HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Craig Patrick on Stan and Guy show

Old
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

vCash: 500
Craig Patrick on Stan and Guy show

Talking Olympics, Pen's and other stuff.

CP was asked about Herb Brooks and the 1980 team, of which CP was Asst. coach.

CP: "I was surprised at how much talent and skill there was during tryout camps. Herb filled his roster out not only with the best or skilled players, but he was looking for guys that were role players as well, and most importantly had great character off the ice. There were a lot of great players that did not make that team."

On whether Olympics are better with amateurs or professionals.

CP: "Back in '80 the Czechs and Russians were paid to play hockey, so they were professionals. No, I think the original intent of the Olympics are to have all the best athletes in the world meet. So I definitely feel that is what you should have."

If Canada loses, Sid will take a lot of heat and possibly have an albatross around his neck, will Sid suffer greatly from that if that happens?

CP: "No, I don't think. I know that there will be backlash if that happens, but Sid wouldn't let that get him down. He is so focused, so no, I don't think it would have any lasting effect on him."

Who will be in the Gold Medal Game? Who will win?

CP: "I think it will be Canada and the U.S. And it will come down to whether Ryan Miller can play that well again."

Who has the advantage, if that happens, is it with Luongo or Miller?

CP: "Miller has shown his consistency. You don't always get that with Luongo, who has had some bad games in "big games". I personally would go with Brodeur. But we will see what they do."

Are the Pen's still a Cup Contender? Did they suffer through a Cup hangover?

CP: "No I don't think they had a hangover. What they did have was a ton of injuries. If they get healthy, absolutely they are Cup contenders."

After he left Stan and Guy talked a bit about CP being bitter about being fired from the Pen's. They feel that bitterness has dissipated over the years. And that during there first Cup run, Ray Shero invited CP to travel with the team, wanted him to be involved, but CP declined.

Also Stan and Guy read an email about Roenicks flip flopping on consecutive days, about who is the best player in the world opinion. First it was Sid then talking to someone else it was Ovechkin. The emailer did not care who he picked, he said you can make argument for both, but the flip flopping bothered him.

Stan and Guy both laughed. Guy "I didn't hear that, but it doesn't surprise me."

They talked about Barry Melrose last year, picking both the Pen's to beat the Flyers, depending who he was talking to, and also picking the Flyers to beat the Pen's, talking to others. They laughed and said he did the same thing for the Pen's/Cap's series.

From their tone and context they made it sound that many in the media do that, but that they better watch out, because in this tech. day and age, you can get caught much easier.

EDIT: They also felt that Keith Jones was another media guy that "talks out of both sides of his mouth."

Last edited by td_ice: 02-25-2010 at 11:24 AM.
td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
wej20

thanks for the info td_ice .

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
thanks for the info td_ice
You bet wej.

It was good to hear from CP. And also to hear Stan and Guy toss some of their media brethren under the bus when deserved.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
regard

I havnt really heard about this Roenick thing before now but I was just saying that this morning.
Can someone confirm what I was thinking?
I thought when talking to Milbury, during the US/Can game maybe?? he said that if given the choice of who to build a franchise around, Crosby or Ovetchin he would take Sid because hes better all around.
But it sounded like he said the complete opposite to Ovetchin during that interview they showed last night.
Anyone else hear both of those statements?

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
I havnt really heard about this Roenick thing before now but I was just saying that this morning.
I thought when talking to Milbury, during the US/Can game maybe?? he said that if given the choice of who to build a franchise around, Crosby or Ovetchin he would take Sid because hes better all around.
But it sounded like he said the complete opposite to Ovetchin during that interview they showed last night.
I didn't hear him say he'd rather build around Crosby, ever. As far as I know, he ****ing hates Sid for some delusional reason. He's always taking a shot at Sid, most recently (as I can recall) was on Sunday when he made it a point to call Crosby a whiner, cry baby and that Kesler was going to own him because Sid hates being played physical and it gets him off his game and makes him pout. /runonsentence

J.R. is a ****ing idiot, but so are 75% of the people involved in "bringing the game to the masses" through commentary and play by play.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
EDIT: They also felt that Keith Jones was another media guy that "talks out of both sides of his mouth."
Steve Sabol was doing an NFL films piece on Madden about 10 years ago and was traveling with him on the way to the SB in the Madden Cruiser...

He said they stopped about an hour away at this local diner. A Broncos fan on the way to the game came over to their table and asked Madden who he thought would win and John said the Broncos, so the guy smiled and shook his hand.

Later on they met a Packer fan and he asked who John thought would win... and he said the Packers. So the guy smiled and shook his hand.

After the fan left Steve gave Madden a funny look... and Madden said that he had no idea who was going to win, so why not just make the fans feel better when he talks to them?

Kind of funny, but makes sense in a way...

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Steve Sabol was doing an NFL films piece on Madden about 10 years ago and was traveling with him on the way to the SB in the Madden Cruiser...

He said they stopped about an hour away at this local diner. A Broncos fan on the way to the game came over to their table and asked Madden who he thought would win and John said the Broncos, so the guy smiled and shook his hand.

Later on they met a Packer fan and he asked who John thought would win... and he said the Packers. So the guy smiled and shook his hand.

After the fan left Steve gave Madden a funny look... and Madden said that he had no idea who was going to win, so why not just make the fans feel better when he talks to them?

Eh, you can't really compare the two. John Madden is/was a stand up guy who never really said anything bad about anyone. J.R., Keith Jones, Milbury, etc. are all complete idiots and *******s to boot. They're in it because they don't want to let go of their time in the spot light. Madden was in it because he loved the game, and loved sharing it with people.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
I didn't hear him say he'd rather build around Crosby, ever. As far as I know, he ****ing hates Sid for some delusional reason. He's always taking a shot at Sid, most recently (as I can recall) was on Sunday when he made it a point to call Crosby a whiner, cry baby and that Kesler was going to own him because Sid hates being played physical and it gets him off his game and makes him pout. /runonsentence

J.R. is a ****ing idiot, but so are 75% of the people involved in "bringing the game to the masses" through commentary and play by play.
Okay thanks maybe I heard him wrong or Im remembering it wrong. Thats why I asked.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Okay thanks maybe I heard him wrong or Im remembering it wrong. Thats why I asked.
Yeah, actually, I remember him saying he would not even consider building around anyone else because Ovechkin is so "passionate, physical, is a leader, plays at both ends of the ice and does the most important thing--score goals."

I remember now, because I actually laughed at my TV.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
regard

Quote:
Yeah, actually, I remember him saying he would not even consider building around anyone else because Ovechkin is so "passionate, physical, is a leader, plays at both ends of the ice and does the most important thing--score goals."

I remember now, because I actually laughed at my TV.
LOL Ok then I must have remembered that conversation backwards. Maybe it was Milbury who took the Crosby side of the debate.
Ive been filtering alot of them out when I can.

Old
02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Man what I wouldn't do to have this show back on television. TV these days out right sucks. The History channel is now made up of reality shows, all the shows I enjoy have went down hill. The only shows I enjoy now are Breaking Bad and Archer.

Anyways I'm surprised that CP hasn't got another job yet. He couldn't be any worse then what some Canadian teams have at the GM position.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
I specifically remember JR saying he'd rather build around Crosby during the USA/Canada game because I was so shocked that less than a week before that he was basically ******** all over Crosby and Milbury kept saying, "who's won the cup? Isn't that the goal?"

So you are correct sir.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Eh, you can't really compare the two. John Madden is/was a stand up guy who never really said anything bad about anyone. J.R., Keith Jones, Milbury, etc. are all complete idiots and *******s to boot. They're in it because they don't want to let go of their time in the spot light. Madden was in it because he loved the game, and loved sharing it with people.
I think they are idiots as well... just TDs post made me remember that story about Madden and how he flip-flopped on his favorites... nothing more, nothing less.

Old
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockEllisExperience View Post
I specifically remember JR saying he'd rather build around Crosby during the USA/Canada game because I was so shocked that less than a week before that he was basically ******** all over Crosby and Milbury kept saying, "who's won the cup? Isn't that the goal?"

So you are correct sir.

Glad to see I didnt make a small fool out of myself. I was pretty sure thats what he had said.
So basically he has gone back and forth, then back again.
Neat.

I dont even paticularly care, but its interesting for a guy who just seems to have started this sort of thing to begin contradicting himself so blantantly.

Old
02-25-2010, 03:22 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
The only shows I enjoy now are Breaking Bad and Archer.
Haven't missed an episode yet. Much better than "Mad Men."

Do you know off the top of your head when the season premiere is? March or April?

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

it's amazing how NBC makes consistently terrible decisions on things like this. what was the thought process in putting those two guys on as the main analysts? "Hey, let's find the two biggest, most unlikable *******s nearby and have them awkwardly argue with each other during every intermission!"

fine, they already have milbury under contract and they think because the shtick works for don cherry, it can work for him. it doesn't, of course, but they're already paying him anyway. roenick i still can't figure out. i know when it comes to the olympics, my first association with him is from the team in nagano that not only failed miserably on the ice but humiliated the country by trashing their hotel afterwards.

NBC deserves to lose those millions of dollars on the olympics, as reported.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
it's amazing how NBC makes consistently terrible decisions on things like this. what was the thought process in putting those two guys on as the main analysts? "Hey, let's find the two biggest, most unlikable *******s nearby and have them awkwardly argue with each other during every intermission!"

fine, they already have milbury under contract and they think because the shtick works for don cherry, it can work for him. it doesn't, of course, but they're already paying him anyway. roenick i still can't figure out. i know when it comes to the olympics, my first association with him is from the team in nagano that not only failed miserably on the ice but humiliated the country by trashing their hotel afterwards.

NBC deserves to lose those millions of dollars on the olympics, as reported.
How could a network savy enough to let Jay Leno do whatever he wants be so stupid?

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Cairbre

I've yet to watch an intermission segment. Judging by this thread, I don't anticipate watching one anytime soon.

Cairbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Burgs

Did CP say anything about his plans or where he's been for the last years? He pretty much disappeared after the Pens let him go.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Did CP say anything about his plans or where he's been for the last years? He pretty much disappeared after the Pens let him go.
No. They didn't ask him that, and he didn't volunteer any information as to his post Pen's activities.

They did say to CP in closing, "we will see you at Mellon arena during the playoffs." That was about it.

Old
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Yeah thats to bad. IMO he still has a quality hockey mind and when he talks you could still hear that he likes to compete. He needs to be back in hockey.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Burgs

Found something in a Sports Illustrated online article from the Pens' cup run in 2008:

Quote:
"Obviously, I'm not dead and I have no desire to be retired," said Patrick in a phone interview with SI.com on Thursday. "To be honest, I have (interviewed for other jobs). I'm not working right now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to."
I like that Mario invited him to watch the Cryers series with him, classy gesture on the big guy's part.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post

Yeah, Stan and Guy talked about that. They said that it was natural, to an extent, to tailor your talk to the people you are speaking to.

As I am typing this, I just heard Phil Esposito say that if he USA and Canada play in the Gold Medal game, he doesn't care who wins, he will be happy either way. So he realized that he lives in both worlds, and doesn't want to piss anyone off.

Old
02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yeah thats to bad. IMO he still has a quality hockey mind and when he talks you could still hear that he likes to compete. He needs to be back in hockey.
I'm honestly surprised he's not doing anything with the national team.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Yeah, Stan and Guy talked about that. They said that it was natural, to an extent, to tailor your talk to the people you are speaking to.

As I am typing this, I just heard Phil Esposito say that if he USA and Canada play in the Gold Medal game, he doesn't care who wins, he will be happy either way. So he realized that he lives in both worlds, and doesn't want to piss anyone off.
Well I'm in the same spot as Espo...

I love my country, but I'm married to a 'nuck and have spent the better part of the last 5 years between both countries.

I have a lot of family and friends up here now and it is truly a great country. I've spent countless hours playing on the outdoor rinks up here and it is pretty magical for anyone who grew up being as passionate about hockey as me... just everything about Canadian culture is so rooted in hockey...

I mean it's so hockey crazy that my brother in law who is loaded is thinking of building an outdoor rink behind his house for my nephew using Viking Ice... that's only going to cost him 20gs and all... but hey whatever because I'll be using it every time I visit so...

You just have to live in this culture to truly appreciate what it means to them. Now with Crosby being on team Canada, it really is making it hard for me to root agt. Canada or the US...