
  #120
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
PS P90 people, Core synergistics is one of the best P90 dvds if you really push yourself on it. Great for abs.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
  #121
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Lol, ****ing deal! I still haven't figured out what the hell to get for thatsituation. Computers are like squats and leg presses, I can't stand them but I get used to them because I know I need them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I literally have a netgear router sitting in my bedroom doing nothing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+...=1108125361676

Although u'd only be saving urself 15 bucks trading with me....lol

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 05:56 PM
  #122
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Is there a 30 minute workout available for P90X? There is no chance I am going to be able to much tonight as I'm exhausted from work, and staying later at the station. But I'd like to get something in. Any recommendations? Is there one good one that maybe I can do half of? Mind you I'm still going to continue with today's workout...only tomorrow.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
  #123
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
You could just do half of plyo or something, or try cardio X... I havent ever done that one, so I cant tell you if its any good.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
  #124
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
ab ripper x is pretty silly.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
  #125
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Silly as in its too easy for you? You dont think the moves work well? Or that the moves themselves are just goofy?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.