HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Old
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Ha, that's pretty funny, I'm close to the weight you want, yet I'm looking to gain. And you're close to the weight I want, yet you're looking to lose. 185 at 6'0 sounds great to me, 190 sounds even better. But of course I'm talking about a certain amount of muscle and body fat, and if you're not happy enough with yours, do what you gotta do.
Well that's part of it. 185 isn't bad with muscle. I've got 15% body fat though, so that's a problem. I'm looking to drop fat more than anything, and I'm expecting the weight to go with it. I know when I was around 170 and playing hockey I was in the best shape of my life. It depends on your body build too. I'm 185 but have a beer gut. And like I said, I want a six pack, and simply doing ab workouts won't get you a six pack, you need to shed the fat around the area too.

Really I'm going to just do my damnedest to eat salad for lunch from now on and shed some weight.

Also, the way you explained the calories and servings (or %'s) to grams works out, and is very helpful. Thanks.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Well that's part of it. 185 isn't bad with muscle. I've got 15% body fat though, so that's a problem. I'm looking to drop fat more than anything, and I'm expecting the weight to go with it. I know when I was around 170 and playing hockey I was in the best shape of my life. It depends on your body build too. I'm 185 but have a beer gut. And like I said, I want a six pack, and simply doing ab workouts won't get you a six pack, you need to shed the fat around the area too.

Really I'm going to just do my damnedest to eat salad for lunch from now on and shed some weight.

Also, the way you explained the calories and servings (or %'s) to grams works out, and is very helpful. Thanks.
Dont fall into the misconception that Saladworks or Chicken Caeser salads area healthy. You might as well eat a cheeseburger with a bag ofchips.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Bottom line is if calories in < calories burned on a regular basis, you will lose weight. Might not look so good though unless you throw in some exercise too.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
JSTAFF

I did my first p90x DVD over the weekend, plyometrics (sp?). My thighs and calves hurt like a *****. I didn't really sweat though.

Old
02-22-2010, 09:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I did my first p90x DVD over the weekend, plyometrics (sp?). My thighs and calves hurt like a *****. I didn't really sweat though.
Pansy.

Old
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Pansy.
and I have a hockey game tonight to top it off

Old
02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Plyo sucks balls, for sure.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Only problem I had with Plyo was that 180 degree twist to the left and right (straight up, toward the end). That was hurting my knee. Everything else, even the 180 twists into squats, were fine, no knee pain. Harv, how did you feel when you did the Guitar/Rock Star one? Haha.

Old
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
I guess maybe I'm in the minority with my thinking of how easy the dieting can be. It'll be tough for me to get sick of chicken, so I guess that's a big part of it. But I can just cook up a bunch of it in some olive oil and some seasonings and then have it for the week....make a lot of sandwiches on Arnold's whole grain bread(really good) with it. And there's so many different kinds of spreads you can find if you really look. I have like 4 different kinds of awesome mustard in the fridge right now, haha. And then there's tuna, I like tuna a lot. I have eggs and potatoes in the morning, love that. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey Protein, Chocolate flavor. That **** is delicious, and I'm a picky ***** about that kind of stuff. Don't even need a blender, put it in a shaker with a cup of milk...and it's a smooth, delicious chocolate milk. And it's funny, I used that stuff a couple years ago for a stretch of time(when I knew ridiculously little about exercise and nutrition outside of the fact that Whey protein was a great supplement)...and at the time, I viewed it as this extra expense that I didn't really want to spend the money on. The 5lb tub(70 some servings) of the stuff I get is 40 bucks. I always hated spending that extra 40 bucks on it...but I've come to realize now, that if I'm using it as a meal replacement, which is essentially what I'm doing, it's basically the cheapest option I have. If I weren't drinking the Whey, I'd have to be having protein in some other form, which would cost more. So, if anything, it's saving me money. The Whey is almost 50 cents per serving when you think about it. Not to mention that it's so great at certain times of the day when you're in a hurry and/or don't have a huge appetite. And I understand you can get Whey a good deal cheaper than I do at Costco or BJ's or the like...I'm not certain how good their stuff tastes though.
Next time you buy, try "All the Whey" protein. It's like $10 cheaper and IMO it tastes better than ON. I like the chocolate and the cake batter is unreal. I love the stuff. Give it a try for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Only problem I had with Plyo was that 180 degree twist to the left and right (straight up, toward the end). That was hurting my knee. Everything else, even the 180 twists into squats, were fine, no knee pain. Harv, how did you feel when you did the Guitar/Rock Star one? Haha.
by the time i got to that part, i could barely even jump. my legs are embarrasingly small. I bench 315 and struggle to squat 205 one time.

Old
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Obviously when I get to rock star hops I give it 400%.

Old
02-22-2010, 02:16 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

PS im in the recovery week portion right now. But instead of doing yoga and ******** like that twice a week, im keeping the same MWF routine and doing core synergistics Tuesday and Thursday... and okay, I guess ill do yoga on saturday. *******s.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
PS im in the recovery week portion right now. But instead of doing yoga and ******** like that twice a week, im keeping the same MWF routine and doing core synergistics Tuesday and Thursday... and okay, I guess ill do yoga on saturday. *******s.
I'm doing Yoga tonight. After 4 hours of sleep last night and working an hour 15 overtime (leaving NOW). Fun fun.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:18 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

"It's time for the world famous....Karen...potstirrers."

Who the **** is Karen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Next time you buy, try "All the Whey" protein. It's like $10 cheaper and IMO it tastes better than ON. I like the chocolate and the cake batter is unreal. I love the stuff. Give it a try for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Where do you get it from? Amazon is the only place I checked, but on there it's $43 + $4.50 shipping for a 5 lb tub. So that'd be 6 or 7 bucks more than the ON. Are the serving sizes smaller? Do you know how many servings in a 5 lb?

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Cannonation

Well I figured I'd put my two cents in. First a bit of background, im 5'9" sitting just under 150, muscle mass is a bit lacking, but I don't really worry about it to much. I go for the lean look since I'm a serious runner. Best thing to do is have a fairly good balance between protein and complex carbs. The protein of course will help you build the muscle, but if your intake is to high, it will be converted to fat stores, so avoid an excessive amount. Someone said they were having 200g in a day, that's excess. I'd stay in the 100-150 range unless you're trying to become a professional lifter, which I doubt anyone is.
As you start to build up the muscle though, your body will become easily fatigued because you'll be expending more energy due to the added muscle mass, so that's why the complex carbs (grains, pastas, etc) are important. They'll provide sustainable energy. Avoid saturated fats, cholesterol (HDL is fine), and sodium. Mono and polyunsaturated fats are fine in moderation (fish and nuts are a good source).

Cannonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

Where do you get it from? Amazon is the only place I checked, but on there it's $43 + $4.50 shipping for a 5 lb tub. So that'd be 6 or 7 bucks more than the ON. Are the serving sizes smaller? Do you know how many servings in a 5 lb?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/allthewhey/wheyprotein.html

$35 for a 5 pound tub. 80 servings compared to the 74 servings with ON. If you are interested I can give you a promo code that gets 10% off your order which takes it to $31.50 plus shipping. I forget what the exact shipping price is but the total would be roughly $37 shipped. Super fast shipping too. If you order it Monday Before 3-4pm and it will be at your door Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 02-23-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old
02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/allthewhey/wheyprotein.html

$35 for a 5 pound tub. 80 servings compared to the 74 servings with ON. If you are interested I can give you a promo code that gets 10% off your order which takes it to $31.50 plus shipping. I forget what the exact shipping price is but the total would be roughly $37 shipped. Super fast shipping too. If you order it Monday Before 3-4pm and it will be at your door Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll trade you a router for a tub of protein?!

Old
02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'll trade you a router for a tub of protein?!
Lol, ****ing deal! I still haven't figured out what the hell to get for thatsituation. Computers are like squats and leg presses, I can't stand them but I get used to them because I know I need them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

dude, **** squats!

Old
02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

PS P90 people, Core synergistics is one of the best P90 dvds if you really push yourself on it. Great for abs.

Old
02-23-2010, 02:54 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Lol, ****ing deal! I still haven't figured out what the hell to get for thatsituation. Computers are like squats and leg presses, I can't stand them but I get used to them because I know I need them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I literally have a netgear router sitting in my bedroom doing nothing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+...=1108125361676

Although u'd only be saving urself 15 bucks trading with me....lol

Old
02-23-2010, 05:56 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Is there a 30 minute workout available for P90X? There is no chance I am going to be able to much tonight as I'm exhausted from work, and staying later at the station. But I'd like to get something in. Any recommendations? Is there one good one that maybe I can do half of? Mind you I'm still going to continue with today's workout...only tomorrow.

Old
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

You could just do half of plyo or something, or try cardio X... I havent ever done that one, so I cant tell you if its any good.

Old
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
JSTAFF

ab ripper x is pretty silly.

Old
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Silly as in its too easy for you? You dont think the moves work well? Or that the moves themselves are just goofy?