HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jamie Lundmark

Old
02-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Jamie just doesn't have it to be THAT player. Could the Rangers have handled his situation better? Sure.. but they didn't cost him his career. In his defense, I don't think he's killing them in this article, just stating his opinion.

I love half the people here are killing the Rangers for not using him year 1 when he had the great preseason, and the other half are killing the Rangers for 'rushing him.' You want to blame the Rangers - blame them for the pick - not the development.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
not jamies fault when hes a 3rd liner drafted in the 1st round. same with manny
Perhaps. But I watched Jamie enough in Hartford and he was royally screwed. Just like most of our prospects. He had good instincts. I'll never forget he finished off his rookie year strong and then after a great preseason playing with Holik, he got buried on 4th line thanks to Messier. Messier's 2nd Ranger stint was a disgrace.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:38 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Jamie was always an immature player. Even so far as to be considered a brat at times.

He never "got it" while he was here. He was given time on the top lines and never did squat with the time.

He wasn't ruined here at all. He ruined himself by not applying himself correctly.
There is something to the poor development and coaching thing but I tend to agree with you. Lundmark had a fabulous draft year--there were some even suggesting he'd be the best player out of his draft--and he made a good run at a Ramgers job in his first camp afterwards. When he was sent back to the WHL he sulked, forced a trade to Portland so he could be with one of his buddies (I think it was Barrett Heisten)--never really was the same player again. He regressed on his own at least somewhat. If I remember he wasn't having a happy home life--his parents were divorcing.

As a Ranger--he didn't always put in a very good effort--didn't seem all that interested in putting in some time in the AHL--sometimes shied away from contact and needed to clean up some defensive coverage problems--and he didn't score very much.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:51 AM
bubba5

Rangers ruined him because they were trying to show the fans they had some youth on aa team of old men, but he rarely got a shift and bounced around going back to WJC during the season too.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:47 AM
otto1219

I really feel that only quarterbacks and pitchers are the only positional players in sports that can organizations can "ruin". Because those positions have so much pressure on success that it can really ruin the confidence a talented player has. That being said, did Jamie have a tough time early in his career with playing minutes and going back and forth to the minors? Yes. Did Jamie do anything substantial to really take advantage of his time in New York? No. Has Jamie done anything substantial to take advantage of his time in any organization? No.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html
This was Patrick Stepan draft, it was awful. Go through round by round, you have the Sedins, Tim Connoly, Martin Havlat, Martin Erat, Ryan Malone, Garret Exelby Mike Comrie, Radim Vrbata, Ryan Miller, and Henrik Zetterberg. These were essentially (minus a few ok defensemen) the only players that really amounted to anything in the eight rounds of the draft.

I just feel, like we all though of Pavel Brendl in the same year, that because we had two top ten picks that we were guaranteed greatness, when in reality we were unlucky that it was a really weak draft and our draft picks were really nothing that spectacular. And please, i am not trying to bring Brendle into this into argument.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
rangerjoe

Horrible drafting in those spots they were taken, same with Brendl and Malhotra...and don't get me started on Jessiman. Can you say "Parise"?

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Whoever's fault it was... as a man you don't blame others... you just try harder to change things.

Blaming the Rangers isn't gonna help him turn things around.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I remember how frustrating it was that the Rangers took so long to give him a shot. He may have had a lot of chances, but I can't really disagree with his quotes about his time here.
The guy played one year in Hartford after finishing his junior career. That wasn't "so long". He played 55 games in the NHL the next year.

The only reason it may have been "so long" before they have him a shot is because everyone bought into the hype that he was going to be this awesome player for the Rangers and they wanted him in the lineup right away.

Fact is that he just wasn't that good. There's some legitimate gripe with how the Rangers were run back then and especially the coaching quality, but Lundmark got his chances. He just wasn't good enough to earn a top six spot.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Two words : Knee Injury. Never came back from it while here. I think it was Mike Peca's submarine.
Yeah, I remember that hit -- disgusting. It also ended a run of games where Jamie Franchise actually looked like he was starting to "get it" at the NHL level, if I recall correctly.

My favourite part of the article is actually in the comments:

Quote:
Hey Leaf fans, how did Phaneuf do in the figure skating tonight?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Fletch

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread except the first one, but it fully explains why he didn't live up to his billing. By blaming his lack of ice time on his development shows that this kid isn't taking responsibility for not playing up to his billing. My issue with him was I thought he had a sense of entitlement due to his status as a #1 pick. He just confirmed my thoughts. I actually thought Low gave him too much opportunities and work well with him to find what worked. But he showed that he couldn't do it consistently and his smallish frame didn't help. Oh well...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
The Rangers haven't been the best at developing players but the blame isn't all their's. It's a lot easier for Jamie to say that "the NYR hindered his development" then it is for him to say, "I didn't live up to expectations" or "I'm just not good enough to be a regular NHLer". Instead he moans and Canadian press need something positive to say about the most followed Canadian team, so why not prop up a waiver wire acquisition as a potential late bloomer and get some fans excited.

Don't wanna seem harsh, I hope the guy does well and all, but get over it kid, you're a tweener, prove otherwise and make yourself a career. You were decent in the minors though you didn't light it up and for the games you played on Broadway, you didn't show a lot of flash either.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Fletch

Lundmark is one case I thought the Rangers did what they had to and it was on Jamie to take advantage. Low had him playing the PP as a 20 year old. I think he didn't score a point in his first 13 games, averaging about 12 minutes per night and some PP time every game (this is from memory, so the actual numbers may be off). He goes to the minors, puts up good numbers (although I think he had a hattrick that skewed the numbers) and ends the year OK numbers-wise. Then he has a down year, including mediocre numbers (for a potential NHLer). I don't think there are many top 6 forward NHLers who put up his numbers as a 23 year old. Development or not, he played enough hockey from 20-23 years old to be dominant at an AHL level. As I mentioned, this was on him. He had the opportunity but unfortunately had a sense of entitlement, which is exactly what I thought the kid wasn't prior to his second season with the Rangers.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Well enough to get waived.

Both our drafting and development absolutely sucked in the first half of the previous decade and we're paying for it now.
True the drafting back then sucked... but Lundmark and Brendl were supposed to be just about sure bets... Very highly regarded everyone.... All the experts mentioned the Rangers scored big time with that draft and etc.. Unbelievable how both of these guys busted...

This is a big reason why I try not to get so high about prospects right now such as Kreider, Stepan, Grachev, Sangs and etc... Lundmark and Brendl were even more highly regards than than the above listed..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Our draft recod is horrible. 7 years of no playoffs and we have nothing to show for it.

We got lucky with Henrik later on...

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:49 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Our draft recod is horrible. 7 years of no playoffs and we have nothing to show for it.

We got lucky with Henrik later on...
really good point.. If a team does not make the playoffs for 7 years in a row, there has to be some players drafted during this time that are making an impact for the Rangers at the NHL level....

Hank.. What a steal!!

Anyone else?... Was Dubinsky and Staal drafted during this time? I don;t remember..

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:10 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Ahhh....Jamie Lundmark.

The player most scouts at the time of his draft were comparing him to Jeremy Roenick/Steve Yzerman.

He didn't pan out for several reasons, but considering the Rangers inability to develope a cold let alone a decent prospect, I kinda lean towards the Rangers not taking the proper time to allow this kid the time needed to get it.

He spent 3 seasons in NY, 2 of which he had no business in the pros (02-03 and 03-04) He as much as Manny were both rushed to the pros and it cost them both.

He could have been a different player had he been given the proper time and teaching to develope properly.
You sir have a great grasp of the obvious, NY is a animal no damn kid should take on till mentally they prove they are ready. He was rushed plain and simple. The apple ate him up.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:37 AM
gotmonte

But Brendl had like what, 200+ points in his playing year of his draft year? We all thought we had the next Bure or Molgilny

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
i was going to post this article. One line really stood out to me.

"A first-rounder going into New York is obviously a lot of pressure," he said. "I was young, but also, our team was old. We had a lot of veteran, all-star players who needed to play minutes. Really, I don't think I learned a lot in the first couple years of my career, and I think that kind of set me back."

Is it just me or does he just sound really immature? He has been given so many opportunities to succeed in a variety of playing styles and teammates and has never been anything more than just average.

Instead he blames his minutes early in his career on his failure in New York? I understand he was bouncing around, but this is quite common in the NHL. Players are recalled for a day and don't play and then go back to the AHL, its part of growing experience. He was a bust, that simple. He is 29 and has played only 280 games. Marc Staal is 23 and has played in 224. That alone should say something about how coaches view him.
He should have said "Its hard to have success when you are hyped and believe the hype, in combination with having no clue what it takes to be successful in the NHL".

Lundmark never tryed to become even decent away from the puck. When put on a 3rd/4th line as a kid, he declared that he was a top 2 line player. And what not....

That would never happened today. He would see other kids in camp do what it takes, and be forced to do the same just to compete with his peers. That wasn't the case just 10 years ago.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

There were a lot of factors in Lundmark not becoming the player he was projected to be. Remember, there was a point when he was playing on the 3rd line with Messier and John Tripp, and he had something like six goals in 10 games. He was derailed by a nasty knee-to-knee hit from Michael Peca. The problem became that he was given an opportunity in 2003-4, when Renney came in, and he had like 1 point in 50 something games. Supposedly, he went to Hartford in 2004-5 with a lousy attitude, and was passed by the likes of Dom Moore and Jarkko Immonen. He was being outplayed in pre-season that year.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I guess there will always be a spot for him somewhere around the league when injuries occur, at least as a part-time NHL player spending time in the AHL the rest of the time. But the bad attitude hurt him more than anything else. He can blame his early struggles on being drafted into a bad situation with the Rangers, but it's not like he's been stuck here his entire career. Why haven't things worked out in Phoenix, LA or Calgary? He's just a bland player. When you don't have impressive physical attributes and you don't have exceptional drive either, what is there?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:43 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The Rangers and Jamie Lundmark both deserve an equal share of the blame. I don't disagree with any of his comments. This team was horribly managed, horribly coached, and he was placed in crappy situations. Still don't understand why he was traded for garbage like Jeff Taffe. That team wasn't expected to go anywhere. Why not give him one more shot?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The Rangers and Jamie Lundmark both deserve an equal share of the blame. I don't disagree with any of his comments. This team was horribly managed, horribly coached, and he was placed in crappy situations. Still don't understand why he was traded for garbage like Jeff Taffe. That team wasn't expected to go anywhere. Why not give him one more shot?
I think alot had to do with his overall attitude. Weren't the Rangers pretty high on Jessmen than to?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
But Brendl had like what, 200+ points in his playing year of his draft year? We all thought we had the next Bure or Molgilny
No, we all thought we either had the greatest Czech sniper ever, or a total waste of time. He was the ultimate boom or bust prospect, and unfortunately became the latter.

In the end that entire draft class was a disappointment, especially considering it was predicted to be so good.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Two picks in the top 20 and we got two busts out of it. The best thing we got that day was Jan Hlavac for gods sake. That should make the tank posters think twice from now on.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I guess there will always be a spot for him somewhere around the league when injuries occur, at least as a part-time NHL player spending time in the AHL the rest of the time. But the bad attitude hurt him more than anything else. He can blame his early struggles on being drafted into a bad situation with the Rangers, but it's not like he's been stuck here his entire career. Why haven't things worked out in Phoenix, LA or Calgary? He's just a bland player. When you don't have impressive physical attributes and you don't have exceptional drive either, what is there?
Sure looked like Lundmark had the drive while he was in Calgary... He always looked like he was working hard, and looked good no matter where Sutter played him. He just got caught up in the numbers game after the Flames traded for forward depth; otherwise, he'd still be there.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote