HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Locker boxing!

Old
02-24-2010, 05:55 PM
canuck44

vCash: 500
Locker boxing!

It's been in the news here in Toronto for the last week or so and parents are crying out about how frequently it happens. And leagues are starting to crack down on it. Your thoughts?

I personally don't see a reason for leagues to step in. Yeah I get that kids can get hurt doing it, but honestly how many actually do get hurt? I locker boxed a few times and I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything. And quite frankly I think it's just a part of hockey and the fun you have with your team growing up.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
IniNew

Gloves and a helmet, let 'em fight.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Webernaut

Great example of the pussification of kids.

Let kids be kids god dammit!

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:24 PM
densetsu

Never heard of it before. Googled around and watched some YouTube videos... looks pretty idiotic.

On the ice -- and maybe even in the locker room -- there could be legal repercussions. I'm not a lawyer, I don't know, but in this day and age people look for any excuse to sue someone else. Off ice, though, let the kids do whatever they want to do. The league shouldn't be able to dictate what goes on outside of the rink. Parents, yes, but not the league.

Yes, I think the whole locker boxing concept is stupid. My brother and I went through minor hockey in Alberta and neither of us have heard of it. But no, I don't think the league should get involved as long as it's outside the rink.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Spillblood Maloney

its stupid...its like little girls slap fighting. some of the kids ive seen do it..thats the most aggression they show all year. they'd never think of hitting an opponent like that.

Spillblood Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Well, never heard of it before, but looking at YT videos it looks like, well, boxing. I'm not a fan of boxing personally, but if that's your thing go for it. They're wearing gloves, and it at least some videos, helmets, which are more then real boxers wear.

If leagues want to ban it that would be fine with me. If you want to box, sign up for boxing lessons. If a hockey league wants to make sure guys aren't getting injured for non hockey injuries they might be liable for, that's their right.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:07 PM
AIREAYE

A couple of idiots on my team went at it without any protection...one retard almost broke the other's spine and he talks alotta s*** too, thinks hes all gangster and whatnot

Ive heard of our school hockey team holding one, where one of our huge d-men knocked out the backup goalie with one punch

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:32 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
A couple of idiots on my team went at it without any protection...one retard almost broke the other's spine and he talks alotta s*** too, thinks hes all gangster and whatnot

Ive heard of our school hockey team holding one, where one of our huge d-men knocked out the backup goalie with one punch
What do you mean without any protection? As in with gloves but no helmet? That's just asking for trouble.

Goalies are only really dangerous when they have a blocker or their sticks. Otherwise, come on don't pick on them

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:38 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
If you want to box, sign up for boxing lessons.
Exactly. The locker rooms aren't the place for that. In HS we would box in someone's backyard or garage and the point wasn't to injure the other guy, just settle differences or for sport.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:02 AM
noobman

We did stupid things in the locker room as kids, from emptying several bottles of Axe to things involving fire and/or circles (LOL no), but we've never fought for the fun of it.

Most of our playfighting was done in the basement.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
CanadaBacon

It was fun in Bantam......after that it wasnt really that fun anymore.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Gino 14

The reason the leagues are probably cracking down on it is because if they were to knowingly let it go on, they could in some way be held responsible for someone getting injured. Everybody is sue happy and looking for their next fall guy and the cash associated with it.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Hockeyfan68

I can see why leagues would not like it, players being out because of concussions or something. I had not heard of this before and also YTed it, looks like fun to me.

Maybe I say that because I would be good at it but this stuff should be done at home in someone's garage or something and not actually at the rink. THAT to me makes it stupid if one were to call it stupid.

I thought people went to the rink to play hockey.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Helmets and gloves. As 13 year olds, we did it all the time or at least until one of the coaches yelled at us to knock it off.

Its something the coaches can (and should) handle.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
We did stupid things in the locker room as kids, from emptying several bottles of Axe to things involving fire and/or circles (LOL no), but we've never fought for the fun of it.

Most of our playfighting was done in the basement.
lol I did this in HS, and accidentally set somebodies locker on fire, he was freaking out because of the black smoke that was pluming out from the locker vents. couldn't open the lock because it was getting hot and when he finally got it open his dress shirt was very much aflame. I have pictures of the aftermath of that shirt somewhere. hilarity in the locker room and good times had by all but one(who got a brand new shirt later that week from me )

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
CaptBrannigan

I don't recall ever participating but most of the time from what I've seen it's not serious. Although our goalie got it good one time, was wearing a different player's helmet and cage that didn't fit correctly and ended up getting the wires slammed into the side of his chin. He was oozing some dark blood while the other guy turned ghost white over what he had done.

We laugh about it now but the dark ooze that came from his face was quite disturbing back then.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Everyone goes through a period where they do things like this. Whether it's locker boxing, or something else equally dumb and dangerous. The accidents are horrible but no worse than if they were doing another dumb, dangerous thing.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Crosbyfan

As a Coach, the last thing you want to see is kids getting goaded into something, or picked on, when they come to the rink to play hockey, especialy when they are in your care, or should be.

That can be worse than most of the injuries, though serious concussions can happen as well.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
What do you mean without any protection? As in with gloves but no helmet? That's just asking for trouble.

Goalies are only really dangerous when they have a blocker or their sticks. Otherwise, come on don't pick on them
Nothing, fists and the clothes on their backs

Old
02-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im surprised you guys havent heard of lockerboxing, i thought it was well known in the hockey world....

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Semin

When i was 12-15 the cage rages were fun. It went from a 1-1 to everyone for themselves. I miss those days.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
As a Coach, the last thing you want to see is kids getting goaded into something, or picked on, when they come to the rink to play hockey, especialy when they are in your care, or should be.

That can be worse than most of the injuries, though serious concussions can happen as well.
Rampant on our team unfortunately

Old
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Rampant on our team unfortunately
In house? really? thats just retarded (its retarded at any level, but come on, house?)

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:14 AM
10 ft. pole

Kids are such pansys these days. I say let them box. TAke away the video games instead.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:23 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
Great example of the pussification of kids.

Let kids be kids god dammit!
Haha, so true. I remember playing helmets and gloves in the dressing room... I got a good beating once, but serves me right for taking on the biggest guy on the team and I was playing up a level

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote