HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Brenden Morrow proving his worth

Old
02-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Uhmkay
Tryamkin = New Chara

vCash: 500
There should be a thread to talk about all of the 'bubble' players that some people questioned. Drew Doughty was another person that many people said shouldn't be on the team, particularly those that wanted Green on the team. I'd like to hear what those people think now of Doughty.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
saillias

Can't believe Green's name is still being mentioned. Robidas and Bouwmeester would both go before him, fyi...

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Drew Doughty was another person that many people said shouldn't be on the team, particularly those that wanted Green on the team. I'd like to hear what those people think now of Doughty.
Ok, i think he has been a great surprise and has been our best defenseman(best player maybe) at these Olympics. This coming from a guy who wanted green on the team instead of him. But hey, not many predicted he would be our #1 defenseman this tournament, so i couldn't care less that i was wrong.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Hes looked very average all tournament and not on par with his other Team Canada members.

He scores a goal in a game where seemingly everyone who took a decent shot scored and he proves his worth? I dont think so.

Jeff Carter or someone else should be there instead. Maybe Team Canada was just going for a record having the most NHL captains on one team...

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Amused To Death

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Can't believe Green's name is still being mentioned. Robidas and Bouwmeester would both go before him, fyi...
*cough* homer *cough*

Amused To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused To Death View Post
*cough* homer *cough*
not really, he's right...

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

I never questioned Toews, Doughty at the selection -- I felt they were locks myself.

Until yesterday I was still asking myself why morrow and bergeron were on the team. i'm still not sure where bergeron is there..in fact i wonder if he's even on the ice except for the odd PK

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:14 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
The role that Brenden Morrow is playing on this 2010 is very similar to that played by Rick Tocchet on our 1987 and 1991 Canada Cup teams. And, not to compare them as players (a different debate), but Toews = Sutter and Richards = Hawerchuk in terms of their roles on the respective teams.
Excellent comparisons.

I forgot about Hawerchuk, but there is an example of a guy who came into that tournament as a scorer, and left as a solid two-way role player. Guys like that carry the mail and make room for the Gretzkys and Lemieuxs to operate. If Hawerchuk isn't on the ice for that last goal in '87, maybe Mario doesn't score. Maybe he never becomes the dominant player he became. Wow.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Excellent comparisons.

I forgot about Hawerchuk, but there is an example of a guy who came into that tournament as a scorer, and left as a solid two-way role player. Guys like that carry the mail and make room for the Gretzkys and Lemieuxs to operate. If Hawerchuk isn't on the ice for that last goal in '87, maybe Mario doesn't score. Maybe he never becomes the dominant player he became. Wow.
Mario became the dominant player he was because Keenan put him on Gretzky's line half-way through Game 2 of '87 series. Mario even said that he "wanted to impress Wayne," and playing with Gretzky motivated Lemieux to such an extent that it ended all the questions of his work ethic and laziness, and he became the best player in the league from that time on until his retirement.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Hes looked very average all tournament and not on par with his other Team Canada members.

He scores a goal in a game where seemingly everyone who took a decent shot scored and he proves his worth? I dont think so.

Jeff Carter or someone else should be there instead. Maybe Team Canada was just going for a record having the most NHL captains on one team...
He hasn't been average. He just hasn't gotten the ice time to make any kind of impact, but he has played his typcal Morrow, smash-mouth hockey in the five minutes he was getting before the Russian game.

As an Oiler fan, I've seen what this guy can do in a big game, at both ends of the ice. I wanted him on the team for the last three years.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:32 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Mario became the dominant player he was because Keenan put him on Gretzky's line half-way through Game 2 of '87 series. Mario even said that he "wanted to impress Wayne," and playing with Gretzky motivated Lemieux to such an extent that it ended all the questions of his work ethic and laziness, and he became the best player in the league from that time on until his retirement.
Yes, no doubt. I am just saying that Hawerchuk made "the goal" happen by winning the draw that sent Murphy, Gretzky and Lemieux in. Who knows what happens to Lemieux if his confidence is shaken and he loses that series? Maybe he still becomes the great player he was, maybe not. That's fate, though

I am just saying that role players matter (as Pierre McGuire would say).

As a side note, the '87 Canada Cup stands alone as the best hockey ever played between Canada/Russia (USSR) in my opinion.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:42 AM
MuzzleLoader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
You have obviously never played the game. His physical prescence on the forcheck is second to none. He has the most hits in the tournament by a long shot and not only that they are hits to hurt plus they are clean. Those D hear foot steps he creates room for his linemates. He doesnt need the puck to be effective you need a mixture of players that need it and some that dont. Only one puck to go around.
Do you have any link that shows that? I would be very interested to actually see some numbers about hits.

MuzzleLoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM
RhyZa

He was throwing his body with reckless abandon that game.

Just flying into the boards trying to put someone through it. Big heart.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Caseman

I agree with this thread.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Sens16

Morrow was a good selection brings grit to the team. Guys that work hard every shift are a big part to a team. Doan and St. Louis would have brought some grit and hard work to the team as well. Toews and Richards bring grit to the team and do work.

Sens16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
featherhawk

maybe the ducks are going to try and trade for morrrow!!!!!!!!!LOL kidding, although it may be worth a look...truly benefited canada's lineup and success when he moved on line with the ducks

featherhawk is offline   Reply With Quote