HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Willie Mitchell's season might be over

Old
02-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
By the way if Mitchell is out for the rest of the season then it does free up some cap space to work with at the deadline. Basically Bieksa gets off LTIR (3.75M) and Mitchell goes on LTIR (3.5M)
Basically swapping remaining LTIR exception space if Bieksa comes back - so there is not much to work with.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Why would he be suspended?
Wasn't it a pretty clear case of boarding (which now resulted in major injury)? That's what I remember anyway.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Horrible news if accurate that he'll be out for the season. My guess is that Gillis will actively pursue a d-man before the deadline and given that Hamhuis could be moved he'd be a good addition. Nashville apparently is seeking young forwards, Hansen/Grabner?

Pavel Kubina is another player that could be of interest. He won't come cheap though.
I've read that Nashville may be asking for a scoring forward PLUS a first round draft pick for Hamhuis.

I still believe Seidenberg might be the best option. I think we could realistically get him for a 2011 2nd round pick plus perhaps Hansen??

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Wasn't it a pretty clear case of boarding (which now resulted in major injury)? That's what I remember anyway.
It was boarding, but the injury.. well, Willie's got a history of concussions so we can't really say that the severity of this injury has a lot to do with the hit.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Payaso619*

If he's out for the rest of the season then there's no ****ing point of adding any other defenceman. I don't see us going farin the playoffs without Mitchell in the line-up, who are we going to rely on to shutdown teams' top forwards?

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Wow, losing Mitchell would be devastating. I can't imagine the Canucks will go through the deadline without adding another quality player on defence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Would likely mean we need to pick up a top-4 defender before the deadline, but it's not exactly like there's a lot out there.
I wonder how this affects MG's plans as it relates to trading for a 3rd/4th line centre.

Without knowing what assets are in play, and without knowing which teams are in the fold, this is more speculative than anything, but..

Gillis may need to allocate the assets he was intending to use towards a 3rd line centre towards a Mitchell replacement. Not to mention that the price for a top 4 dman will most definitely be more expensive than a bottom six forward.

And we've already seen what the market is for a 3rd line centre (2nd + roster player).

Mitchell going down might ultimately mean Wellwood stays, much to the chagrin of many Canucks fans.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Lunatik*

what exactly happened to Mitchell? I didn't even hear he was hurt

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
what exactly happened to Mitchell? I didn't even hear he was hurt
Malkin took a boarding penalty behind the Canucks net late in that laugher we won over Pittsburgh, he hit Willie head and shoulder first into the glass from a few feet out from the boards.

Willie hasn't played since.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It was a pretty mild boarding and attracted a minor penalty IIRC.

Mitchell was in an awkward position - it happens. Just because there is an injury is not the sole prerequisite for supplementary discipline - particularly on a run of the mill play.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
rye&ginger

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Basically swapping remaining LTIR exception space if Bieksa comes back - so there is not much to work with.
Assuming that Mitchell is done for the rest of the season the Canucks will have a little bit of cap space for sure to work with.

Our daily cap hit including Mitchell and Bieksa is $300,777 but that's with a 24 man roster. The maximum allowed per day is $294,300. With Mitchell ($18,135) on LTIR we're under the cap AND we've got up to $12,435 of cap space per day to use.

Not only that but we'll need to clear a roster spot in order to add someone at the deadline so let's assume we send Lukowich ($8,117) down to the minors and go with 14F, 7D and 2G.

That gives us $20,552 of daily cap space to use on a player which in other words means we can add a $3.966M player at the deadline.

We'll likely want to keep a little bit of space in case of injuries so it's pretty safe to say that we'll be able to add around a 3 million dollar player (per year cap hit) at the deadline assuming Mitchell is done for the season.

I might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Old
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Solidius

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:53 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognism View Post
I wonder how this affects MG's plans as it relates to trading for a 3rd/4th line centre.

Without knowing what assets are in play, and without knowing which teams are in the fold, this is more speculative than anything, but..

Gillis may need to allocate the assets he was intending to use towards a 3rd line centre towards a Mitchell replacement. Not to mention that the price for a top 4 dman will most definitely be more expensive than a bottom six forward.

And we've already seen what the market is for a 3rd line centre (2nd + roster player).

Mitchell going down might ultimately mean Wellwood stays, much to the chagrin of many Canucks fans.
Ugh... Wellwood just keeps dodging the bullet.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
It was boarding, but the injury.. well, Willie's got a history of concussions so we can't really say that the severity of this injury has a lot to do with the hit.
Quote:
Malkin took a boarding penalty behind the Canucks net late in that laugher we won over Pittsburgh, he hit Willie head and shoulder first into the glass from a few feet out from the boards.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. If Brian Marchment took out a guy at the knee who had a history of knee problems, would it mean there should be less punishment?

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
finn

For those debating Nonis v Gillis: Gillis just got handed the same flaming sack of $h!T that Nonis did. We will see who is the better Gm now...

or,

...we won't and the debate will continue.

finn

finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Scurr

I can't believe you guys like Willie so much. I'm sorry to hear that he's injured, but I can do without ever watching him play hockey again. Watching him choke up a foot on his stick to take a pass makes me wanna puke. I hope he has a full recovery and signs a nice long contract with another team.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
For those debating Nonis v Gillis: Gillis just got handed the same flaming sack of $h!T that Nonis did. We will see who is the better Gm now...

or,

...we won't and the debate will continue.

finn
Gillis already won this battle. He had way more NHL calibre defenseman available and won't spaz at the deadline and start trading 2nd's for bums.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Assuming that Mitchell is done for the rest of the season the Canucks will have a little bit of cap space for sure to work with.

Our daily cap hit including Mitchell and Bieksa is $300,777 but that's with a 24 man roster. The maximum allowed per day is $294,300. With Mitchell ($18,135) on LTIR we're under the cap AND we've got up to $12,435 of cap space per day to use.

Not only that but we'll need to clear a roster spot in order to add someone at the deadline so let's assume we send Lukowich ($8,117) down to the minors and go with 14F, 7D and 2G.

That gives us $20,552 of daily cap space to use on a player which in other words means we can add a $3.966M player at the deadline.

We'll likely want to keep a little bit of space in case of injuries so it's pretty safe to say that we'll be able to add around a 3 million dollar player (per year cap hit) at the deadline assuming Mitchell is done for the season.

I might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Nope, you're spot on.

The only issue I can see is if the team can't definitively determine whether or not Mitchell is done for the season before the trade deadline. Concussions can be hard to predict, so I'm not sure the team will make a big move that would put them in a situation where they'd be unable to bring Mitchell back when/if he's healthy.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Bucky Katt

If Mitchell is out for the regular season and Salo plays the remaining 21 games, the number of regular season games missed for those two since Mitchell arrived four years ago will be:

Salo 68
Mitchell 64

Just saying.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

thats unfortunate, Mitchell is one of the guys I have alot of respect for on your team... I hope he makes a full recovery

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
If Mitchell is out for the regular season and Salo plays the remaining 21 games, the number of regular season games missed for those two since Mitchell arrived four years ago will be:

Salo 68
Mitchell 64

Just saying.
That's assuming that Salo plays the final 21 games of the season AND Mitchell misses the final 21 games of the season.

For all we know it could be Salo who's out the final 21 games of the season and Mitchell who's back after 6 more games or so...

Old
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post

Salo 68
Mitchell 64

Just saying.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. For all the hell Salo gets for being made of glass, Mitchell has missed a lot of time over his career (10+ games in 6 of his 8 NHL seasons).

It sucks when your two defensemen with NTCs can't be counted on for a full season.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Bucky Katt

Quote:
That's assuming that Salo plays the final 21 games of the season AND Mitchell misses the final 21 games of the season.

For all we know it could be Salo who's out the final 21 games of the season and Mitchell who's back after 6 more games or so...
I know, and I made that clear. But since the report is that Mitchell's season may be over and that Salo is currently healthy and playing, it isn't an outlandish assumption. But I wouldn't be surprised if Salo gets hurt during the Olympics. Again.

Bucky Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
sounds similar to what pierre-marc bouchard has been going through this season and he hasn't played a game...every time he makes progress there's a setback

frustrating as hell but i would be shocked if mitchell plays again this year

with this being a contract year there is a chance mitchell has already played his last game as a canuck

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
sticknrink

Look on the bright side, I don't think Mitchell really had any more play left in him after this year. He's slowing down and the game is speeding up.

Obviously, with Louie going all the way on TC and some big holes in the lineup, this isn't one of those years you expect the team to go far in the playoffs.

Gillis' goal this summer is to overhaul the defense. Everybody should be gone save for Ehrhoff, Edler and maybe SOB.

At least there's some promise in the pipeline, Connauton is probably ready for the AHL next year, and if he has a strong camp probably the NHL.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote