HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think there would be any takers for Spacek?

Old
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Do you think there would be any takers for Spacek?

Honestly, I don't think I can take another 2 seasons of this guy. If a team comes calling for him, I say we let him go. It'll save some cap room for this summer. I believe he's scheduled to make 7million over the next 2 seasons.

Some my disagree, but I think he has been terrible. He's had a few solid games, but other than that I think he's been awful. Watching him play the point on the PP is hilarious.

For the rest of the season, we can go with:

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gill-Mara

Or, we can trade for a cheap d-man rental to take Spacek's place for the rest of this season if Martin isn't satisfied with Mara in the top 6. We have some prospects like D'Agostini or even Maxwell that could possibly be had for a top 6 defenseman.

Then, Subban will be ready to replace Spacek next season.

I think if we have the chance to get rid of his contract, we should do it.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:07 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Honestly, I don't think I can take another 2 seasons of this guy. If a team comes calling for him, I say we let him go. It'll save some cap room for this summer. I believe he's scheduled to make 7million over the next 2 seasons.

Some my disagree, but I think he has been terrible. He's had a few solid games, but other than that I think he's been awful. Watching him play the point on the PP is hilarious.

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gill-Mara

Or, we can trade for a cheap d-man rental to take Spacek's place for the rest of this season if Martin isn't satisfied with Mara in the top 6. We have some prospects like D'Agostini or even Maxwell that could possibly be had for a top 6 defenseman.

unfortunately.. no.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Fozz

Spacek has obviously been playing hurt for a while now. Hopefully he'll be refreshed after the break. That said, this is the signing from last summer that troubles me most, especially considering it's for another 2 years @ $3.833M cap hit. If someone wants him, I wouldn't have any problems in letting him go.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Its unfortunate things are not working out with him because he's not playing his regular side, and is having a terrible offensive season. If we can trade Hammer who I also believe has been underwhelming ever since markov's return, and move Spacek to the left side, he would play better.

I want to keep him and trade Hammer because we need enough space this offseason to sign a 1st line center, bottom pairing center, and our two young goalies.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gill-Mara

I don't think he has been that bad but his contract makes him untradeable.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Patty Roy

I think we could see an improved Spacek if we move Hamrlik and get him back on the left side.

Either way i certainly want one of Spacek/Hamrlik gone before the summer preferably.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Oh I agree, he's not bad enough so we could find takers for hopefully picks and/or prospects.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I think we could see an improved Spacek if we move Hamrlik and get him back on the left side.

Either way i certainly want one of Spacek/Hamrlik gone before the summer preferably.
Maybe move speedy Hal Gill instead?

Markov-OB
Hammer-PK
Spacek-Gorges

Looks Ok to me!

Old
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Oh I agree, he's not bad enough so we could find takers for hopefully picks and/or prospects.
lol , no he has negative value due to his contract ...

The only way to get rid of him is in exchange for another bad contract.

He can't even be bought out since he's too old.

The only other option is the mafia.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
lol , no he has negative value due to his contract ...

The only way to get rid of him is in exchange for another bad contract.

He can't even be bought out since he's too old.

The only other option is the mafia.
At 3.8$ mil/year his contract isn't atrociously bad here. Plus he's a 20+ minutes logging Dman who's +6. Can't be that hard finding a taker.

I bet Buffalo would take him back for a 7th

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

hammer + spacek to the czech team for jagr & cervenka

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
DeVries*

Sadly, there is not a single DG who's ****tard enough to take Spacek and is contract.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
m00ks

Defensemen, overpaid or not, generally have no problem getting moved. If he needs to leave, I'm positive we can find some takers but it would be at trade deadlines rather than off seasons.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Defensemen, overpaid or not, generally have no problem getting moved. If he needs to leave, I'm positive we can find some takers but it would be at trade deadlines rather than off seasons.
Finally, someone made sense.

No contracts are unmoveable and only useless players have negative value. The ''he has a bad contract so we need to give a pick to get rid of him'' is a HFboards fabrication. Imho he's probably worth a 3rd if the conditions are right, it would have been a 2nd if he had a better season.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Play him 2-3 minutes less a game and put him on the left side and you'll see a different player, I've been disappointed with him offensively but he's been better than I thought he would be defensively.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
MathMan

Spacek has kept this team afloat alongside Hamrlik in the absence of Markov and, thereafter, the real Markov. I don't understand all the bile directed his way, but maybe he's the type of player who makes the occasional glaring error that sticks in your mind, and fans are notoriously bad at noticing how, after 5-10 games, it's weird how he's been quietly effective all along in general...

...although I bet he'd look better if they played him on his usual side.

He was a fine signing and his play this season has not changed my mind, albeit the Habs have clearly not been able to use him optimally for a variety of reasons. And people who think Subban can step in and replace him immediately with no big drop-off are crazy. He'll get there, but he needs to cut his teeth on softer minutes for a year or two first. Eating first-pairing minutes is not a trivial task.

If the Habs trade him, they will immediately miss him and start looking for someone much like him (and the same applies to Hamrlik).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
No and I always considered you one of the best posters for the habs, so it's really odd to see you make a topic like this.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:21 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Finally, someone made sense.

No contracts are unmoveable and only useless players have negative value. The ''he has a bad contract so we need to give a pick to get rid of him'' is a HFboards fabrication. Imho he's probably worth a 3rd if the conditions are right, it would have been a 2nd if he had a better season.
Would you happy if our new GM traded a second for Mike Commodore, a serviceable defenseman with playoff experience? Wade Redden maybe? Jeff Finger anybody? Going once, twice, anyone?

But seriously, Spacek could be dealt by a playoff bound team with serious injuries at the back end or if we're willing to accept a bad contract in return. Who knows, maybe Edmonton would ship Souray over here for Spacek but are we better off salary cap wise?

Old
02-26-2010, 01:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
At 3.8$ mil/year his contract isn't atrociously bad here. Plus he's a 20+ minutes logging Dman who's +6. Can't be that hard finding a taker.

I bet Buffalo would take him back for a 7th
There might be a taker, but we got to take their garbage in exchange. He has been brutal. Actually he was pretty brutal in Buffalo. He put up points, but M-A Bergeron puts up points. Doesn't mean I want him a hab beyond last night.

On the Buffalo comment. i would bet my house you're wrong. Wanna bet?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Max Levine

I think there will be takers for Hamrlik, not for Spacek. I'm not happy with his play either but I hope he can do better the rest of year and next season. Hamrlik's value has got to be higher anyway.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I think there will be takers for Hamrlik, not for Spacek. I'm not happy with his play either but I hope he can do better the rest of year and next season. Hamrlik's value has got to be higher anyway.
Won't be any takers for Hamrlik until next year. It would be pretty stupid for a team to take him now.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
No and I always considered you one of the best posters for the habs, so it's really odd to see you make a topic like this.
First of all, thank you.

Second of all, I'm just really not a fan of the guy. I always thought of him as a solid d-man every time I watched him throughout his career. But I hate the term of his contract, and I hate the fact that he makes almost 4 million dollars per year.

I think people have been overrating him defensively this season. There were a few games where he was rock solid, but other than that he's been a huge disappointment.

I think Subban can definitely replace him next season. I just think that if we can get rid of him now to save some cap space, we should do it.

Old
02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
First of all, thank you.

Second of all, I'm just really not a fan of the guy. I always thought of him as a solid d-man every time I watched him throughout his career. But I hate the term of his contract, and I hate the fact that he makes almost 4 million dollars per year.

I think people have been overrating him defensively this season. There were a few games where he was rock solid, but other than that he's been a huge disappointment.

I think Subban can definitely replace him next season. I just think that if we can get rid of him now to save some cap space, we should do it.
People want to cut him some slack because hes on the right side but it doesnt matter to me, he keeps losing battles in his zone and that has nothing to do with being on the wrong side.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Won't be any takers for Hamrlik until next year. It would be pretty stupid for a team to take him now.
Normally I'd agree that he should be good for a rent only but with the season he's having, I'm sure a team like Dallas could be interested in adding his salary to their cap. Of course, Turco would then leave.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
People want to cut him some slack because hes on the right side but it doesnt matter to me, he keeps losing battles in his zone and that has nothing to do with being on the wrong side.
Exactly, he loses so many battles it's not even funny. And I've counted many times this season where he's skating in the defensive zone looking like a chicken with its head cut off.

Not to mention his work on the PP. It's actually been laughable. He's probably taken 40 point shots this year on the PP and 37 of them went completely wide.