HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal wants to stay a Ranger

Old
02-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Vinny is going no where. He has chemistry with Gabby and Torts likes him. He needs to take a good deal though like 2 million

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
OverTheCap

And, as said a few times in the thread, I would be a bit wary of re-signing him because he's due for a down year.

I hate looking into patterns like that, but he's been the league for 13 years and seems incapable of putting up good numbers in consecutive years.

In 2006-07, he played on a line with St. Louis and Lecavalier. Lecavalier won the Rocket Richard trophy and scored 108 points while St. Louis had 102 points. But Prospal only had 55 points. How is that even possible? I think Prospal during a down year could be insanely frustrating to watch.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Let's look at what he's being paid this year, not what his cap hit is. Right now he has more points than he did all last season. He's not going to take a pay cut.

02-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
And, as said a few times in the thread, I would be a bit wary of re-signing him because he's due for a down year.

I hate looking into patterns like that, but he's been the league for 13 years and seems incapable of putting up good numbers in consecutive years.

In 2006-07, he played on a line with St. Louis and Lecavalier. Lecavalier won the Rocket Richard trophy and scored 108 points while St. Louis had 102 points. But Prospal only had 55 points. How is that even possible? I think Prospal during a down year could be insanely frustrating to watch.
I totally agree with you here... I wish we had some knowledgeable former TB fan here who could fill us in on Prospal's play that year and others because I didn't follow that team very closely. I might go make a post on the TB board asking about it... Maybe his 55 points came along with him doing all the little things that made that line so successful? But perhaps not. Either way, I do want him back on a 1-2 year deal at 2.2 mil or less. Wishful thinking...don't know if it'll happen.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:14 PM
CM PUNK

he wants to stay but the question is how much $$? he is cheap this year cause he got bought out and tb is paying him too. and coming off a bad year...he'd get a raise on the open market, but his 'value' goes down if he's being paid fair $$

the rangers won't do it, cause they are more likely to trade for veteran help to get the 8th seed, but i think the SMART thing to do is shop prospal at the deadline to see what you get. And then make it known to him that if he wants to stay in ny, you'd be open to bringing him back over the summer as a ufa.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:23 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Let's look at what he's being paid this year, not what his cap hit is. Right now he has more points than he did all last season. He's not going to take a pay cut.
Not a pay-cut compared to this year. But I could see him sign a 2 year 4mil deal. Maybe a bit more. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I could see a bunch of teams giving up a 1st for Prospal. Detroit, Ottawa, Vancouver, LA, Pitt, Washington. All of those teams will most likely finish pretty high so their 1st won't be worth as much and can use the help for depth purposes on the wing.
Disagree. The price for good rentals is a 2nd round pick plus a young player/prospect. Prospal moved from TB to Philly two years ago for a 2nd round pick(Richard Panik) and Alex Picard. Look at his numbers when the trade was made,57 points in 62 games. Not much different than right now. 47 points in 55 games.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Rich Winter is a tough agent. His clients don't take hometown discounts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Disagree. The price for good rentals is a 2nd round pick plus a young player/prospect. Prospal moved from TB to Philly two years ago for a 2nd round pick(Richard Panik) and Alex Picard. Look at his numbers when the trade was made,57 points in 62 games. Not much different than right now. 47 points in 55 games.
I feel like the reason Whitney is only garnering a 2nd + prospect is because the team has to offer him a contract. If he was a true "rental" he would be able to return more.

Also, I feel like there are fewer sellers this season than 2 years ago and he has a more affordable contract. He is an ideal rental for a team looking to make a push, playoff experience, leader, hard-worker, playmaker.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Rich Winter is a tough agent. His clients don't take hometown discounts.
What would you think he will be looking for? I would think they also take into consideration the money from the TB buyout as well.

$2-2.5mil wouldn't do it?

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

If you could find a team willing to trade a first I would listen. That said, I think the chances of anyone giving up a first in this environment for a true rental is long gone. Much like the NFL, draft pick value has increased dramatically over the past few years. That's a by-product of the salary cap.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Probably depends who's interested. I agree with hv87 that a 25th-30th selection probably has less value than a 2nd+prospect....to some teams anyway.

Honestly, I'd take the 2nd on it's own and be happy Sather walked away with something next week.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:26 PM
LamoTheKid

While I dont see him taking a pay cut, I think he wont demand a huge contract considering TB is still paying him for the next few years on top of what he makes with us.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

If we can get a 1st for Prospal, then you gotta move him. Even if it's a late 1st. If Prospal wants to play in NY, he can sign a contract here in July.

I don't think we should look at a multi-year deal for Prospal either. 1 year, 2M. Take it or leave it. I see Prospal getting a better offer elsewhere, therefore trading him for some type of asset is definitely a no-brainer to me.

It's not that unlikely a team offers him a 2 year, 5M contract. Or even 6M, considering how he's played this season. It's not that I don't think he's worth that money; I just feel like that money can be invested towards something better than Prospal. Something a little more long-term.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we can get a first-round pick for him, he HAS to be traded.
Agreed....IMO, everyone except franchise guys like Henke and Gaborik are moveable. Franschise players are much harder to replace and make holes that are much harder to fill.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Guys, no chance we get a 1st straight up for Prospal... Maybe in a package a la Comrie/Campoli to Ottawa last season? Prospal + Girardi for a 1st?

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
Guys, no chance we get a 1st straight up for Prospal... Maybe in a package a la Comrie/Campoli to Ottawa last season? Prospal + Girardi for a 1st?
IMO that's more than enough for just any old pick - that should get you a pick in the 8-12 range.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Agitator View Post
I wouldn't move both Girardi and Prospal for a 1st. I think both can fetch us low 2nd's, with a prospect or two.

Old
02-26-2010, 04:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Lets not forget Prospals uncanny season to season ebb and flow stats.

This year was his good year, expect next year to be the opposite. Everything is leaning that way too, one more year older, staying with the same team with less to prove because of being bought out...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
IMO that's more than enough for just any old pick - that should get you a pick in the 8-12 range.
Who replaces Girardi's 20 minutes a night?

Old
02-26-2010, 05:00 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hell, I'd take even a pick in the 13-20 range. But then we still have to convince the boss to switch in sell mode.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I'd move Prospal for Picks/Prospects, but not Girardi. I'd want something proven for Danny.

Old
02-26-2010, 06:35 PM
darko

If we can get a late 1st rounder for him I say trade him. Vinny will want to stay in NY but I doubt he takes a paycut. It'll take 3 mill + to bring him back.

And the poster that said how Prospal was bought out late by Tampa and his options were limited at the time hit the nail on the head. Lots of teams will bid for him this time around.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:38 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I'd move Prospal for Picks/Prospects, but not Girardi. I'd want something proven for Danny.
If we can get a 2nd rounder and a semi-decent prospect for Danny boy you take that deal and run.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Sather won't ship him out as a rental... I'm pretty sure he'll stay through the season and then sign for another year or two.

Gotta love the guy.
hahaha, yeah - prospal is pretty awesome. I can't say I remember him playing in Anaheim though. God those jerseys are infinitely more 'offensible' than the Vancouver V IMO. The Stan Fischer / Gorton's fishstick Isles jersey might be the worst for me. I'd want to keep Prospal because sather will not sell. the only way he should be traded is if there is some big RFA out there some team is unable to resign like Backstrom (he'd be worth the offer sheet), Kesler, or B.Ryan and they want Prospal (for some reason) in the package. Is he worth a late 1st? Again, i don't see sather selling. I'd want at least a mid 1st in the 12-16 range.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote