HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

whos the first to go?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 02:25 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
whos the first to go?

well as we all know the oil have entirely too many forwards (well too many good wingers anyhow.... they dont have enough good centres IMO)..... so who is the first to leave town?

i think it will be moreau.... he makes around 1.6mill and is really a "role-player", a role that i think torres could play quite well (if torres is up to it).... even if torres doesnt stick with the team, then you have rita who could make the team as a 3rd line winger as well..... and even if neither of those two make it, smyth will get moved back to 1st line LW when/if comrie comes back and if not he might get moved back to 1st line LW to make way for another centre coming back to the oilers in a comrie trade, or he might get moved because smyth might just suck as a centreman.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:38 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
well as we all know the oil have entirely too many forwards (well too many good wingers anyhow.... they dont have enough good centres IMO)..... so who is the first to leave town?

i think it will be moreau.... he makes around 1.6mill and is really a "role-player", a role that i think torres could play quite well (if torres is up to it).... even if torres doesnt stick with the team, then you have rita who could make the team as a 3rd line winger as well..... and even if neither of those two make it, smyth will get moved back to 1st line LW when/if comrie comes back and if not he might get moved back to 1st line LW to make way for another centre coming back to the oilers in a comrie trade, or he might get moved because smyth might just suck as a centreman.
Moreau is also the Oilers best penalty killer, and is one of about 3 players who I would trust implicitly on the ice in the last minute of the game with a lead.

Yes he makes a lot for what he does... but he is the best Oiler at what he does, and shouldn't be discarded so readily.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Cerebral

I agree.. Torres might turn into an upgrade over Moreau but at this point he certainly isn't. A lot of people have extremely high expectations for Torres/Rita/Stoll this season and I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be disappointed. I definitely think Rita and Torres should get ice time this season but Moreau is without a doubt one of our best pk'ers/defensive forwards.. I think Lowe will hold on to him until the rookies prove they're capable of performing in a much different atmosphere, the NHL.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:14 PM
jadeddog

yeah i agree with both of you.... i would LOVE to keep moreau, hes actually one of my favorite players, but i think finances will dictate otherwise though and he will be gone, i hope not, but thats who i think will get moved first

Old
09-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Obsessed

On a team that is thin on veterans it would be a mistake to let Moreau go. A few bad penalties here and there but you cant expect Torres to fill his shoes this year. The only rookie capable of even comparing is Stoll.

I hope that they come to there senses and release Rocky Thompson. Other than that it will probably be pretty quiet. Perhaps we might lose a player on the waiver wire. Although I dont think we have many worries in that dept.

My guess is Rita by trade.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
First to go is Comrie, his days in Edmonton are over.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
09-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
First to go is Comrie, his days in Edmonton are over.

Unbiased Canadian
luv your avatar, that spoony is hilarious. Did you ever see the one where he wanted to buy flowers over the phone and was getting the lady to write the attached note?

" I especially like the part where your sister joined in"

I just about died.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Oi'll say!

Moreau is the obvious choice at his salary on the third line, but if the young guns are blazing then maybe we'll see a top 6 forward go.

Comrie is a deer in the headlights if that's the case, the next two to four weeks are crucial for the future of this franchise.

Whether or not the Oil are winning, and how well Torres, Chimera, Rita, and maybe even Stoll are playing will decide the fates of Moreau and MC I think.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Whether or not the Oil are winning, and how well Torres, Chimera, Rita, and maybe even Stoll are playing will decide the fates of Moreau and MC I think.
I agree. Everyone is forgetting one simple fact: depth at the forward position is a nice luxury. We sure could have used a few more warm bodies last season when we had some six-odd guys down with various injuries.. the only problem with depth is that you sometimes stunt a young guys growth (read: Rita) in favor of a few more wins along the way. However, though I do love Torres and Rita, I'm still convinced it is in the Oilers best interest to ice the lineup each night that has the highest probability of winning the game. If that means sitting Rita or even sending him down to the minors, so be it. I'm hoping this won't be the situation though and that Rita and Torres will come out guns-a-blazing and force Lowe's hand!

Old
09-25-2003, 10:16 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think that Moreau is not only good for the teams current needs, but future as well. He will be a big leader in the room in another 3-4 years (if he's still around). He is good with the young kids, and he's our best defensive forward. I've went into this already though so I'll stop it at that.

Closed Thread