HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Willie Mitchell's season might be over

Old
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Mike27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Assuming that Mitchell is done for the rest of the season the Canucks will have a little bit of cap space for sure to work with.

Our daily cap hit including Mitchell and Bieksa is $300,777 but that's with a 24 man roster. The maximum allowed per day is $294,300. With Mitchell ($18,135) on LTIR we're under the cap AND we've got up to $12,435 of cap space per day to use.

Not only that but we'll need to clear a roster spot in order to add someone at the deadline so let's assume we send Lukowich ($8,117) down to the minors and go with 14F, 7D and 2G.

That gives us $20,552 of daily cap space to use on a player which in other words means we can add a $3.966M player at the deadline.

We'll likely want to keep a little bit of space in case of injuries so it's pretty safe to say that we'll be able to add around a 3 million dollar player (per year cap hit) at the deadline assuming Mitchell is done for the season.

I might be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
It is a little confusing, but it seems to me that when Bieksa went down, that gave the Canucks cap room to bring Demitra off the LTIR.

According to nhlnumbers.com, the Canucks have $.408 of cap space available now, with Bieksa, Mitchell and Bolduc on the LTIR and 22 players on the active roster (remember Baumgartner was sent down).

If Bieksa comes back, the Canucks would have 23 players and would be over the cap.

Something will have to give.

Mike27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
thecupismine

This would suck a LOT. Mitchell is the team's best shut-down defender and is absolutely critical to the team's success, particularly if we want any in the post-season. All of a sudden, the trade deadline may be that much more important...

thecupismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Avery4Byng*

Horrible news, why couldn't it be Wellwood who needs to take some time off.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Brutal news.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Zorbane

don't forget Lukowich and or Rome can be sent down too

I don't know if people are keeping that in the equation.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
timw33

Nooooooooooo.

We really really need him. And I really don't want to have to waste picks and prospects to replace him at the deadline. Drives his re-signing value down too.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Look on the bright side, I don't think Mitchell really had any more play left in him after this year. He's slowing down and the game is speeding up.

Obviously, with Louie going all the way on TC and some big holes in the lineup, this isn't one of those years you expect the team to go far in the playoffs.

Gillis' goal this summer is to overhaul the defense. Everybody should be gone save for Ehrhoff, Edler and maybe SOB.

At least there's some promise in the pipeline, Connauton is probably ready for the AHL next year, and if he has a strong camp probably the NHL.
There is almost no chance of that happening.

This news about Mitchell ****ing sucks. He's arguably the teams most important defenseman.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Gillis' goal this summer is to overhaul the defense. Everybody should be gone save for Ehrhoff, Edler and maybe SOB.
I agree with this man. I personally respect Mitchell and enjoy him on the team. But I'd like to see our back-end get more multi-dimensional, quicker, and meaner. I've been looking towards the future on Salo and Mitchell for awhile.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Moore Money

Gillis has no choice now. He has to make a move to fix the D.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:01 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

I want a 'Weber' lite player on our team..

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Bourdon

This is why moving Schneider for a defense prospect is what I want. I'm not sure what type of value he has, but it's not like a prospect should have much more value than Schneider.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Peter Griffin

Maybe AV is just saying Willie will be out for the year so that it doesn't look like he's rushing him ala last year when Mitchell hurt his back. I dunno, trying to find a positive here...

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon View Post
This is why moving Schneider for a defense prospect is what I want. I'm not sure what type of value he has, but it's not like a prospect should have much more value than Schneider.
I wonder if one of Coburn or Carle could be available? Schneider would be a great 1B behind Emery right now and work into a starter's role. I would love to add Coburn. I still remember his monster days in the WHL (I was at a game where he scored four goals and KO'ed Zack FitzGerald who was the WHL Champ at the time) Of course 29 other teams would probably kill for him too. This is probably a dumb thought but this is me thinking about it for like 30 seconds.

Last edited by Balls Mahoney: 02-25-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old
02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I wonder if one of Coburn or Carle could be available? Schneider would be a great 1B behind Emery right now and work into a starter's role. I would love to add Coburn. I still remember his monster days in the WHL (I was at a game where he scored four goals and KO'ed Zack FitzGerald who was the WHL Champ at the time) Of course 29 other teams would probably kill for him too.
According to many Flyers' fans, Coburn has been pretty crappy this year.

Old
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
According to many Flyers' fans, Coburn has been pretty crappy this year.
That's what I've been hearing as well but it varies on who you talk too. I personally would roll the dice on him. Moving forward he's got the defensive play, size, and grit I'd be looking for on the back end. I'd like to grab him while his value is low. Also consider we're going to need to think about filling two or three spots moving forward. The price probably won't be worth it but he's the name I'm throwing out right now.

Also a shame we're up against the cap because I wouldn't mind adding Hartnell who Philly is going to have to get rid of for cap reasons. Imagine playing against Burrows, Kesler, Hartnell.

Old
02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
That's what I've been hearing as well but it varies on who you talk too. I personally would roll the dice on him. Moving forward he's got the defensive play, size, and grit I'd be looking for on the back end. I'd like to grab him while his value is low. Also consider we're going to need to think about filling two or three spots moving forward. The price probably won't be worth it but he's the name I'm throwing out right now.
Yea, I think he'd be a good fit in a #4 role going forward. If the Canucks could get him for something based around Schneider, it would be something I'd hope Gillis would consider.

Old
02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

If this is true we need to add a top 4 d-man if we want any chance at a cup run.

We have to expect Salo to be hurt in the playoffs. He's been injured at some point in the last 4 playoff rounds we've been in.

Baumer and Rome playing in the playoffs won't cut it, we can't win like that.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Peter Griffin

Hopefully some team will have interest in Jannik Hansen because without a 2nd round pick in this year's draft there are a lot of teams that will be able to outbid the Canucks, simply because they can offer a 2nd rounder in any deal.

Seidenberg is the guy I want Gillis to get. He's mobile, physical, solid defensively, can chip in offensively, shot block leader and log a lot of ice-time. I think he's a player that could be signed rather reasonably as well. Likely will cost a decent amount to get him though, 2nd round pick plus good prospect or a 1st. Andy Sutton is another guy that would be a good pick-up. Brings the size that would be needed to replace Mitchell, but has improved his defensive game and would be a solid addition at the right price. I can see the Isles having interest in Hansen.

Old
02-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Also a shame we're up against the cap because I wouldn't mind adding Hartnell who Philly is going to have to get rid of for cap reasons. Imagine playing against Burrows, Kesler, Hartnell.
Considering the status of our PK is still a "work in progress" - adding a guy like Hartnell wouldn't be advisable.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It was a pretty mild boarding and attracted a minor penalty IIRC.

Mitchell was in an awkward position - it happens. Just because there is an injury is not the sole prerequisite for supplementary discipline - particularly on a run of the mill play.
Malkin has been a cheap shot artist for a while now and hasn't been given any kind of punishment. He should have been suspended for the hit but he gets "special" treatment as most star players do. His elbow to Wayne Simmons was also worthy of a suspension that was let go as well. He is one player who I can't wait to see go down in a heap.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
I want a 'Weber' lite player on our team..
I'd love a Weber type player....maybe even someone similar to a Douglas Murray. We need some mean on our back end.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:21 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Let's hope Mitchell can improve in another month and a half off and maybe be ready to go come playoff time. Maybe even 2nd round (assuming we make it there - we should).

Horrible news though. Willie is my favourite Canuck.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Lots on this here.

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&sou...ed=0CAsQsQQwAA

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Considering the status of our PK is still a "work in progress" - adding a guy like Hartnell wouldn't be advisable.
Oh totally but I have an attraction to chaos which having three of the more agitating guys in the league would bring about. I'd also be interested to see a guy with Hartnell's skill set in AV's system. However, I do acknowledge it wouldn't necessarily be the most productive move.

Old
02-25-2010, 11:29 PM
VanEric

I feel bad for Willie. Post concussion syndrome is just awful and this could really hurt his career moving forward. If he's having setbacks, that's really really bad. It's compounded by the fact that he's a UFA so not only is this bad for his health, it's bad for his bank account. I'm sure he's not too concerned about that right now, though.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote