HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Prospal wants to stay a Ranger

Old
02-26-2010, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Prospal wants to stay a Ranger

Arthur Staple of Newsday spoke with Vinny Prospal yesterday about next Wednesday's trading deadline(March 3).

Quote:
"I hope I don't have to think about anything like that," Prospal told Newsday after the 16 non-Olympic Rangers finished an hour-long workout run by assistant general manager / coach Jim Schoenfeld and associate coach Mike Sullivan on Wednesday at the MSG Training Center. "I hope I play good enough that they keep me around. We're right in the middle of [the playoff race]."

It's Prospal's good play that should make him a more attractive trade commodity. Rangers president Glen Sather very rarely has been the one to ship off veterans for draft picks or prospects at the deadline - 2004 was the only other time, and the Rangers collected very little from all their unloading that year - and this year, with the team tied for ninth and a point out of a playoff berth with 20 games to go, it's doubtful that Sather will be in major sell-off mode.

But Prospal could fetch a nice reward. He's playing on a one-year, $1.15-million deal that has to rank as one of the best values in the league this season
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...nger-1.1781446

Staple points out Carolina wants a #1 pick for their group III Ray Whitney. Both players have the same stats this season.

The Rangers have not spoken to Prospal's agent Rich Winter about a contract extension.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:39 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Arthur Staple of Newsday spoke with Vinny Prospal yesterday about next Wednesday's trading deadline(March 3).

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...nger-1.1781446

Staple points out Carolina wants a #1 pick for their group III Ray Whitney. Both players have the same stats this season.

The Rangers have not spoken to Prospal's agent Rich Winter about a contract extension.
He could get a major asset in return. He could get a middle to late first round selection if a bubble team makes a deal for him. If the Rangers got a pick in return around the 18 to 22 range, and they somehow finished somewhere in the top 10 they may be able to move up if they combine their pick with the acquired 1st and a prospect.

That said, the Rangers will not be in sell mode. They will likely attempt to acquire Seidenberg and an Antropov-esk forward.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm an advocate of shipping off Prospal, though I realize it's probably not going to happen. That being the case, I'm glad he's here, and wouldn't mind keeping him another year if the price is right.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm an advocate of shipping off Prospal, though I realize it's probably not going to happen. That being the case, I'm glad he's here, and wouldn't mind keeping him another year if the price is right.
Exactly how I feel. In an ideal world, we go into sell mode, get some assets, then re-sign him in the off-season to a one year deal + an option for a second. Of course this would never happen.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm all for keeping him for the rest of the season and I'm all for having him next year, like 2k said, if the price is right.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Sather won't ship him out as a rental... I'm pretty sure he'll stay through the season and then sign for another year or two.

Gotta love the guy.

Last edited by Loffen: 02-26-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
pwoz

Trade him for a pick to move up in the draft.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:09 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

If we are actually going to sell, he would be a great piece to move. That said, I would still love having him back next season.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:16 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Exactly how I feel. In an ideal world, we go into sell mode, get some assets, then re-sign him in the off-season to a one year deal + an option for a second. Of course this would never happen.
AFAIK, the CBA doesn't allow option years.

Prospal is 35, so it would be in our best interest to only sign him to a 1 year deal, if we do re-sign him, unless he's willing to play for cheap again.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:18 AM
rangerjoe

If Prospal finishes off the season well, you have to figure the NYR will have him back, knowing that he won't demand a ton from them simply because they brought him to NY and gave him a chance to play after being dumped by TB. He's a solid veteran who can add to this team, plain and simple.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

If we could get a first for him, then there's no excuse for not moving him. Slats won't though, of course, because we're "still in it"...

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:38 AM
ruckus*

I love this guy and I have no faith that our management would move him for something that would ever end up mattering to us.

I'd much rather have him hear for the next year or two playing with passion and teaching our kids what it takes to be a leader and what it takes to win.

What a great pick up.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:52 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

I wouldn't mind shipping him for a 1st round pick, other than that, no thanks. Better keep him and sign him this summer for a similar or slightly more contract.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Pull the trigger if he'll get us a first. Absolutely.

I love the guy but he's not part of the long-term plan (IF cigar-puss has a plan).

Or we can just keep him... barely make the play-offs and then lose him for nothing or re-sign him on the cheap again.

Time to manage our assets (the few we have / the few we should be moving).

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Crease

I think we can all agree that we'd love Prospal back if the price is right (~$2M a year) but with this being Vinny's last contract, do you really think he'll take a discount to stay with the Rangers. He'll likely get a 1 or 2 year deal worth $3 and change on the market.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If he can get a good deal, trade him and resign him as UFA.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:15 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
If he will re-sign for cheap again, I'm all for bringing him back. If not, he is a good plan B if we can't sign Kovalchuk.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
I wouldn't mind shipping him for a 1st round pick, other than that, no thanks. Better keep him and sign him this summer for a similar or slightly more contract.
I doubt we'll be able to re-sign him for that. Last year Tampa bought him out late in the free agency period. He didn't have many options for places to play because many teams had already spent their FA money.

Next offseason he'll be UFA on day 1 and will likely get a few offers that will double and maybe even triple what he's making this year.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:24 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I doubt we'll be able to re-sign him for that. Last year Tampa bought him out late in the free agency period. He didn't have many options for places to play because many teams had already spent their FA money.

Next offseason he'll be UFA on day 1 and will likely get a few offers that will double and maybe even triple what he's making this year.
I agree with this as well. Prospal gets about 3M on the open market without a doubt. If Prospal really likes NY and realizes the ****ed up cap situation we're in, then he might take a pay cut, but then again that's a big IF. If the salary cap stays around the same price for a number of years, you are going to see a decrease in the amount of money UFAs are getting.

Teams' cap space is running low due to over-paid free agents, and so much money going into core players. Sooner or later, it seems like most FAs will have to deal with taking a lower price then they are worth.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

...which the Rangers may not be in a position to match, and arguably shouldn't.

This is a business. I'll take whatever I can get for any pending UFA next week. Wanna "stay a Ranger"? Accept a modest 1 year deal from them next July.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its nice that he wants to stay.

But if Brian Leetch can be traded, so can Prospal.

And he just upped his trade value by publicly stating he wants to stay.

If we can get a first-round pick for him, he HAS to be traded.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:32 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:

You never know, Tampa still owes him more or less $5,8 millions over the next 5 seasons. I'd start from there when I think about a new contract for him. He's already paid 1,166 next season, the question is what could we add to that next season. I wouldn't mind go up to 2-2.25 millions, depending of our exact cap situation coming July 1st. Then all depends whether the guy is a greedy SOB or not...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Celestial Black

I hope we can keep him for at least another year and at most 2 years but we have to see what happens first.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
nyr2417

Keep him and then sign him to 2 yr/4 mill.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Black View Post
I hope we can keep him for at least another year and at most 2 years but we have to see what happens first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
Keep him and then sign him to 2 yr/4 mill.
I'd like to think this team has learned their lesson with regard to multi-year contacts for players over 35. Vinny turned 35 last week.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote