HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

doing a presentation on 3 different hockey shots

Old
02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
glasgow26

vCash: 500
doing a presentation on 3 different hockey shots

Hey all, I'm doing a presentation next week for my communications class on how to do a slap shot, wrist shot and snap shot. I need to explain, rather than show, the steps involved in achieving a good shot for each of the three shots. I was just wondering, since it's been a while since I've played and have forgotten some of the technique, if any of you could help me out with explaining the steps. Thanks.

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:57 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Dunno if these are any help. They do a pretty good job of spelling it out. Can't find a WS one though.

Snap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYEE7tZhRtk
Slap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009BZWif8-I

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:08 AM
HowToHockey

Well... Try not to plagarize, but I have basically exactly what you need on my website. I have the how to take a wrist shot, and slap shot, nothing yet for the snap shot though.

Here is a video I did as well for the wrist shot

Last edited by HowToHockey: 02-27-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: youtube video
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Well... Try not to plagarize, but I have basically exactly what you need on my website. I have the how to take a wrist shot, and slap shot, nothing yet for the snap shot though.

Here is a video I did as well for the wrist shot
You missed two major parts, pull with your top hand and push with your bottom hand and roll your wrists.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
You missed two major parts, pull with your top hand and push with your bottom hand and roll your wrists.
True, he didn't say that, but he did demonstrate it. Cool intro/outro graphics btw

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
True, he didn't say that, but he did demonstrate it. Cool intro/outro graphics btw
noobs wont know that. Not saying it was a bad vid, just pointing out that two big parts of a wristshot were left out.

Old
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
It is difficult for C.B. to compliment anyone for the work they did so he never does.

I thought it was a good presentation.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
CanadaBacon

You put me on ignore and still troll

Old
02-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, here's my theory:

Pure wrist shots are only a push-pull motion of the forearms. This is a really good example of the mechanism:

The physics is that the stick acts as a lever. As the top hands move a little bit, the bottom of the stick moves a lot. Combined with the forward momentum of skating, this is how you get power. Ilya Kovalchuk, Marian Hossa, Sidney Crosby are all really good at this type of shot. A lot of times when guys use short, stiff sticks, this is their shot.

Snap shots involve a lot of loading of the stick. Rather than using mostly a push-pull with the stick as a lever, the shooter transfers weight through the bottom hand to load the stick while pulling back hard on the top hand, creating even more flex, then releasing towards the target. Think Ovechkin, Brett Hull, Joe Sakic. A lot of time you'll see the bottom hand dropped down and the player leaning their shoulders more vertical with the bottom shoulder dropped.

The slap shot combines the weight transfer and stick loading of the snap shot with a rotational spring like energy. When you wind up, you coil your torso one way, then come down and rotate the torso in addition to transferring the weight, loading the stick, snapping the wrists, push-pull, etc. You're getting as many types of energy transfer as possible, and when done correctly you can achieve those huge top speeds. The Nick Lidstrom slapshot site tells you all you need to know.

All the shots also have a snapping of the wrists that puts spin on the puck at the release. This keeps the puck flying flat, which allows it to cut through the air and increase velocity and accuracy. If you wanted to demonstrate this, toss a frisbee without snapping your wrist and then with snapping your wrists.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote