HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier could target Brad Boyes, open to trading Sergei?

Old
02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Therrien

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Gauthier could target Brad Boyes, open to trading Sergei?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN Insider info, by EJ Hradek
Montreal Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier is reportedly working on a handful of trades that would bring in young talent, not high-priced rentals, the Fourth Period reports.

They are rumored to be looking for a top-six forward and a defenseman, and they're willing to part with Sergei Kostitsyn, Matt D'Agostini and Ben Maxwell.

They could target the Panthers' Nathan Horton or the Blues' Brad Boyes -- both players who are rumored to be on the block -- but there are several options the Habs might take.

The Habs might also trade Jaroslav Halak at the deadline, even though Gauthier insists he's keeping both goalies. However, if Gauthier doesn't want to lose Halak for nothing, he'll have to work the phones and deal his stopper, who is on fire at the Olympics.
Not a good move if you ask me, especially if we give up Sergei, I think Gauthier would be crucified for that.

Thoughts anyone?

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

This is the part we see that this writer doesn't know jack **** of what he is talking about :

""However, if Gauthier doesn't want to lose Halak for nothing, he'll have to work the phones and deal his stopper, who is on fire at the Olympics.""

Earth to EJ, Halak is RFA, not a UFA.

Maybe he got mistaken with Plex.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Markovskaya

It's Doughty we should be after, not Boyles.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

i do not want boyes

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
The article is talking about Brad Boyes the RW attacker from the St. Louis Blues not Dan Boyle the defenseman from the San Jose Sharks. I used to get these two mixed up all the time as well. I'd like Horton, Boyes not so much.

Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Forsead

I would love to see some change at the deadline, but IMO Boyes is not exactly what we need.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:20 PM
SooperSingh

I'd rather go after Horton as well, but Boyes will come a lot cheaper than Horton. He's had an off year, but he's not the guy i'd be comfortable going into the playoffs with, regardless the "big body" argument some might make.

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Stradale

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-A. Kostitsyn

these are pretty much our top 6. I dont see where we could fit Boyes. Of course he will help our scoring but hes gonna play on the 3rd line at 4M$, its gonna be a waste of talent and money.

David Backes on the other hand is exactly what this teams needs but i really dont see why the Blues would trade him.

Mueller could be interesting aswell.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
This is the part we see that this writer doesn't know jack **** of what he is talking about :

""However, if Gauthier doesn't want to lose Halak for nothing, he'll have to work the phones and deal his stopper, who is on fire at the Olympics.""

Earth to EJ, Halak is RFA, not a UFA.
Could still lose him to an offer sheet. Wouldn't be for nothing though, but if a team with no starter offers him 5m Montreal doesn't match (unless Halak pulls a miracle in the playoffs), and that doesn't get the habs that much compensation (around the same amount the Ducks got for Penner?).

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzga lol View Post
Could still lose him to an offer sheet. Wouldn't be for nothing though, but if a team with no starter offers him 5m Montreal doesn't match (unless Halak pulls a miracle in the playoffs), and that doesn't get the habs that much compensation (around the same amount the Ducks got for Penner?).
Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally???????

wow

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Optimus Price

If we grab Horton or Boyes and their 4 millions caphit, we can kiss Plekanec goodbye.

I'd rather keep Sergei at this point who is picking up his game lately, or offer more to grab Perron out of St. Louis.

Optimus Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
It's Boyes, not Boyle.

And do you honestly think LA would even consider trading Doughty? Not a chance in hell...

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Not a good move if you ask me, especially if we give up Sergei, I think Gauthier would be crucified for that.

Thoughts anyone?

Considering that Gauthier gave up a 2nd round pick for Dominick Morre (guys like this are available every July 1st by the truck load - for nothing) - anything seems possible!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Stradale

Quote:
If a team is crazy enough to sign Halak at 5$, believe me, Habs will get a good compensation back.

Old
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Habsfanatical

Amount
Compensation Due

$863,156 or less
None

$863,156 - $1,307,812
3rd round pick

$1,307,812 - $2,615,625
2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,437
1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,437 - $5,231,249
1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,249 - $6,539,062
Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,062 or more
Four 1st round picks

Theres your comp chart.. 1 - 1st, 1 - 2nd and 1 - 3rd.. Done deal.. where do I sign?

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Erik Estrada

I like Horton. Boyes? Really depends how much we're giving up...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Forsead

Byfuglien, Ott, Bernier, Ladd, Berglund, Backes, Umberger, Hunter, Armstrong, Glencross, Moss, Fehr, Hartnell, Hanzal, Mueller

These players are more in the mold of what we need.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
If a team wants to sign Halak to an offersheet of 5M, I think most Habs fans will be ******* in their pants, that includes PG.

I think it would be a big mistake to trade Sergei without having given him a chance to play with his brother. Seriously, I'd be really disappointed. These two are made to play together and if Martin wasn't our coach I'm sure they would have started the season along side Plekanec and they'd have much better seasons.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally???????

wow
You're mocking him, yet you're the one in the wrong.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
NewHabsEra*

I dont know if there is any thruth in this but I remember Cammalleri and Boyes having some incredible chimestry togheter at the WJC years ago.. It has been a long time but you never know, it could be a nice risk to take.. S.Kost has incredible vision but tends to play too much cute and definitely lacks strength, I find he plays too much on the soft side and if you recall PG press conference correctly, he wants his guys to play a north south type of game, what isnt exactly S.Kost cup of coffey.. S.Kost is still pretty young, can improve his overall game but I think Boyes for S.Kost is something that makes alot of sense personally and I wouldnt be surprised if it happens cause I think we would be the clear winner of that deal short term.. Gauthier still believe in this team and wanna make the playoffs so..

What I want to add is that I think Sergei's value is at an interesting rate at this point, thats why I think thats a deal that could work..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 02-25-2010 at 05:05 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Horton would be good, I wouldn't mind Boyes. As others have stated it'll make it harder to fit Plekanec under the cap until we severely cut our defense payroll (something we should do).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Erik Estrada

If Sergei's not in the team's plans, they're better off to get something back. They'll likely get less skill in return but also less headaches.

The potential to be a trade that prima facie ends up looking very bad is compounded by the minimalist use made by JM of Sergei. I'm crossing my fingers...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iwishihadacup

The fail in this thread is trusting ESPN

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If a team wants to sign Halak to an offersheet of 5M, I think most Habs fans will be ******* in their pants, that includes PG.

I think it would be a big mistake to trade Sergei without having given him a chance to play with his brother. Seriously, I'd be really disappointed. These two are made to play together and if Martin wasn't our coach I'm sure they would have started the season along side Plekanec and they'd have much better seasons.

I completely agree. Having both brother in a team is a luxury. Espescially that almost everytime they were put on a same line or simply finding themselves on the ice on the same shift, they always provokes something offensively. I would be a major mistake if Sergei is traded without having the chance to play with his brother on the same line for a long period.

Sergei does not hurt our salarial cap, he's a great replacement if one of our top 6 is injured, he could be even better if he's paired with his brother. He is good offensively and defensively.. I wouldnt risk to trade him so soon.

Old
02-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
If there would be an offer sheet I think Halak = $2,615,623 - $3,923,437
1st and 3rd round pick

Somebody could try but I doubt it.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote