HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-27-2010, 09:37 AM
PlayMistyForMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Has anyone dominated though? I mean on any team in the entire tournament? There are players that have exceeded expectations..or surprised us with good play. But no one has dominated.
The reason no single player dominates is that they just don't see the 25-30 minutes a game ice time that they get when playing for their regular teams. If Crosby and Ovechkin played on two lines during the Olympics, then they would dominate and be scoring leaders.

I saw Ovechkin at the Scotia Bank Place in Ottawa and the guy just jumps on the ice when he feels like it. I saw him wave to a teammate on the ice to come off so he could take his place and at least three times, he just leaned on the boards at the opposite side of the rink during a line change (his way of indicating: Hey! Forget it! I am staying on the ice."). By the end of the game, he had played on three of the four Capitals lines. You just can't do that in the Olympics.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:46 AM
mobilus

Crosby seems off a bit because he's continuously stunned at having wingers who can keep up with him and understand position. Iginla keeps shooting wide because he's perpetually stunned that the puck keeps ending up on his stick at the right time in the right place. I'm stunned that so many people don't see the details of the game. No wonder, for the most part, women don't listen to men.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:08 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I think he's been among the worse forwards on team Canada actually.. Decent but not more... but he still has the biggest of games left to "redeem" himself

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:17 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I'm trying not to be biased being a Flyers fan but Crosby has sucked in the Olympics.
He doesn't even look like he's trying at times, the rest of Team Canada is giving 110%Crosby's not!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I'm trying not to be biased being a Flyers fan but Crosby has sucked in the Olympics.
He doesn't even look like he's trying at times, the rest of Team Canada is giving 110%Crosby's not!
thanks for trying but you failed .

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
BlackAces*

The karma being built up in this thread makes me happy

These threads always come back to bite people in the ass, and it will tomorrow. He has been good, just not his usual level of insane. Again, thankfullly, this thread guarantees that to change tomorrow.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
BlackAces*

Quote:
I'm trying not to be biased being a Flyers fan
Yet, you did a fantastic job playing it to perfection.

Old
02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 174
Crosby have to bring his A game come sunday we really need him to step up

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Hasn't been the player he normally is. Maybe with all the elite players on the team he is blending in...or he just isn't elevating his game the way he needs to.

Either way, he's got to be better for Canada to have a chance against the US.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:38 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

he has been winning all kinds of battles, especially last night, along the boards and giving passes to wide open team mates.... iginla was missing the net quite a few times, and other times there were just timely saves by halak.

sid could have had 3 points against slovakia.... the puck just didn't go in.

anyone who thinks he has had a "bad" olympics isn't watching all of the games.... he isn't standing out far and above the rest, but this is his first international tourney since 05 juniors right? not surprising IMO

OnMyOwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:39 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler17 View Post
He's fine.

He has been doing everything right except getting on the scoresheet. Against Russia he dominated play along the boards, worked hard defensively and generated chances which Iginla and Staal couldn't capitalize on. Tonight was more of the same, and aside from one give away (which wasn't 100% his fault) he played well.
This.

I thought Crosby looked very dangerous last night. He had his speed going, caused some scoring chances, he maybe could have taken more shots but I can't name a forward who played better than he did... Maybe Brendan Morrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler17 View Post

People need to stop overanalyzing everything he does, if you've been watching the tournament, you should know that he HASN'T been lazy defensively, he's always where the puck is, or where its going to be.

He'll get on the scoresheet more then once on Sunday, then MAYBE some of you will cut him some slack.
I'm getting that a small minority are actually worried about his play. Most are actually hoping there's something wrong with his play.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:43 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
I'm trying not to be biased being a Flyers fan but Pronger has sucked in the Olympics.
He doesn't even look like he's trying at times, the rest of Team Canada is giving 110% Pronger's not!
I think you meant this, hmmm?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

I used to wonder if some people actually watched the games, but now I understand there are a lot of people on here are casual fans pretending to know what they are talking about based on the stat sheet.

One of Canada's worst forwards? Sucked? Give me a break, he's consistently been creating chances, winning faceoffs, and winning pretty much every battle for the puck on the boards(I'd go as far as saying dominating along the boards, as usual). I, personally, think he is passing too much, trying to force it sometimes rather than taking a decent opportunity to shoot himself.

He's a point a game at the ****ing olympics, and has blatantly created (by himself) enough opportunities to have way more points, if not for certain "snipers" missing a bunch of prime opportunities, and a couple close calls.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Nordic*

Let's say we have the group of three forwards considered the best in the world in Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin - none of them have been among the best in this "best of the best" tourny. Heck, they all had trouble with marginal players from marginal nations.

No sc superstar from the NHL has been dominant here - kovalchuk was useless, the one everyone assumes will win the Norris, Duncan Keith - has been thoroughly outplayed by several defencemen - atleast one of his own team, Weber.

The utter crap this has been dragging Lidstrom down for two consecutive years aka Rafalski, is leading the Olympics in points if I'm not mistaken? Atleast for defencemen.

All other top goalies in the NHL but Miller has been struggling, Lundqvist was atrocious when it really mattered - Brodeur got thrown out, Luongo then came in and let in a couple of softies.

This tourny has been weird.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Fighter
Legend

He's been pretty average, didn't really notice him. Other players have stepped up luckily for Canada.

Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
leafsfuture

On Wikipedia and in the Toronto Star it says that Crosby has 3 goals.

I thought he had 2: one against the Americans and one against the Germans

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
goleafsgo87*

Crosby will wake up on sunday.

goleafsgo87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
On Wikipedia and in the Toronto Star it says that Crosby has 3 goals.

I thought he had 2: one against the Americans and one against the Germans
Switzerland, the shootout goal counts because it was a game winner.

Old
02-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Let's say we have the group of three forwards considered the best in the world in Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin - none of them have been among the best in this "best of the best" tourny. Heck, they all had trouble with marginal players from marginal nations.

No sc superstar from the NHL has been dominant here - kovalchuk was useless, the one everyone assumes will win the Norris, Duncan Keith - has been thoroughly outplayed by several defencemen - atleast one of his own team, Weber.

The utter crap this has been dragging Lidstrom down for two consecutive years aka Rafalski, is leading the Olympics in points if I'm not mistaken? Atleast for defencemen.

All other top goalies in the NHL but Miller has been struggling, Lundqvist was atrocious when it really mattered - Brodeur got thrown out, Luongo then came in and let in a couple of softies.

This tourny has been weird.
Yeah, I think if you look at any of the best-on-best tourneys from '96 on, most times the NHL scoring leaders aren't the Olympic scoring leaders.

Even a guy like Sakic, who's hailed as a hero for 2002, had only scored 3 points in 6 Olympic games going into the gold medal match. Even after his 4 point game, he finished tied with John LeClair for 3rd in tourney scoring behind Sundin and Hull.

People tend to get amnesia when waxing about past tournaments sometimes.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
drew1234

Crosby has been fine. He has created scoring chances just that his linemates havent capitalized.

Crosby digs in the corner/back checks and has done a great job. I was a little disapointed in Staal against the Slovaks as he was weak in the corners and outplayed. Staal also needs to play his game. He tried to setup Crosby a few times and his pass was intercepted. Play your game. Put it on net and hope for garbage goals. Especially this point of the olympics.

Now Iginla... floats, I havent seen him win a battle in the corners oh wait its Crosby and Staal that actually go in. When he gets a chance he misses the net 70% of the time. No one is screening the goalie and he just shoots his hardest which hits the goalie in his chest.

I dont understand. When you see Crosby on the other side going towards the net shoot for the pads on the far side so Crosby can punch in a rebound. Nope he either misses the net or shoots at him. If the goalie can see the puck make sure its a low shot far side so theres a rebound. But thats just me. Yes Iginla has 5 goals yippe. 3 against Norway and 2 against Germany?? What about USA/Russia/Slovakia aka better goaltending teams?

People need to play there games and be smart about creating 2nd chance opportunities instead of trying to get the big goal themselves. If the opportunity is there then yes go for it. But if its not just dont fire a shot where a rebound is not possible. Makes zero sense.

drew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:59 AM
ForzaItalia

What happened to the argument about having crappy wingers to play with in Pittsburgh?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
SilverSeven

I think he has been great. People are going to ***** because he isnt getting a ton of points (even though he is PPG), but on a team like this he doesnt need to. The offence is very well spread out.

He is doing so many things to help the team out there. He has been one of our best players.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:02 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
What happened to the argument about having crappy wingers to play with in Pittsburgh?
He does have crappy wingers in Pittsburgh, and he still led a good but not great team to a Stanley Cup.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
Heading into the Gold medal game, what do you think of Sidney Crosby's performance thus far at the Olympics?

The greatest players usually use these types of tournaments to cement their place in history and there was so much hype for the last few years about how this Olympics would be the Ovechkin and Crosby show (ironic now since they were both busts in the big Russia vs Canada game).

So what do you think of Crosby's performance with one and the most important game to go? Early on I was in Crosby's corner, I was in the group that thought he played well when it counted against the U.S and should have got more ice time that game, but now in answer to the question, I'd have to say I've been disappointed in his play. I don't think he has stepped up. If it wasn't for the rest of the team coming together, I think he would be taking a lot of heat, but when the rest of the team wins, stars can escape the attention.

Tonight was a good example, I thought Crosby was pretty invisible, but at the end of the first intermissions the Canadian announcers say going into it Crosby and Thornton needed to step up and Crosby has done that. Huh? Even Pierre McGuire said "Crosby has done a lot of good things in the 1st, but..." (which is about as harsh as McGuire will get on a Canadian star). Crosby and linemates (at some point I think we have to stop blaming the coaches for not finding the right linemates) couldn't get it don to expand the lead when it was 2-0, and the Getzlaf group came through instead. Then Crosby had a bad turnover that almost led to a goal against and a few other sketchy decisions defensively.

So, thus far I'd say he has been disappointing. But of course his reputation will be formed with the Gold medal game. But it continues like this, even if Canada wins, I'd say Crosby has been rather ineffective rather than standing out and being one of the better players in the tournament or even on his own team.
What a made up bunch of crap. Cementing ones place......I guess AO is now crap and Wash may as well dump him before Mar 3 in the want a playoff run. Crosby has been creating chances. Maybe wait until things are over before you start this and what about last years playoff run.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:08 PM
drew1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalberg View Post
I used to wonder if some people actually watched the games, but now I understand there are a lot of people on here are casual fans pretending to know what they are talking about based on the stat sheet.

One of Canada's worst forwards? Sucked? Give me a break, he's consistently been creating chances, winning faceoffs, and winning pretty much every battle for the puck on the boards(I'd go as far as saying dominating along the boards, as usual). I, personally, think he is passing too much, trying to force it sometimes rather than taking a decent opportunity to shoot himself.

He's a point a game at the ****ing olympics, and has blatantly created (by himself) enough opportunities to have way more points, if not for certain "snipers" missing a bunch of prime opportunities, and a couple close calls.
Totally agree. You cant look at the stat sheet. The battles that crosby wins down low the chances he generates. Sure his linemates hasnt capitilized and thats their fault. All Sidney can do is create chances and win battles.

Some nights you can create 10 chances and 1 goes in.
Other nights you can create 4 chances and 3 go in.

But if I consistantly get 5-6 scoring chances from one player versus 2 from another id play the guy giving me 5-6 as soon those pucks will go in. Its a number game.

Iginla needs to step up imo. Doesnt work down low to create chances and is a sniper. If hes a sniper he has to score or create rebounds from his shots. Otherwise hes not doing his job. Staal is digging down low and Crosby so Iggy you gotta be better.!!

drew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote