HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jamie Lundmark

Old
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Jamie Lundmark

"A first-rounder going into New York is obviously a lot of pressure," he said. "I was young, but also, our team was old. We had a lot of veteran, all-star players who needed to play minutes. Really, I don't think I learned a lot in the first couple years of my career, and I think that kind of set me back."

He should have made the team the one year he earned it out of preseason.

Oh well I doubt he "finds his game" in Toronto but ya never know, read the rest here.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=311495

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:17 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
From what i saw he played pretty well in calgary.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
not jamies fault when hes a 3rd liner drafted in the 1st round. same with manny

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
otto1219

i was going to post this article. One line really stood out to me.

"A first-rounder going into New York is obviously a lot of pressure," he said. "I was young, but also, our team was old. We had a lot of veteran, all-star players who needed to play minutes. Really, I don't think I learned a lot in the first couple years of my career, and I think that kind of set me back."

Is it just me or does he just sound really immature? He has been given so many opportunities to succeed in a variety of playing styles and teammates and has never been anything more than just average.

Instead he blames his minutes early in his career on his failure in New York? I understand he was bouncing around, but this is quite common in the NHL. Players are recalled for a day and don't play and then go back to the AHL, its part of growing experience. He was a bust, that simple. He is 29 and has played only 280 games. Marc Staal is 23 and has played in 224. That alone should say something about how coaches view him.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Well enough to get waived.

Both our drafting and development absolutely sucked in the first half of the previous decade and we're paying for it now.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:32 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post

Is it just me or does he just sound really immature? He has been given so many opportunities to succeed in a variety of playing styles and teammates and has never been anything more than just average.

Instead he blames his minutes early in his career on his failure in New York? I understand he was bouncing around, but this is quite common in the NHL. Players are recalled for a day and don't play and then go back to the AHL, its part of growing experience. He was a bust, that simple. He is 29 and has played only 280 games. Marc Staal is 23 and has played in 224. That alone should say something about how coaches view him.
How many players develop between the ages of 25-29? 17-24 such an important time period for growth in a hockey player. The Rangers
completely botched his development and by the time he was able to get out of here his the large majority development period was gone.

Old
02-25-2010, 08:34 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

Both our drafting and development absolutely sucked in the first half of the previous decade and we're paying for it now.
To be fair their GM is a sutter
The same guy who traded jokinen and prust for kotes/higgins.Who also traded away phaneuf basically because his brother had a hissy fit with him.

Just saying'

Old
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

He has a legitimate point.

The Rangers were a mess when he played here. There was a revolving door of horrible coaches (Trottier and Sather) and the locker room consisted of a bunch of past their prime vets and some young guys who were in over their heads.

I don't think he's placing all the blame on the Rangers for the way his career turned out, I think he's just saying that the position he was put in when he played for the Rangers wasn't ideal for his development.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
To be fair their GM is a sutter
The same guy who traded jokinen and prust for kotes/higgins.Who also traded away phaneuf basically because his brother had a hissy fit with him.

Just saying something that couldnt be more wrong'
Fixed it for ya. While I don't understand the Jokinen Trade, the Phaneuf trade had to happen. He's declined, and he's overpaid. Calgary needed to drop one of their heavier contracts. Everyone else has NTC's

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
I don't understand why the dropped him, he played great. If he gets top 6 minutes in Toronto, I can see him playing great beside Kessel. He tends to pick up his game when he gets the higher roles.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
How many players develop between the ages of 25-29? 17-24 such an important time period for growth in a hockey player. The Rangers
completely botched his development and by the time he was able to get out of here his the large majority development period was gone.
Quote:

Quote:

I'll give the easiest answer: it was a combo of all 3.

The Rangers scouting, drafting & development just before and during the 7-year itch was hideous.

Lundmark, like Malhotra, was dicked around a little at such a young age for sure.

But anyone who has seen Lundmark at the NHL level for any game knows for sure that, other than possibly passing, he has no discernable skill for a top line player...or for that matter a regular NHL'er. And since he has always viewed himself as a goal-scorer rather than passer, even that skill was lost by the wayside.

One thing I'll add: Lundmark was a pretty selfish player in his limited time as a Ranger also. Selfish as in an indifferent attitude towards playing defense in addition to trying to do too much with the puck.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
He has a legitimate point.

The Rangers were a mess when he played here. There was a revolving door of horrible coaches (Trottier and Sather) and the locker room consisted of a bunch of past their prime vets and some young guys who were in over their heads.

I don't think he's placing all the blame on the Rangers for the way his career turned out, I think he's just saying that the position he was put in when he played for the Rangers wasn't ideal for his development.
Which is what...that because the Rangers were a mess when he played here the team killed his enormous skills and stunted his development and as a result he busted out of the league 10 years later? People just hate to take responsibility for their own failures.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Jamie was always an immature player. Even so far as to be considered a brat at times.

He never "got it" while he was here. He was given time on the top lines and never did squat with the time.

He wasn't ruined here at all. He ruined himself by not applying himself correctly.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
I'll give the easiest answer: it was a combo of all 3.

The Rangers scouting, drafting & development just before and during the 7-year itch was hideous.

Lundmark, like Malhotra, was dicked around a little at such a young age for sure.

But anyone who has seen Lundmark at the NHL level for any game knows for sure that, other than possibly passing, he has no discernable skill for a top line player...or for that matter a regular NHL'er. And since he has always viewed himself as a goal-scorer rather than passer, even that skill was lost by the wayside.

One thing I'll add: Lundmark was a pretty selfish player in his limited time as a Ranger also. Selfish as in an indifferent attitude towards playing defense in addition to trying to do too much with the puck.
Of course. I'm not trying to say that Lundmark was a superstar in the making but the Rangers screwed him over. Ultimately, if Lundmark had what it took and was hungry enough he would have overcome it all. But at the same time it's not as if the Rangers handled it well and he simply didn't hold his end of the deal. The way the Rangers handled him was far from reasonable.

Old
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Which is what...that because the Rangers were a mess when he played here the team killed his enormous skills and stunted his development and as a result he busted out of the league 10 years later? People just hate to take responsibility for their own failures.
In hindsight, there's no denying that he was a bad draft pick, but when have we ever heard a busted draft pick say "it's my fault, I suck, I never should have been drafted that high and I'll always be a marginal NHLer at best"?

As others have been saying, the Rangers not only drafted poorly in the late '90's, but their development of prospects was bad as well. And being on a dysfunctional team certainly did not help the situation. I mean, Bobby Holik was telling the media "I believe, fundamentally, we are the worst team in the NHL." I'm sure that was great for the morale of the young players on that team.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:35 PM
94now

Two words : Knee Injury. Never came back from it while here. I think it was Mike Peca's submarine.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:44 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'll never foret the night I saw Lundmark walk out the Garden hurry past the Autograph seekers & get into a waiting limo that had from what I saw at least 4 smoking hot girls in it. Nice life, but hey that's NY baby.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
pld459666

Ahhh....Jamie Lundmark.

The player most scouts at the time of his draft were comparing him to Jeremy Roenick/Steve Yzerman.

He didn't pan out for several reasons, but considering the Rangers inability to develope a cold let alone a decent prospect, I kinda lean towards the Rangers not taking the proper time to allow this kid the time needed to get it.

He spent 3 seasons in NY, 2 of which he had no business in the pros (02-03 and 03-04) He as much as Manny were both rushed to the pros and it cost them both.

He could have been a different player had he been given the proper time and teaching to develope properly.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
Fixed it for ya. While I don't understand the Jokinen Trade, the Phaneuf trade had to happen. He's declined, and he's overpaid. Calgary needed to drop one of their heavier contracts. Everyone else has NTC's
I thought calgary was going to move Sarich?

Old
02-25-2010, 10:19 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

I remember how frustrating it was that the Rangers took so long to give him a shot. He may have had a lot of chances, but I can't really disagree with his quotes about his time here.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Ahhh....Jamie Lundmark.

The player most scouts at the time of his draft were comparing him to Jeremy Roenick/Steve Yzerman.

He didn't pan out for several reasons, but considering the Rangers inability to develope a cold let alone a decent prospect, I kinda lean towards the Rangers not taking the proper time to allow this kid the time needed to get it.

He spent 3 seasons in NY, 2 of which he had no business in the pros (02-03 and 03-04) He as much as Manny were both rushed to the pros and it cost them both.

He could have been a different player had he been given the proper time and teaching to develope properly.
The losing culture and only giving them 3rd/4th line minutes hurt a lot more than rushing them, IMO.

Old
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

The Rangers' coaching back then was terrible. Muckler. Low. Trottier. Sather. And Hartford was stacked with AHL all-stars. A lot of these kids just didn't get the proper coaching and development time that could have helped them succeed.

I put some blame on Jamie too, but equally as much on the Rangers. The environment and atmosphere around those teams from 98-04 were terrible for young players.

When you're surrounded by veteran players who were packing it in and only playing for a paycheck when they're supposed to be setting an example for the young guys, you're going to pick up bad habits.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:38 PM
In The Flesh

We've been rushing players for as long as I can remember, especially defenseman lately.

I hope Grachev doesn't seen NHL ice for another 2 yrs.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:47 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
We've been rushing players for as long as I can remember, especially defenseman lately.

I don't think it's "rushing" them, if they're ready to play. Who's on the roster right now that you think isn't ready? Del Zotto MAYBE.

Old
02-26-2010, 01:00 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post

It goes both ways. Is it rushing if they are ready? Is MDZ being rushed? Staal spent all 4 years in juniors too but zero in HFD. Sanguinetti is in his 2nd year in HFD. Sauer in his 3rd. Girardi only spent 1.5 seasons in HFD. I don't really consider any of these situations rushing. Malhotra was definitely rushed.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote