HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who would you trade Price or Halak?

Old
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
The Chef*

vCash: 500
Keep Price. But the kid needs time.

Price is gonna be one of those players that Montreal is gonna regret trading if they do.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
Right because top 10 picks are always guaranteed to be elite players in the NHL, where as those from the 6th and 7th rounds never play or make impacts. Solid argument.
Way to twist my argument... If you're drafted 5th overall there's a reason (scouts see things in you) where as when you're drafted in the 9th round it's because scouts don't see as many things in you.

That hard to understand?

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:57 PM

I hope Gauthier will have the balls to keep Halak and trade Price.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The eyeball test doesn't lie. Halak is the better goaltender. The Olympics may have clinched it for even Habs management.
So 4 olympic games now means Montreal should trade their best asset?

In the NHL Halak has done nothing.

Old
02-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Frank Drebin

I'd trade either (or both) of them for a decent return. Good goaltending actually can come pretty cheap (ask PHO, COL, Van) and generational goaltending is just as much of a crapshoot as anything.

You want to overpay a little bit, you can take either of them.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I'd trade either (or both) of them for a decent return. Good goaltending actually can come pretty cheap (ask PHO, COL, Van) and generational goaltending is just as much of a crapshoot as anything.

You want to overpay a little bit, you can take either of them.
Why would Montreal do that?

Old
02-27-2010, 02:01 PM
teddygmr

trade Price and both Kostitsyns to Edmonton for Brule, Jacques, Jeff D-Deslauriers and Souray!
Clears out 3 habs with character issues and brings in size and talent for the playoffs.
Big Deslauriers can be a fine back up to Halak and habs pp has never been the same since Souray left!

teddygmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:03 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
trade Price and both Kostitsyns to Edmonton for Brule, Jacques, Jeff D-Deslauriers and Souray!
Clears out 3 habs with character issues and brings in size and talent for the playoffs.
Big Deslauriers can be a fine back up to Halak and habs pp has never been the same since Souray left!
Thank God your not our GM.

Keep both..

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Why would Montreal do that?
If someone wants to overpay for either, neither of these two are untouchable, and both are replaceable.

Last edited by Frank Drebin: 02-27-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The eyeball test doesn't lie. Halak is the better goaltender. The Olympics may have clinched it for even Habs management.
Nittymaki was the MVP in the 2006 Olympics. Playing in 4 Olympic games means nothing.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Trade Price right now, one more year playing like this and his value will be down to nothing
Have you even watched him play this year? He's played well this year especially with Montreal's brutal defense, the only reason he hasn't played as much is because Halak has been awesome.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Way to twist my argument... If you're drafted 5th overall there's a reason (scouts see things in you) where as when you're drafted in the 9th round it's because scouts don't see as many things in you.

That hard to understand?
Yeah, I guess it is. I put far more stock into the organizations development program than a generally hit-or-miss scouting system. I mean look at Hiller, he went undrafted, twice. Now he's the man. Trevor Kidd was drafted 9 spots ahead of Martin Brodeur. Patrick Roy was drafted 51st overall (3rd round) behind Craig Billington, and Daryl Reaguh. Dominik Hasek was taken 199th overall in 1983. Draft stock (especially for goalies, it probably has a little more merit for skaters) has little to do w/ the actual production of goalies.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Haute Couturier

I think it depends.

I think Price still has the biggest upside so if I was the Habs GM it would be tough to deal him, but if they feel Halak can be a top 10 goalie in the league then it might make sense to get a king's ransom for Price and keep Halak.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:26 PM
LF Oil

I'd say keep Halak and trade Price. I don't think they'll be able to afford to keep both of them.

LF Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Take your pro francophone attitude and GTFO Though, I guess no one told you Brule isn't from Quebec.

Habs pp was number 1 with Streit. It was number 1 when we got Schneider and iirc it's sitting at number 2 right now. Actually, it got better without Souray, or at least the whole team came together for a bit for that great year where they finished 1st.

So, you fail.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
The value we get for Price now is far below the value he will ultimately command in his prime years. I respect your opinion though about Halak's potential, it, perhaps, could be as high as Price but we have to give Price the chance to catch up in terms of years to him. As far as experiene goes though, think about it, Price has played 129 games while Halak is barely breaking 70+ while being 2 years older. Halak's trade value is something Vokoun-like, but when I think about Price's value, I **** in my pants.
You dismantle you're own opinion with the sentence before it. How would Halak fetch Vokoun's value when he only has 70+ games and Vokoun has 500+ games. And yes, maybe right after the World Juniors Price would have commanded a high return, but in the NHL today with so many fantastic young goalies, he would need to prove himself to get the amount you think he will. You seem way too sure of Price becoming dominant when he has only shown that ability at lower-levels. Don't count you're chickens before they hatch, it's painful...just like I did with Jamie Storr.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Halak has 2 major flaws that cannot be really improved.

His size will always give teams with big bodies the chance to get goals by getting pucks on net with traffic. He just can't cover too much net if he can't get out of the crease.

His rebound control will probably never improve much since that problem lies within the style he plays, and I can't think you'd want to change what got him to the point where he is.

I'd rather iron out Price's 'mental lapses' issue than having those 2 glaring problems that can't be built on much.

So I'd be more willing to gamble Price will work it all out and end up being better than Halak, who's just been fantastic in the NHL. Can't take that away from him.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:51 PM
chromemaro

would price have such a negative rap if he wasn't thrown into the fire for the seemingly pointless huet to wash trade?

i think its hard to pick a goalie because mtl has handled the situation horribly

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Andy

Halak has more value right now and both goalies will probably end being the same in terms of the final product.

The way I see it, both goalies haven't proven anything yet. Halak had a good two months and started to slip as we were coming closer to the Olympic break. Halak is just as unproven as Price seeing as he has only played 70 career games.

Also people are exaggerating his performance at the Olympics. He had a great game against Russia, no one can take that away from him, but people are not giving credit to the Slovakia defense. Their defense was so tight, they gave hardly any team any room to breathe in the offensive zone.

Slovakia's team was well structured from top to bottom rather than depending on their goalie to steal them games.

It's easy to hate on Price right now and people are taking that opportunity to heart.

Montreal won't give up on Price, it's pretty clear. If Halak doesn't get traded at the deadline, he will be moved at the draft.

You don't trade 22 year old goalies with a career SV% over 0.910 and a GAA under 3.00.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
habs pp has never been the same since Streit left!
Fixed.

That said, I wouldn't trade either goalie right now. They're both far too young and years away from their prime years to truly determine who the better goalie will really be. Of course, that won't stop the self-proclaimed experts around here from deciding who's already better a mere 3 years into their NHL careers. Typical HFBoards.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Marky9er

Quote:

That hard to understand?
Not really, scouts really don't see much at all (IN BRATISLAVA!)

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
GotKush*

I think Price is better and Hab fans need to be patient. Goalies take longer to develop and I just like Prices mechanics. Once he gets the mental part figured out hell be an excellent goalie. I dont know just my opinion, but the reason why Halak has to make so many saves is because the guy has brutal rebound controll. I think this will eventually catch up to him unless he has an unreal defence

GotKush* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Keep Halak. Price sucks.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:34 PM
illiterati

While keeping both is the prudent answer, with the economics of the sport being what they are, a team probably can't carry two high-dollar goalies.

In that instance, I trade Halak. Reasons mentioned above, he's small, and his value will likely not be higher any time soon and you've got to maximize that return if you can. I'm not totally sold on Price's chance to reach his potential, as headcases are not often great goalies, but he's showing flashes and maybe gets you by until then.

If I thought Montreal had a shot at a deep playoff run, though, my answer would likely be different.

illiterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKush View Post
I think Price is better and Hab fans need to be patient. Goalies take longer to develop and I just like Prices mechanics. Once he gets the mental part figured out hell be an excellent goalie. I dont know just my opinion, but the reason why Halak has to make so many saves is because the guy has brutal rebound controll. I think this will eventually catch up to him unless he has an unreal defence
It feels nice to see that other people are noticing this other than habs fans. Most are in denial and actually claim that there is nothing wrong with Halak's rebound control. I can guarentee that he generates at least 10 more shots a game because of his rebounds.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote