HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think there would be any takers for Spacek?

Old
02-26-2010, 02:15 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
At 3.8$ mil/year his contract isn't atrociously bad here. Plus he's a 20+ minutes logging Dman who's +6. Can't be that hard finding a taker.

I bet Buffalo would take him back for a 7th
you're wrong. His contract is another unmovable one.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

always been a fan of Spacek and was very happy when we signed him but i dont think hes been playing to the level he can play and hes really suffering from playing the wrong side which makes him bubble some breakout passes which used to be one of his big strength imo. if anything i would want to move Hamrlik but with that contract i dont see anyone even thinking about getting him. our best chance to move Hamrlik will probably be in the offseason or next season trade deadline either way i dont expect much in return i just want to clear that 5.5 salary and i think hes replaceable

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:36 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
There might be a taker, but we got to take their garbage in exchange.
Yep, with his contract you definitely would expect a lower tier player coming back. Why not trade for a lower tier player we need? -- i.e. an intimdating 4th liner who can drop the gloves (and actually does it).

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
elsubz

I wouldn't give up so fast on Spacek. I could see him redeem himself ala Hamrlik after a bad season.

elsubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
GordonGraham

No one will take him , hell even Gill would be easier to move

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Miller Time

while not completely impossible, I think it's highly unlikely we'd find any takers.

Short of a team that desperately needs to reach the cap floor, I don't see a team offering us anything substantial in return for spacek. Given his age and his almost 4M$ cap hit, FOR 2 MORE SEASONS, it simply wouldn't make sense.

A quick look at the upcoming UFA dmen that will likely sign in the <4M$ range, and you can find several players that are better and/or younger than Spacek... why would a team give up any assets to get him when so many other options will be out there.

but if we could ship him out somewhere for a 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick, that would be a no-brainer mover to make... just need to find the desperate GM

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

but if we could ship him out somewhere for a 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick, that would be a no-brainer mover to make... just need to find the desperate GM
Well Hicks looks pretty desperate, maybe we can flip Spacek for Turco and then send Turco to EDM for a bunch of picks.

I should be GM

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Iwishihadacup

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
At 3.8$ mil/year his contract isn't atrociously bad here. Plus he's a 20+ minutes logging Dman who's +6. Can't be that hard finding a taker.

I bet Buffalo would take him back for a 7th
Exactly! Spacek has logged big minutes and is always matched up against the other teams top scoring line. You just can't replace this with a call-up from Hamilton. Casual fans don't get this.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:59 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Exactly! Spacek has logged big minutes and is always matched up against the other teams top scoring line. You just can't replace this with a call-up from Hamilton. Casual fans don't get this.
Well I think next season we'll be able to replace him from within yes. Look at P.K., seriously he doesn't have to spend 1 more year in Hamilton to convince me that's for sure. Enough with the patience scare mongering, we have young studs who need the experience good or bad.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Well, like I said..we can look into getting a cheap replacement for the time being.

Then, Subban can take over next year.

If you think Spacek is a guy to go against top lines, well then so be it..but to me, I'd much rather get rid of him and find a cheap replacement.

And are you calling me a "casual" fan? I'm FAR from a casual fan.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
If the Habs get rid of Spacek and Hamrlik, they're not just going to dump them and sit still. Obviously they will replace them but replace them with another player who's not grossly overpaid.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

And are you calling me a "casual" fan? I'm FAR from a casual fan.
No, I've always enjoyed your posts. I'm just flabbergasted at the bashing that Spacek and Hamrlik are taking on this thread. They have been Godsends this year. They have been playing far more minutes than they should (thanks to insane amount of man games lost to injury on our blue-line), have both been playing beat up and doing a commendable job. PK Subban can't come up next year and play the same role that Spacek has against other teams top lines. That would be feeding him to the wolves. As for the contracts, we have to pay a little more for sought after UFA's to come to Montreal. Spacek's former coaches absolutely love the guy....they love his passion, heart and dedication. We paid what we had to pay to get him here. We're far better with him than we would be without him.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:05 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
If the Habs get rid of Spacek and Hamrlik, they're not just going to dump them and sit still. Obviously they will replace them but replace them with another player who's not grossly overpaid.
How do you propose to do this? UFAs will cost the same amount, which makes the description of 'grossly overpaid' questionable. No team will give you a good young cheap D-man who can fill in a top-4 role next year -- at best you will get a Gorges type who'll get there in a couple of years. Trading for a vet on a cheaper contract will save little cap space and cost assets.

The Habs have Hamrlik and Spacek because they need them. And frankly, seeing as they're the first pairing and doing well in that role, I'm not sure why people are so hasty to dump them.

I don't really grok this widespread tendancy to want to trade away players to get rid of them. It's like cap space > NHL players in the HFBoards world.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:14 PM
JackZap

yet another gem by Gainey

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

A top 4 D that's overpaid, yet still has a manageable contract?

Definately.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
25th

Spacek and a 3rd this year for a 7th next year might find some takers.

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:15 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
He was the best D-men in Buffalo.

At the same price, there was Beauchemin and Spacek.

I would have picked Beauchemin... But Spacek numbers in offense were better.
Hindsight is 20/20.
Not so bad, he could have signed Komisarek (actually, he tried),
what I dont like is that u give a 3 yr contract to a 35 yr old guy. Gainey knew he had Halak-Price coming up and possibly another centerman to replace Plekanec (gave him a 1yr contract). Cap will probably stay the same for the next 2-3 years unless some teams are moved. So u tie up 4M for the next 3 yrs on a 35 yr old guy. Not to mention, no one knew if the guy could play on the right. So u invest all that money on a guy and u dont know if he can play the position u want him to play in.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:36 AM
LyricalLyricist

Not now, maybe when he's got 1.5-1 years left on his deal someone will listen.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Yep, with his contract you definitely would expect a lower tier player coming back. Why not trade for a lower tier player we need? -- i.e. an intimdating 4th liner who can drop the gloves (and actually does it).
Would you really do that, even if that player made 3-4 million dollars? Because thats what Habs have to take in return for Spacek contract.... its not just about trading players these days.

Personally, I would keep him ... I believe hes the only veteran defenceman we have who is signed beyond next season. Even if we manage to keep Markov, we need some one when Hamrlik contracts ends.

If were looking to free Cap room, Gill might be easier sell with his recent playoffs success, shorther term and more affordable cap hit.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:47 AM
habsroom

Once again for little or no reason most of the boards doesn't like Spacek. He has been playing hurt most of the season, he is not playing his regular side which a lot of defensemen can't even try and do, He isn't scoring alot of points becase he is on the second power play unit. He has had to play more minutes because of Markov being hurt. So in 58 games he has 20 points and he a plus 6 player that plays over 20 minutes a game and is signed for 2 more years 3.8 million a year. Look around the NHL and see if you can replace him. He is a great asset and because he doesn't hit or fight or score highlight goals this board doesn't like him , well guess what he never did that and never will he is the type of player that does his job and you don't notice him. I bet the coach love the job he is doing and I bet the GM knows he couldn't get a veteran defensemen that plays 20 plus minutes a game and can play on the powerplay and be a plus player for under 4 million that is signed for 2 more years. Wake up HBS fans the guy didn't play in the NHL for 15 years because he sucks.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:48 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Why don't you let the big boys converse and find something else to do?

Some people really think they are know-it-alls when in reality they have no clue.
Our opinion differs from yours so we need to find something else to do. Tell us how you really feel.

If you think people are lining up at the door for a 3.8 million dollar 35 yr old Spacek you you're the one without a clue.

He was never a 3.8million defencemen even during his best years.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Our opinion differs from yours so we need to find something else to do. Tell us how you really feel.

If you think people are lining up at the door for a 3.8 million dollar 35 yr old Spacek you you're the one without a clue.

He was never a 3.8million defencemen even during his best years.
That doesn't make him unmovable by any means.

Just as with every trade there needs to be a suitor who requires a certain type of player and a team willing to offer it, it's quite simple. A vet like Spacek can be of use to someone that requires a steady, experienced D-man for the short term. He will fetch a decent draft pick at the deadline this year or the next. Who says people have to be lining up for a guy? If one team is interested in him, does that mean PG won't trade him unless people line up for him? Maybe you'd like to re-think the wods you use.

And during his best years, he wasn't even worth 3.8 million? Yeah okay, an other ignoramus comment. Look at the D's around the league and how much they make compared to their point output and you will see how, really, you need to get a clue as well.

Gomez and other bad contracts got traded over the years, Spacek's contract is not even bad. At 4+ he would have been overpaid but this is a sweet spot for him especially if you consider the fact that he got an UFA premium, so get over it already, he does NOT have negative value.

In conclusion to answer the op's question: yes, there will be takers for Spacek, don't you worry.

Last edited by Next Best Thing*: 02-27-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:01 AM
habsroom

Well tell me who in the NHL in comparable to him he has avg 35 points over the last 12 seasons in the NHL and is a plus 31 for his career and that number would have been a lot higher if not for the 3 years with Columbus back in the early 2000's when they were the worst team in the NHL. He has played over 20 minutes a game each of those years and he is signed for under 4 million a year for 2 more years. really give me a list of guys that compare to him? I know he isn't a # 1 nhl defenseman but you guys make it sound like he sucks and you can't give me a reason to back up your statements ????? i wonder if some of you guys ever watch hockey or do you just complain about it ?

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
Well tell me who in the NHL in comparable to him he has avg 35 points over the last 12 seasons in the NHL and is a plus 31 for his career and that number would have been a lot higher if not for the 3 years with Columbus back in the early 2000's when they were the worst team in the NHL. He has played over 20 minutes a game each of those years and he is signed for under 4 million a year for 2 more years. really give me a list of guys that compare to him? I know he isn't a # 1 nhl defenseman but you guys make it sound like he sucks and you can't give me a reason to back up your statements ????? i wonder if some of you guys ever watch hockey or do you just complain about it ?
Well, take habsjunkie for example.
Mod edit:

A guy over 30 that makes over 3 mil must mean he's automatically untradable, the end, it's all over. We're gonna dieeeee.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-27-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment.
Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote