HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Making A Comeback...(1st Time Poster)

Old
02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
ledzeppelinfan1

vCash: 500
Making A Comeback...(1st Time Poster)

Hey everybody,

This seems like a good place to ask for some advice...

I just turned 30 and it appears that hockey is making a comeback here in North Central Arkansas. I had not played at all in the last6 years until last night...

and let me just say, I was completely exhausted.

I'm a pretty decent player...a scorer/playmaker with good hands and a quick wrister, but I was obviously not at the conditioning level that I remember being at. The game was so fast and I felt completely stressed out all the time. I made a few nice plays so there were some things to feel good about, but wow...yeah...I felt every bit of 30.

It doesn't help that I had 2 surgeries for appendicitis in January and I just recovered and went back to work this week after sitting around the house for 5 weeks.

Also, I deal with confidence issues when going into the corners because when I played last (about 6 years ago), I broke my foot going into the corner chasing a loose puck.

But...what I'm asking for I guess is advice for conditioning to help get my legs back to where they need to be and how some of you have gotten over confidence issues from past injuries and the like...

Any advice is appreciated.

GO BLUES.

ledzeppelinfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Well welcome to posting here firstly.

It depends how serious you are at playing and how often you plan to. Heck you are still just 30 .... you should still be healthy just fine. I'm 41 and play a lot so that keeps my stamina, I also deal with two types of anemia which leave me feeling rather fatigued on some nights which I cannot control. For the most part I'm fine though.

You could get an exercise bike, I want to get one when I have some cashflow for one. I can't run for long periods on a knee that is weird from a childhood injury thing.

I think you could use a bike or a gym membership for either a treadmill or exercise bike.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 02-26-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Webernaut

Eliptical (atleast an hour a day) is the best conditioning tool imo. Also, concentrate on eating right for a little while. It will help your overall health and improve stamina. Drink a **** ton of water all day everyday.

Hope that helps.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:13 AM
HowToHockey

You want to work that old heart of yours Look for some good cardio exercises, running can be tough on the knees, seeing as you are in Arkansas the weather should be decent most of the time.

Biking is a great way to build your cardio, and your legs. Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure used to hit the hills frequently (up hill biking is great for cardio and your legs) Judging by one of bure's hockey cards him and his brother used to roller blade as well (in short shorts)

Also swimming is really good, if you have creaky bones and bad joints swimming is the best way to go. There are 100 different exercises you can do in a pool. Most strokes are good for an overall body workout (go hard, try not to drown ) If you want to work the legs grab a flutter board hold it in front of you and kick your legs hard, you look funny, but it gives a nice burn!

Hope that helps

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Lario Melieux*

Well I can offer my experience...

Skated since I was 3. Played from 6yearsold-20y.o... Joined Military. Got Job. Lost Job. Went back to college at 27, playing D2, and after a full season, I've feel I've finally got my legs back. Before the season, I quit smoking 2 months in advance, ran a mile or two 2-3 times a week, and continued lifting as I had been for the previous year.

I was in good shape, however, HOCKEY SHAPE IS NOT THE SAME AS BEING IN SHAPE!!! The skating motion is hard to replicate off the ice, and the best thing you can do is skate, skate, and skate. But if ice time isn't available all the time off ice has to do. Stamina was the biggest issue for me, as I only had about 1 good rush up or down the ice, but I've found one exercise that helps the most with my stamina... unfortunately I didn't start using it until the end of the season...

Squats. No weights. Just squats with hands on the hips. Go for reps not weight if you want stamina. Start out with 3 or so sets of 50 a day and work yourself up to as many as possible. Once you get up to about 150+ reps, add 50 pounds or so to a bar. And in my experience, if this makes any sense, I've found that there are two different kinds of squats, and one of them works better for me.

One type you keep your knees over top of your feet, and you stick your butt out as you squat down.

The other type, the one that I feel helped me, is keeping your feet, hips, and shoulders aligned, back straight, while your knees go forward. Keep your hands on your hips, and your back straight as a board, always perpendicular to the ground, and move as if you were dropping your knees to the ground to kneel. Once you get low enough, not too low to the ground, just keep going up and down, maybe 6-12 inches per rep.

Again, that's just my experience on how I got my legs back. And again, HOCKEY SHAPE IS NOT THE SAME AS IN SHAPE! The best thing to do is get on the ice anytime it's available, and skate suicides, stay low, and go until the burn in your legs is too intense to bear.

Last edited by Lario Melieux*: 02-27-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
ledzeppelinfan1

Great tips guys...

I've appreciated every response. You've all said something I can definitely use.

Hey Lario, I favorited your site...its really awesome. Already read a few of the articles.

Good stuff.

One thing I'm also working on that maybe you can comment on, is trying to be less flashy and more efficient. I want to shoot more, instead of trying to always make amazing rushes to the net. I have a quick and accurate shot with a good release, but often times I neglect it in favor of showmanship...

I need to learn and impliment more of the fact that pretty goals have their place, but I would score a lot more if I used that 15-20 foot range a lot more with my lazer wrister. I'm very accurate on-the-fly, yet I just tend to over do it.

Old
02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
cmdrdredd

What helps me with my wind and leg endurance is what is called knee bends in the martial arts world and bike riding. Bike riding is self explanatory. Just push yourself harder and longer and faster. Eventually it will be easy. Knee bends is simply standing with your legs about shoulder width apart and bend your knees in a squat position so that your butt is about even with your knees or lower if you're so inclined. Hold it for a minute, rest 5, do it again for a minute. When a minute is easy do 2, then 3, etc. I've gotten to where I can hold it for 5. This really works to keep your legs strong over time in my experience. You could also swim often. That's good training for anyone, go for endurance more than speed. Steady laps and keep them going more and more.

As for getting confidence after injury that just takes time. I've never seen an easy or quick way. You just go out and work that part a bit at a time. Eventually you won't think about it I guess. Good Luck

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:59 AM
ledzeppelinfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
What helps me with my wind and leg endurance is what is called knee bends in the martial arts world and bike riding. Bike riding is self explanatory. Just push yourself harder and longer and faster. Eventually it will be easy. Knee bends is simply standing with your legs about shoulder width apart and bend your knees in a squat position so that your butt is about even with your knees or lower if you're so inclined. Hold it for a minute, rest 5, do it again for a minute. When a minute is easy do 2, then 3, etc. I've gotten to where I can hold it for 5. This really works to keep your legs strong over time in my experience. You could also swim often. That's good training for anyone, go for endurance more than speed. Steady laps and keep them going more and more.

As for getting confidence after injury that just takes time. I've never seen an easy or quick way. You just go out and work that part a bit at a time. Eventually you won't think about it I guess. Good Luck
I just favorited this thread because of this post...

I titled it...'Good Words'.

Thanks.

Old
02-28-2010, 01:59 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

I really like burpees. They are a great exercise if you want to build the high intensity, burst-of-speed strength hockey is known for. I second the bike riding. I have been commuting to work on a bike for the last two years and my heart has grown like the Grinch's on the day he decided to save Whoville.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:23 AM
cmdrdredd

Forgot to mention that when doing the knee bends keep your back straight and don't lean over. Also don't cheat by holding anything. Doing it with your back against a wall or post is a good way to keep your back straight. You want all the pressure to be on your legs, you will feel it burn a bit after some time and might even start shaking. Push through it.

I guess everything just takes time but you must push yourself to get any better.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote