Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Thank you Ilya

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2010, 12:05 AM
FrenchKheldar

vCash: 500
Thanks for everything Ilya, it was quite the thrill ride since I arrived in Atlanta in 2002 and you made watching hockey so enjoyable albeit emotional ! Good luck with the Devils, I'll be sure to cheer for you come April...

Old
02-05-2010, 12:25 AM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Ilya Kovalchuk is the reason most of my friends are Thrashers fans. As kids, we would play street hockey for hours and hours (but, it's the South! NO HOCKEY!). Whenever someone would score, we would always joke about being Jagr, or whatever. But when Kovalchuk was drafted, everyone wanted to be Ilya.

I have far too many memories of Kovy to name, and it's a little surreal that he won't be playing on Saturday. He's not going to come back from injury, or show back up in the warmups, or even joke with fans at practice. No, he wasn't a complete player, but he was a better player than this franchise will ever see again. Good luck Kovy, and may the nostalgia bug bite you so you come back home on July 1.

Go Thrashers.

Old
02-05-2010, 12:51 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

I'll make my own fan appreciation video like i did with Vick.

Old
02-05-2010, 12:58 AM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
I'll make my own fan appreciation video like i did with Vick.
Wow. Really? Vick?

Old
02-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Juzmo
Wakey Wakey, Backes!

vCash: 6969
One of the reasons I started to watch the NHL. Many good memories.

Thank you so much Ilya and good luck for the future (and if you can, come back).

Old
02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
sgt Hartman

Send a message via ICQ to sgt Hartman Send a message via MSN to sgt Hartman

Old
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
ThrashersInHamburg

I hope you`ll come back someday.
I`m from Germany, so following the NHL is not a normal thing at all, but Ilya made me get up at 1 o`clock in the middle of the night, and become an honest thrashers fan in the 5 years i`ve followed them!
Was a thrill everytime you got on the ice for us!
I`d love to see you back someday!
Thanks for the memories!

Old
02-05-2010, 11:43 AM
en_fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt Hartman View Post

I was barely in middle school when the Thrashers game to town. Even though I was younger and didn't have anyone to teach me the game, I still followed what I could on TV. It took me YEARS to convince my parents to actually take me to a game, and the #1 game on this youtube against the Hurricanes was my first NHL game. We had seats on the ice, and I saw Kovy score that ridiculous goal up close and personal. We lost, but that goal was all it took to take me from casual fan to hockey addict.

Maybe at some point down the line the Thrashers will get their act together and Kovy will come back. In the mean time, I wish him luck, and I'll be rooting for him and the Devils this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
No offense, but if a superstar on the Sharks turned down an offer like the one that was reported for Kovalchuk, the player would be booed to no end here.
Well, unlike the Thrashers, the Sharks actually have a pretty stable, successful franchise, so I don't think you can really compare the two situations.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
Fine, fine memories of Kovy as a Thrasher. Though the last few months were tough as the question became larger and larger, there are far too many good memories... even if the team didn't do well. Nothing wrong with moving on (at least for now... wink wink).

Thank you Ilya for the electrifying goals, goals, goals, and tons of them...with some killer hattricks, boston, ottawa back-to-back, the 4 goal game against TB, the comeback games earlier this season..................basically shouldering the load of the Thrashers from 2003-4 and some seasons onward, bearing the burden of many not so well built teams and bringing excitement to the fans. Playing on a busted knee for games a few sesaons ago and even scoring a goal against NJ @ the Rock when you clearly had a messed up knee...., and scoring the shootout goal to help win the game.... Fighting McCabe, and that puke Matt Cooke, the Crosby point, edmonton breakaway goal.......the illegal curves with Hartley barking at the trainig staff to run down the tunnel to hide the sticks...

I'll remember the 5 point night against Carolina last season, even the disasterous playoff games @ MSG which I was able to attend (both of them). So many memories.. the team fed through the energy when on his game.

Maybe you'll be back as a Thrasher, but if not - thank you!

For the time being, I'll have to wear my Thrashers Kovalchuk 3rd jersey to the NJ games this season, if I get to catch many.

Good luck, and perhaps come back and help Atlanta franchise build up to respectability..................... (please? )
well said!

and that was a blast at MSG, despite the outcome...remember the broom pictures??? LOL!

Old
02-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Wow. Really? Vick?
say what you will about his personal life but the man could win football games.

Old
02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
Wow. Really? Vick?
yes. Vick. Really.

The man was a star with a troubled life. He had so many problems like most football players whether it be being involved with drugs or gangs etc...

Old
02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Magnus Fulgur

I am so glad Ilya is gone and I hope he never wears a Thrashers jersey again. This team dodged a massive bullet by him being outrageous in his salary demands. Definitely a blessing in disguise.

Old
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Whaddagoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
well said!

and that was a blast at MSG, despite the outcome...remember the broom pictures??? LOL!
Hey Gamera, long time no see! How could i forget... hah

Despite the outcome, that was pretty memorable, Kovy going after avery, the "Wrong HOSSA!" and "******* chants"...nice jersey to use for the game, eh?

Hey, still have the Kovy Army t-shirt, maybe ill catch a Devils practice, not too far from where I live. - see if he reacts to that.

Old
02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
Hey Gamera, long time no see! How could i forget... hah

Despite the outcome, that was pretty memorable, Kovy going after avery, the "Wrong HOSSA!" and "******* chants"...nice jersey to use for the game, eh?

Hey, still have the Kovy Army t-shirt, maybe ill catch a Devils practice, not too far from where I live. - see if he reacts to that.
Unfortunately practices aren't open to the public like they used to be when the team practiced at SMA.

Old
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Old
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Jerdn

Quote:
Ilya Kovalchuk is the reason most of my friends are Thrashers fans. As kids, we would play street hockey for hours and hours (but, it's the South! NO HOCKEY!).
I love street hockey, play it every weekend with my friends on an outside basketball court. (we also have this place where we sneak into my old elementary's school underground parking lot, and open it up. its actually not bad the cops came once and wesaid it was open and they just told us to leave, then also it has lots of room) and we play for hours also. Its fun as hell, we make up victory dances and hit each other and have (fake and real ) fights

Closed Thread