HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Pekka Rinne Signs Extension (2 years, $6.8 mil)

Old
02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Awesome! $3.4 mil cap hit...two years! Great signing by Poile!!!
i pointed out on the trade board, the 4 million dollar season comes when Arnott and Sullivan come off the books, and Weber is up for a new contract. Good strategy by Poile there.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
3.) Poile trades Hamhuis...maximizes asset?
yes please!

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:52 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i pointed out on the trade board, the 4 million dollar season comes when Arnott and Sullivan come off the books, and Weber is up for a new contract. Good strategy by Poile there.
And with the Hornqvist re-signing pending, I get the sense Poille will try to deal one of these $4M+, multi-year contracts during the off-season:

R Dumont, Jean-Pierre 78 $4
C Legwand, David 80 $4.5
L Erat, Martin 81 $4.5

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
And with the Hornqvist re-signing pending, I get the sense Poille will try to deal one of these $4M+, multi-year contracts during the off-season:

R Dumont, Jean-Pierre 78 $4
C Legwand, David 80 $4.5
L Erat, Martin 81 $4.5
He could try, but they all have either NTC or NMC.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:03 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
He could try, but they all have either NTC or NMC.
I would think Dumont could be persuaded (plus he'd be more desirable by the acquiring team because of his shorter contract). Wasn't there some tension between coach and player that had something to do with Dumont's ice time, at some point during this season?

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
How desperate are you willing to get for Ellis? JVR on the table? Maybe if we add Ryan Jones?

No, I doubt Poile will trade Ellis before the break and will simply allow him to play out his contract. We have no one ready to step in internally and acquiring someone off the scrap heap doesn't help us if Pekka gets injured or falters down the stretch...

I thought this initially, and it probably will still be the way poile does it9as cautious as he is), but there may be some value in "throwing our hat over the fence" and trading Ellis now.

Pekka can gird his loins and know that he is No 1 not only for the future but right now. He wont have to worry about a goalie rotation or anything else if we trade ellis and bring in a placeholder backup. could be the push he needs to get his "A" game back.

the nightmare scenario now is Rinne has a couple of bad games, Trotz lets Ellis play and he gets hot... talk about a no win situation...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:29 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I would think Dumont could be persuaded (plus he'd be more desirable by the acquiring team because of his shorter contract). Wasn't there some tension between coach and player that had something to do with Dumont's ice time, at some point during this season?
not really. Trotz called JP out in the media and demoted him to the 4th line... and JP scored 2 goals the next night...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Awesome. I'm just glad to see one of them signed before summer.

The salaries are interesting though. Only $2.8M for next season? This would allow us to sign a decent goalie for 1 year as a stop gap until we can bring someone up. Might even be Ellis.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The difference in actual salary and cap hit in Pekka's new deal helps offset the money above hit we had with the deals already on the books for next season (see Erat). Pretty good deal overall.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
braindead

GREAT RESULT! Poile needs to continue trying to have back end loaded contracts, which I think make a good player tradeable in the final year because the cap hit is lower than the actual dollars. I assume there is no NTC/NMC. I'm thrilled.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
GREAT RESULT! Poile needs to continue trying to have back end loaded contracts, which I think make a good player tradeable in the final year because the cap hit is lower than the actual dollars. I assume there is no NTC/NMC. I'm thrilled.
The problem with too many back loaded contracts is that we have a situation in 11-12 where our actual salaries are in the neighborhood of over $2mil above our cap hit.

We're now at a hit of $39.8 for 15 players on one-way deals next season ... still need to sign Hornqvist and a #3 d-man.

Old
02-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Good signing. I expected around this much. It makes sense for us, and it makes sense for Pekka.

02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

That second year could potentially be a big problem, but it could have been worse.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That second year could potentially be a big problem, but it could have been worse.
On the market, he would have gotten 4 I believe. Listening to the NHL live and HNIC radio hosts this afternoon - both believed he would have received more on the market. Both thought he left money out there.

Also of note - the HNIC crew praised Shea Weber 'again'. Specifically mentioning how he and Doughty stood out above all the other Canadian defensemen.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
"All good things come in threes"

1.) Bridgestone Arena naming rights announced
2.) Pekka Rinne signs contract extension
3.) ???
Suter extension?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

What a steal!

Coming from a Canucks fan, easily one of the most underrated goalies in the league.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Nashville actually has a few steals.

Patric Hornqvist at just over $713k
Shea Weber at $4.5 mil
Ryan Suter at $3.5 mil
Francis Bouillon at $750k (it might not be sexy, but he's been our third best defenseman through most of the season)
Pekka Rinne making $725k this year.

Hopefully he will settle down as a number one netminder. I'm ok with the $2.8mil season as long as he plays up to his potential in 50% of his games. I couldn't stomach a season like this at $4mil though.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Split the Weber/Suter discussion to it's own thread...please use that to continue to talk about them and reserve this thread for thoughts about Pekka...

New Weber/Suter thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=742639

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Nashville actually has a few steals.

Patric Hornqvist at just over $713k
Shea Weber at $4.5 mil
Ryan Suter at $3.5 mil
Francis Bouillon at $750k (it might not be sexy, but he's been our third best defenseman through most of the season)
Pekka Rinne making $725k this year.

Hopefully he will settle down as a number one netminder. I'm ok with the $2.8mil season as long as he plays up to his potential in 50% of his games. I couldn't stomach a season like this at $4mil though.
Not to mention Goc's $775k for next year. I consider him a steal!

As for Pekka, I hope the starter position will give him some confidence and he will pick his game up for the remainder of the season. I am sure he will have a better season next year; going from what he was last year to what he has done this year really means the only way is up, right?

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:55 AM
dulzhok

Ehhh. For a guy that's been pretty average this year, seems like a high number to me. Certainly has played no better than Chris Mason when he got a 3m/yr extension. I would also argue that he hasn't played better than Ellis when he got at $1.75m/yr extension.

Kinda reminds me of the Erat/Legwand signings... guys that were going to be UFA, so we paid them more on wishful potential than at the level they were actually playing.

Lowering the UFA age to ~26 is one of the reasons why many players are overpaid. GMs are paying out based on wishful potential.

Lastly, if Poile feels like Pekka is/will-be a true #1, why only give 2 years?

Not horrible; not great.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-25-2010 at 02:15 AM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Predaleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Ehhh. For a guy that's been pretty average this year, seems like a high number to me. Certainly has played no better than Chris Mason when he got a 3m/yr extension. I would also argue that he hasn't played better than Ellis when he got at $1.75m/yr extension.
One year means nothing. If players signed based one year stats then Jason Blake was a good a signing for the leafs as well as Legwand from wat ive heard. They have seen what he can do so 3.5 mill cap hit is great.He still has his prime ahead of him so it is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

Lastly, if Poile feels like Pekka is/will-be a true #1, why only give 2 years?

2 years is great. at the end of his contract he would be 29-30 if not mistaken. This would give him a chance to recieve an upgrade if he plays great or a downgrade if he stinks it up.Also leaves room to sign a decent backup. Ellis could get 2-3.many goalies could sign for 1.5 to back him up for this year. Also always Poile to ***** his goaltending position. If Pickard plays up to his potential in 2 years he could be fighting for his starting position Allowing Poiler to move Rinne and giving Pickard his job. 3-5 is to long to do this and 1 is way to short.2 was the great part.

Overall when u get a starting goalie good for 55-65 games a year and has the potential of Rinne who s playing decent hockey for 3.5 mill its good. Great signing by Poile

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
One year means nothing. If players signed based one year stats then Jason Blake was a good a signing for the leafs as well as Legwand from wat ive heard. They have seen what he can do so 3.5 mill cap hit is great.He still has his prime ahead of him so it is great
One year means ALOT if it's your contract year.

For a short contact (1-2 yrs), I think 2-2.5 would have been a good number. It's basically a "prove your a true number one" contract.

I don't seem him much different that Craig Anderson last year, and he only got 1.8 million or something. It was a similar "prove it your a #1 goalie" contract. So far he's done it, and will likely get a big raise.

There may have been another team willing to pay Pekka 3.5m a year. Honestly, I think that depends on how the rest of the season goes. If he propels us into the playoffs, he probably would've been sought after on the free agent market. If he plays good here and there (like he's done this season), then 3.5m is a reach at this point. Esp if the cap goes down.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:56 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Craig Anderson really isn't a good comparison. Prior to this season he had never played more than 31 NHL games in a season nor won more than 15. He still ended up with a $1.8mil deal with no track record as a starter. Rinne has 20 wins so far this season and had 29 last.

Old
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Does anyone have those Pekka! pokemon pictures? They make me lol

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:46 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I liked this article: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...2/2250355/1028

Is it too wishful thinking to hope that Ellis is signed as our backup? I mean who else is in the market for a starting goaltender next year? (I haven't really been keeping up with that). I mean if he's going to be a backup, it might as well be here. I assume he'd only leave if a good starting position was out there.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote