HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

what makes some skates more expensive?

Old
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
kirsi

vCash: 500
what makes some skates more expensive?

i've been skating now for a few weeks, and have been wondering what the differences are in skates that makes some $55 and some ten times that much? Only thing I have really heard about is the weight. Anything else? Also what exactly is different with "pro stock" skates?

Thanks

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Skates are the one piece of hockey equipment really worth blowing big money on, here's why. 1) Stiffness. Top end skates tend to be substantially stiffer, e.g. not much lateral flex, which robs you of energy transfer. This usually means they last quite a bit longer too. 2) More protective boot. Block a heavy slapper in a one35 and a one95. The saved medical bills alone will pay for the difference. 3) Weight. This one is self-explanatory. 4) Misc components like the liner, so the skate will dry out faster and potentially make it feasible to skate barefoot. Most better skates also feature better tongues, better for comfort, blocking shots and weight. 5) Better steel and holders. Lighter is better in this category, most of the time, and higher end skates mostly feature innovations and/or substantial weight reduction in either of these departments. 6) The ability to customize (not with all high end skates). I hope that helped.

Last edited by BadHammy*: 02-24-2010 at 10:48 PM.
BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
canuck44

Just FYI, I don't care which skate you're wearing. You don't want to take shots off your skate. And if you do during the middle of a game, do not undo your skate unless you don't plan on playing the rest of the game.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
i've been skating now for a few weeks, and have been wondering what the differences are in skates that makes some $55 and some ten times that much?
Excessive advertising $$$ and overpaying hockey stars to appear in their ads.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:31 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Just FYI, I don't care which skate you're wearing. You don't want to take shots off your skate. And if you do during the middle of a game, do not undo your skate unless you don't plan on playing the rest of the game.
The vapor 40 and one95 make it relatively painless, but I never try to block it off my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Excessive advertising $$$ and overpaying hockey stars to appear in their ads.
Very true too.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:44 AM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The vapor 40 and one95 make it relatively painless, but I never try to block it off my foot!
I'm not sure where my Supra 735's sit in terms of protection. But after fracturing both ankles (in different situations) and having surgery on one, I try not to block shots with my feet anymore. When I was playing competitive hockey, as a Dman I hated anyone who's lift their foot up to avoid taking one there. But now I do it myself once in a while

Old
02-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I'm not sure where my Supra 735's sit in terms of protection. But after fracturing both ankles (in different situations) and having surgery on one, I try not to block shots with my feet anymore. When I was playing competitive hockey, as a Dman I hated anyone who's lift their foot up to avoid taking one there. But now I do it myself once in a while
It is called Flamingo shot blocking Just remember to lift the correct foot!

Old
02-25-2010, 02:30 AM
canuck44

Quote:
It is called Flamingo shot blocking Just remember to lift the correct foot!
You were one of those d-bags weren't you!

Old
02-25-2010, 02:41 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
You were one of those d-bags weren't you!
I blocked shots when I was young .... nowadays after 40 years old I Flamingo. It depends on the shot .... I'm all set with losing teeth or getting a broken jaw from a slapper or something.

I've already lost my front teeth and have a split eyebrow scar from blocking shots years ago. I'm all set with that. Sorry goalie .... go fish lol.

Old
02-25-2010, 02:44 AM
canuck44

Quote:
I blocked shots when I was young .... nowadays after 40 years old I Flamingo. It depends on the shot .... I'm all set with losing teeth or getting a broken jaw from a slapper or something.

I've already lost my front teeth and have a split eyebrow scar from blocking shots years ago. I'm all set with that. Sorry goalie .... go fish lol.
I was always one of those players who weren't scared to block shots and I probably blocked the most shots every season. I still have that sense of almost recklessness where I feel like I need to block shots. Just a while ago I completely forgot about the fact that I only wear a visor now and went down to block a point shot. Good thing I blocked it properly with my shin pads. I don't think I want to do that again

Old
02-25-2010, 02:55 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
i've been skating now for a few weeks, and have been wondering what the differences are in skates that makes some $55 and some ten times that much? Only thing I have really heard about is the weight. Anything else? Also what exactly is different with "pro stock" skates?

Thanks
Marketing and the supply and demand for marginal improvements. I bought top end (600$ +) skates for 130$ so the material cost for skates can't really be that great.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:07 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:

Thanks
Materials are the main difference. Higher end skates will be made out of composite or surlyn with a metal mesh type of outer, which are heat moldable to your foot. The liner is going to be hydrophobic, like clarino or something of the sort, to absorb as little water as possible rather than felt. Also, the tongue will usually have some sort of composite metatarsal guard in the tongue for protection from shots and lace bite instead of felt. The steel will be stainless rather than carbon, which seems to hold an edge a little longer. Basically, the skate is going to be more protective yet lighter.

In terms of performance, a 55 dollar skate and 550 dollar skate are going to be way different. Once you get to about the 200 dollar range however, there really isnt a big difference in performance.

Pro stock skates are much different than retail skates, even their retail counterpart like an x60, one95, 9k, etc. Pro stock skates are double stitched and come with reinforced eyelets, which makes a huge difference in durability of the skate if you are on them a lot. Aside from that, they can be customized in anyway a pro wants. Different holders, different outsole, liner, tongue, stiffness, sizing (1/4 and even 1/8th sizes), different sizes for each foot, different heel as well as forefoot width, basically everything.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
kirsi

Thanks for all the responses. very interesting and good to know!

Now I just have to get to skating well enough to play hockey

Old
02-25-2010, 09:53 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Marketing and the supply and demand for marginal improvements. I bought top end (600$ +) skates for 130$ so the material cost for skates can't really be that great.
That's not about the cost of the skate, when they get that low it means the store is just trying to get rid of them so they can get new inventory in.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:08 PM
pnewsom

Is there anything about a high end skate, such as stiffness, etc., that makes it harder to learn to skate?

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:18 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
Is there anything about a high end skate, such as stiffness, etc., that makes it harder to learn to skate?
High end skates can hurt your skating if your abilities are not at the level the skate was intended for.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cleveland got it right on IMO.

As I said elsewhere, the $250-300 range is usually the best for the money. You usually get the same holder/steel, same construction, most of the features, and most of the stiffness of the top end boot, maybe a little heavier and with a different liner.

Expensive skates won't hurt your ability to learn to skate, but they aren't necessary. Higher mid-level skates will usually do just as good a job. The most important thing is to get skates that fit with no gaps or space, especially in the heel/ankle area, because any gap will cause wobble and rob your skating power, make you more prone to fall, and hurt your confidence.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
High end skates can hurt your skating if your abilities are not at the level the skate was intended for.
Not to mention, reallllly stiff skates can be damn uncomfortable.

The stiffness of a Vapor XXX vs the Vapor XIV was the deciding factor for me that led me to purchase the XIV's instead.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Also, forgot to add:

If you can get to a sale when they offer you the "previous years model skate" vs. the 2010 model, go for the previous year skate. You will usually save at least $70-100, and there is usually not much of a drastic difference in design/materials from year to year.

Old
02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
Not to mention, reallllly stiff skates can be damn uncomfortable.

The stiffness of a Vapor XXX vs the Vapor XIV was the deciding factor for me that led me to purchase the XIV's instead.

You chose XIV's over Vapor XXX skates? Oh my...

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimov View Post
You chose XIV's over Vapor XXX skates? Oh my...
I felt the boots were too damn stiff, and I only skate maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

That and ponying up an extra $150 of my hard earned cash for a pair of skates for a beer league did not make sense. They work fine though, couldn't be happier.

Old
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That's not about the cost of the skate, when they get that low it means the store is just trying to get rid of them so they can get new inventory in.
Are you suggesting that they're selling it at a loss of 100$+ just to get rid of 10-15 skates?

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not unprecedented...if they've already bought the skates, $200 is better than nothing for each pair.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:01 PM
kirsi

I have Bauer vapor x:05 skates, and i have a lot of pain around and above the outside of my ankle.. is that something to do with the skates, how i am skating, or them not being broken in? I've skated at least 15, maybe 20 hours, in them. Anyone have a solution to this?

Old
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Are you suggesting that they're selling it at a loss of 100$+ just to get rid of 10-15 skates?
Its also possible the shop did not pay full price for them either. Distributors or companies will blow out old gear to dealers to get rid of stuff and then the dealers pass it along.

I can tell you for sure, that in season new stuff, dealers are not getting $600 skates at a cost of less than $130. There is not that much markup on skates. Having worked lots of retail, I would guess that normal cost for a pair of $600 skates is probably close to $450 or more.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote