HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

what makes some skates more expensive?

Old
02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
I have Bauer vapor x:05 skates, and i have a lot of pain around and above the outside of my ankle.. is that something to do with the skates, how i am skating, or them not being broken in? I've skated at least 15, maybe 20 hours, in them. Anyone have a solution to this?
Can you draw a picture of a foot and point to where it hurts? It seems to me that you're not tightening them enough but that's only with the visual I have in mind.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Can you draw a picture of a foot and point to where it hurts? It seems to me that you're not tightening them enough but that's only with the visual I have in mind.
or the top one and/or two eyelets are too tight

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:46 PM
kirsi

Quote:

i tried to put a bracket around where it hurts.

it seems that the part between the tongue and the back part are just pressing against my ankle/leg there (even dug in a cut it, thus a hello kitty bandage.. ).

i thought maybe i was doing the top two eyelets too tight so i tried to loosen those, didn't notice if it helped or not.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
mbush82

If anything, I think looseness around the ankle will cause more friction, which will result in more blistering around that area. Get a pair of thicker socks and tighten your skates so they don't move so much.

mbush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:38 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:

it seems that the part between the tongue and the back part are just pressing against my ankle/leg there (even dug in a cut it, thus a hello kitty bandage.. ).

i thought maybe i was doing the top two eyelets too tight so i tried to loosen those, didn't notice if it helped or not.
Thanks for asking this, I have the exact same problem. I've got a huge "burn" type wound on my right leg exactly where you have the bandaid (and that's so hilarious, I had a Hello Kitty bandaid on it yesterday). I got this wound a week ago and it doesn't seem to be healing. Either way that's where my skate is rubbing, way more so on my right leg than left. Is it just that I need to tie my skates tighter?

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:59 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Its also possible the shop did not pay full price for them either. Distributors or companies will blow out old gear to dealers to get rid of stuff and then the dealers pass it along.

I can tell you for sure, that in season new stuff, dealers are not getting $600 skates at a cost of less than $130. There is not that much markup on skates. Having worked lots of retail, I would guess that normal cost for a pair of $600 skates is probably close to $450 or more.
If you really aren't in the business...that was a really good guess.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:12 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Hmm, yes. My foot also hurts there when I don't tie my skates tightly enough. This might be embarrassing, but ask someone older and stronger to tie your skates. When I started out, I couldn't/didn't know how tight to tie my skates and this old Russian beast of a man helped me tie them, almost cut the circulation of the blood in my foot but the skate fit like a glove after that and no more pain.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
should be a little less than that

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Not in the hockey business, but worked and managed bicycle shops for years and worked in a ski/snowboard shop for some time as well.

But most high dollar items like skates, bikes, skis, boots, things of that nature will work on a markup of around that number. So it was just an educated guess based on other types of similar retail items.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
kirsi

Quote:
Hmm, yes. My foot also hurts there when I don't tie my skates tightly enough. This might be embarrassing, but ask someone older and stronger to tie your skates. When I started out, I couldn't/didn't know how tight to tie my skates and this old Russian beast of a man helped me tie them, almost cut the circulation of the blood in my foot but the skate fit like a glove after that and no more pain.
Wow yeah I spent a considerable amount of time just now trying to tie my laces a lot tighter and I can already feel the difference.. thanks for the advice (don't know if I will be able to find a burly Russian man, though). I think I might get a lace tightening tool, I don't care if I look weak!

Last edited by kirsi: 02-26-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-26-2010, 06:16 PM
jsykes

Try waxed laces. They really help in getting your skates tight as they do not loosen up after being tied and help stay tight as you move from eyelet to eyelet.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:18 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Excessive advertising $$$ and overpaying hockey stars to appear in their ads.
I think you were in one of the old Rock em Sock em videos, lol

Don cherry would not be happy with you!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:03 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Try waxed laces. They really help in getting your skates tight as they do not loosen up after being tied and help stay tight as you move from eyelet to eyelet.
That's a good suggestion to help lace em up. I prefer non waxed laces only to avoid excessive lacebit.

One question for kirsi about the pain on the ankle, have you had your skates baked? I'm assuming yes because it's fairly standard practice to do so when selling new skates. If you have not, get it done. It will help you lace the skate up because when you get it molded to your foot shape it retains a memory and won't open up so wide by default when you take them off after a skate. It will also help remove pressure point areas. Most LHS should be able to do that for you. You may also try some socks that are longer so that they cover that area and offer compressive support. Something like swiftwick socks which I personally use and love a lot. They are thin so you get a good feel for the ice without going barefoot, almost like dress socks but compress your skin a bit similar to diabetic socks to help improve blood flow. They also are made to not retain water. They have some socks made with a material called olefin that actually floats in water (it doesn't soak any water up at all). That will help to keep your foot planted better in the boot vs a standard cotton sock when it gets wet with sweat and occational melted ice from skating.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:35 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

i just made the switch from low to mid level skates to top end skates this season. i got a pair of bauer x60s, and they are incredible.

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:59 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
i just made the switch from low to mid level skates to top end skates this season. i got a pair of bauer x60s, and they are incredible.
I tried them on, almost bought a pair but I got some CCM U+ Pro Reloaded skates for $399. That and the free CL Stick was too good a deal to pass up.

Old
02-27-2010, 11:11 PM
kirsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
That's a good suggestion to help lace em up. I prefer non waxed laces only to avoid excessive lacebit.

One question for kirsi about the pain on the ankle, have you had your skates baked? I'm assuming yes because it's fairly standard practice to do so when selling new skates. If you have not, get it done. It will help you lace the skate up because when you get it molded to your foot shape it retains a memory and won't open up so wide by default when you take them off after a skate. It will also help remove pressure point areas. Most LHS should be able to do that for you. You may also try some socks that are longer so that they cover that area and offer compressive support. Something like swiftwick socks which I personally use and love a lot. They are thin so you get a good feel for the ice without going barefoot, almost like dress socks but compress your skin a bit similar to diabetic socks to help improve blood flow. They also are made to not retain water. They have some socks made with a material called olefin that actually floats in water (it doesn't soak any water up at all). That will help to keep your foot planted better in the boot vs a standard cotton sock when it gets wet with sweat and occational melted ice from skating.
yeah when i bought my skates i asked about them being baked, and the guy said it probably wasn't a good idea because they are lower end stuff and it would be bad for them (break down the material or something)? in any case he did warm them up at least some and stick them on my feet.

thanks for the socks recommendation - i just bought some under armour socks that i had high hopes for but they are the strangest, hugest socks ever and need to be returned.

Old
02-28-2010, 12:02 AM
cmdrdredd

It is unfortunately a trial and error process to find what works for you. I think your skates can be baked but not more than once. Some lower end skates could possibly melt when heated up too much or too long. I also believe you would benefit from the socks a lot. Not only covering that area, but keeping your foot planted better by not allowing the sock to suck up moisture and let your foot slide around. Swiftwick socks are pretty expensive as far as socks go at around $12-$14 per pair, but they last forever. Don't be afraid to wear socks that go further up your calf than normal ankle high socks when you skate. The benefits could outweigh some of the reservations you might have about looking odd. I know the compression I get has given me more comfort overall. Usually I wear long pants when I'm at a public skate and during hockey everything is covered anyway so nobody notices them.

Old
02-28-2010, 01:39 AM
stick9

Quote:

The top of the boot is causing the problem, pretty common. You could try skipping the top eyelet and see if that helps. Maybe your LHS can heat that area and pull it out a little so you don't have a hard edge cutting into your leg.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote